My Car Trunk Gets Flooded!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, hope everyone starts off with a good week!
Heres my dilemma: A few weekends ago, i noticed, after a good rainfall, somehow, I was getting about 1-2 inches of water in my 2001 chevy prizm trunk. The water accumulates under the carpet in the spare wheel cutout area. The trunk carpet is completely dry, somehow the water is getting down along the sides? I have no clue how its getting there, but its caused my spare wheel to get all rusty and nasty. How do I fix this, I cant tell if there are any leaks, I was thinking about drilling a drain hole in the floor of the trunk, but im absolutely terrified that the fuel tank is right underneath!
Any suggestions?

Lay in the trunk with a light while someone sprays water all over the gap between the trunk and the body.
If you dont feel like actually fixing it, the hole idea is a good one. Just look under the car. I doubt the fuel tank in under the trunk. A typical FWD car will have it right in front of the rear axle.

Places to look are the deck lid seal, tail lights, rear window etc... If it was ever in a crash, look at the weld seams.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Places to look are the deck lid seal, tail lights, rear window etc... If it was ever in a crash, look at the weld seams.

My '92 Accord had a similar issue, and the problem turned out to be loose nuts holding the taillight assembly in place. Also watch for bad seals on the tail lights.

One other possible source can be power antennas, if applicable.

If, when you pull the carpeting out of your trunk, you don't have any telltale trails of dirt or discolouration coming from the source of the leak, you can paint watercolor paint below the possible leak sources. The next time water runs in, it will wash away the paint in the affected area.

That watorcolor paint idea is a great idea if you are to big to get into the trunk or not comfy of tight spaces.

Great idea bud.

Taillights are #1 culprit. Seal around trunk #2. Back glass #3.

As stated, get in the trunk with a flashlight. If it's leaking that bad, should be fairly easy to spot if someone hoses it down good.

That sounds like that same type of design as the Neons had. When I got my used 95 Neon, the trunk was flooded. Ended up being the taillight gaskets.

What you need to do is to first determine *exactly* when you get water in the trunk. If you park the car in the pouring rain, does the trunk gets wet? If not, and it only gets when you drive, then look at your rear wheel well. You probably are getting the water spray from your tires entering in the trunk.

- Vikas

Had an 89 Prizm hatchback that had a minor fender bender in the left rear quarter panel. Damage was fixed, but a leak ensued that occasionally left the carpet soaked on that side. Took it back and the shop sealed the rear light area with silicone, still leaked.

Finally I decided myself that it was coming from somewhere in wheel well area. Decided take the bumper cover off on that side. Sure enough, there's a rectangular air vent down there that allows air to escape when the doors are closed. Some of the rubber flaps had been damaged/removed allowing water to come in, especially being thrown up off the tire. Replaced the vent from a junk yard, problem fixed. But, it took awhile to figure out.

fwiw, that was a great car. Might still have it, if it hadn't been totaled by my son not long after I found/fixed the leak. Accident wasn't his fault, but Prizm was done. Very reliable and low maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back