Hyundai's "Solar Glass"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how much UV protection that Hyundai's "Solar Glass" has? This is not the "Solar Green" that was simply a dye, my understanding is that the "Solar Glass" is a whole different animal. Anyone familiar with it or knows of anyone that works for a Glass Company that can find out? This glass is on my new 2011 Sonata. Just trying to decide if I need to tint or not. I would like to know the UV protection %.

Thanks,

Jeff

IMHO most non-rated automotive glass can cut up to approx 70% UV already.

Observations: my wifey's 02 camry LE and my 07 fit, both generic (non-specified) run-of-the-mill automotive glass already capable of cutting approx 70% UV. How can I tell? both myself and wifey are wearing "transitions" glasses that turn dark when UV is detected. Inside the car during bright daylight: it turns just a very light tint.

Q.

Take it to a tint shop, they have a meter that measures the level of UV that passes through the glass. Simply tell them if it measures above a certain # you will get your glass tinted. Most tint shops will have one of these on hand, especially if they do residential and commercial building tinting.

Jeff, you may find that information in Hyundai's service manual, or even the press information that comes out with new cars. For example, this is from Toyota's "New Car Features" document about the then-new 2007 Camry. It's a table that lists the UV and Visible Light Penetration for the glass in the Camry.

Panel / UV Reduction / Visible Light Penetration
Windshield / 100% / 70%
Front Door / 90% / 70%
Moon Roof / 93% / 20%
Rear Door / 90% / 70%
Back Window / 90% / 70%

As you can see most of the UV is already blocked by the "HSEA" or High Solar Energy Absorbing glass.

I think tinting is worthwhile anyway. My windows were also tinted by the dealership, to 40%. You can still easily see out, but the interior stays much cooler than without the tinting. After I bought my 2011 Camry, a co-worker bought a used 2008 Camry, and the windows on it were not tinted (but were still HSEA). He carried his to the dealer to have them tinted, and reports a dramatic difference in the interior temperature after a full soak on a sunny day.

Thanks for the Info, Unfortunatly I have not been able to get any info like you were able to get on the Toyota. I even called Hyundai Customer Service Line about it. No luck. I think I will go ahead an tint the windows. The "Solar Glass" I am sure is all that is needed, but I still feel the heat on my arm as I drive, That isn't good for a fair skinned guy like me. As for UV goes, the real thing I need to look out for, I am not sure which spectrum the OEM glass covers? You can burn your skin under different parameters than an interrior can. So the Tint may just be cheap insurance for a fair skinned guy like myself.

I will try to get it done next month before the "real" heat comes.

Jeff

Last edited:
All cars for almost 15 years now in the USA/Canada have been sold with solar glass as the standard equipment glass vs. green glass.

Hyundai does NOT use anything unique. They buy glass from KAM (Korea Autoglass, Hanglass Korea, and FYG China) and their glass is commodity quality. It is all "solar tint" type.

Don't confuse light transmission (which is <70+% by law) with UV protection.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
The plastic layer in laminated safety glass (your windshield) blocks most UVA and UVB light.

Correct and coatings in most solid glass (side windows) do also.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
All cars for almost 15 years now in the USA/Canada have been sold with solar glass as the standard equipment glass vs. green glass.

Hyundai does NOT use anything unique. They buy glass from KAM (Korea Autoglass, Hanglass Korea, and FYG China) and their glass is commodity quality. It is all "solar tint" type.

Don't confuse light transmission (which is div>

I don't think your getting it. This glass on my model is NOT on all Hyundai models. It is only on the higher end modles, the SE and Limited and is in the "Options" list on the window sticker for the car and states "Solar Glass". This is NOT "Solar Green" glass that they used to use. My Dad has a 2009 Sonata Limited that has "Solar Green" and its totally different looking glass.

So if it is the "same" glass in all the cars, then why do the base GLS Sonatas say nothing on the glass, and then my SE does, and its a totally different looking glass?

All I want to know is how much UV does it provide so I can decide on tint or not.

Thanks,

Jeff

What does the "bug" say. The bug is the info mark (standards, brand, etc.) on the glass.

I used to run a glass plant years ago and can decipher this stuff.

Something different than the base Sonata is interesting. Could be laminated side glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back