Rotella T6 5w40 vs Mobil 1 0w40 For Polaris ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at using 1 of these 2 oils to use in my new 2011 sportsman, book says to use the weird 2w50 polaris oil... First time I had ever seen that.

Besides that, I drive mostly in the spring, summer and fall... will be rarely run in winter, that's what the sled is for
wink.gif
So it would be very rare it would be run below 0 degress celcius if at all.

A 5 liter jug of T6 can be had for like 34.99, it's 10+ a liter for 0w40 mobil 1... So what would be better for my driving conditions between these 2 oils for probably 75% summer driving

I also run my ATV just about always above 45 degrees or so, Honda. With that in mind I use an oil more for the hotter temps. In my case it's a 10w-40 but may go to Rotella 15w-40 on the next change.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
The Rotella is JASO-MA rated. That alone tips the decision for Rotella.

+1 If the Sportsman has a wet clutch that shares engine oil, then JASO-MA is almost surely a requirement. The Rotella T6 would get my nod over the M1 but do not forget about Rotella T. It is a good oil too and you can save even more dollars in the process.

I have a 2009 rzr and just did my first oil change(have not ridden very much)and I used the rotella t6 and a wix 51356 filter.

I don't believe the Sportsman uses a wet clutch.

Last edited:
Nope no wet clutch, just a cvt type system just like a sled

Everyone kept telling me, NO way stick with polaris oil, other oils wont flow well and you will cause more wear then the polaris oil and ruin the engine etc....

Last edited:
Seems weird Polaris would recommend a weight oil they do not even sale.Mine calls for 0w40 and they only make the 2w50.I would never buy the Polaris oil anyways but seems like they are loosing sales,or at least causing some confusion for the people that notice.

Originally Posted By: KoolG6
Nope no wet clutch, just a cvt type system just like a sled

Same set up as my Brute Force, however, my OM stated JASO-MA, perhaps it is because engine oil is also used in the front differential.

Rotella T6 or T would still be a good choice and if memory serves T6 is cheaper than M1 and T would be cheaper still. I run T in my 2 90cc ATVs for the kids and will likely run T6 in my Brute Force at the next OC.

I could be wrong, but just like Kawasaki, Polaris does not make oil so it is a major manufacturer bottling it on their behalf (I suspect that Conoco does for Kawasaki)--so that makes the "argument" of more wear less of a valid one.

I believe a small company in minnesota makes the oil, a company called lubetech or something....

I was also wondering maybe a 5w50 oil would be good...

Polaris and every other OEM do not make lubricants; they contract with oil companies for a generic product packaged under their label with a fancy name that cannot be cross referenced to anything when in fact they are common lubes. They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils.

With significant dollars at stake, it's not hard to understand why the OEM and the dealer want you to think the OEM is the only oil that is safe to use. The OEM's/Dealers want a monopoly on the products you use such as oil and filters and the owners manuals and warranties are written to affect that end.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Polaris and every other OEM do not make lubricants; they contract with oil companies for a generic product packaged under their label with a fancy name that cannot be cross referenced to anything when in fact they are common lubes. They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils.

With significant dollars at stake, it's not hard to understand why the OEM and the dealer want you to think the OEM is the only oil that is safe to use. The OEM's/Dealers want a monopoly on the products you use such as oil and filters and the owners manuals and warranties are written to affect that end.

I agree 100% ,that's why it surprises me that they no longer sale an oil that is recommended in probably every Polaris owners manual before 2010.2009 and earlier recommends 0w40 and now they only sale a 2w50.Surly someone has gone into a Polaris dealership and walked out with Out buying anything because they had none of the 0w40 oil that their manual says they need.

Last edited:
I have a 2010 400ho and used valvoline premium blue 5w-40 all summer last year now is has rotella t6 since that is what the duramax and ls1 get. No problems here oil still looked new when it came out after 423 miles.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils. [/b]

Show me any company that doesn't sell their product to make money? If you can, I bet they are not in business any longer.

That said there is nothing magical about Polaris branded oil, but there is nothing wrong with it either. It is a decent synthetic that seems to work just as well as other oils. The price seems to vary greatly because around here the Polaris oil isn't any more money than other brands and cheaper in some cases. Just because it is an OEM oil doesn't mean it is bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KoolG6
Looking at using 1 of these 2 oils to use in my new 2011 sportsman, book says to use the weird 2w50 polaris oil... First time I had ever seen that.

Besides that, I drive mostly in the spring, summer and fall... will be rarely run in winter, that's what the sled is for
wink.gif
So it would be very rare it would be run below 0 degress celcius if at all.

A 5 liter jug of T6 can be had for like 34.99, it's 10+ a liter for 0w40 mobil 1... So what would be better for my driving conditions between these 2 oils for probably 75% summer driving

I used the 5W-40 T6 Rotella in my Sportsman when the T6 first came out... worked fine. It's all I use in my King Quad... same results... works great.

I think the Mobil 1 is overkill. Especially given the price difference.

Save the money by getting the T6, and use it to get the best oil filter you can find.

Last edited:
I have used the Rotella T6 for the last year in my Suzuki EIGER I had great results this year T6 is going back in my EIGER and my Fathers Sportsman

many ATV guys in my club use 5w40 with confidence. I wold not loose any sleep over this. If your riding in -40 deg temps then maybe but at 0F or more, dont worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back