best add to help slow oil burn off

Status
Not open for further replies.
my girlfriends car is buring oil . she is needing the car to last until she gets out of dental school in a year. wondering if any of the oil additives would help slow how much oil its burning. ive looked at RESTORE, MMO, LUCUS heavy duty oil stabilizer. any of those help at all? she has been running 5w30 , we are going to use 10w30 next oci to see if the thicker oil will help. thanks for any advice.

1997 eclipes, 115,000 right now pennzoil yellow bottle or QS green, with napa gold, or pure one filter.

Originally Posted By: OKSTEVE
About a quart at 1900 miles. So call it 1.5 at 3k

To me, this is not excessive oil consumption; my Corolla burns a quart every 1000 miles. Your situation sounds perfect for a high-mileage formula oil. Give it a try...

mobil1 high mileage 10/30 would be my choice. if it doesnt stop try MMO or Kreen to clean the ring packs

gumout regane or chevron techron would be good to add in the fuel as well. it will clean out the carbon from all the oil burning

To oversimplify ,5w30 and 10w30 are the same grade(weight) at operating temp.The 5w just wont thicken as much when the engine is cold.The Maxlife idea is good though.I believe if the rings are a little sticky a thicker oil will ultimately hurt you,basically you'll be burning a thicker oil.If its valve seals the maxlife may help a bit.A piston soak(rings) with a good cleaner(Seafoam,Bg Products,Kreen,Amsoil powerfoam, etc)And good synthetic afterword not too thick and of course take care of the pcv valve.MMO can be a last effort cleaner in the 1k before the oci.

the Restore would help if the car was blowing smoke out the tailpiope.
Lucas will simply plug everything up because it's the equivalent of 140wt gear oil. 115k or not, a quart every 2000 miles is NOT excessive by any means.

Don't worry about it. Maybe try an oil for high mileage engines, but if that doesn't lower your oil costs, use regular oil. Try 15W-40 if you don't like the way 10W-30 works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back