One toasted IH 466 piston and cylinder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The background:

My buddy had been wanting to buy a second 4wd tractor as back up to his primary. On the day he went to pick it up from the seller (a buddy of his) he (seller) found coolant in the oil. So, he did a liner kit on the wounded cylinder, re-conned the rod and stuck a new rod bearing in. Buddy picks the tractor up (IH 4366)- actually I drove it home while he followed. Got it rigged for his equipment and went to the field... About 8 hours later the engine lugged down and when he punched the clutch in, it shut off. Rut-roh... He got out, did a walk around and found nothing amiss. Hopped up in the cab and hit the starter. Fired up... Finished his work and took it home. I was out the next and was getting ready to take it out myself. When it started, there was a definite knocking noise...

Here's what the autopsy revealed... #5 (the same hole that was kitted) was D.O.A. again.

IMG_20110508_173521.jpg

IMG_20110508_173511.jpg

IMG_20110508_173535.jpg

We're thinking that the injector is toast and dumping fuel. Now it's time to kit all six holes and replace the injectors... He's a parts guy, so he'll get a good deal on piston kits and injectors too...

I was amazed at how easy it was to tear apart. I had it done in a couple of hours, not trying too hard.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Ouch! Looks like the sound of fingernails on chalkboard.

I know... Nasty!

I agree that the problem could be an injector dumping fuel- although I would expect it to have a nasty fuel knock and some smoke if it's really dumping fuel that bad. Definitely looks like that piston got way too hot.

I've had a few DT466 engines apart, but I don't remember whether or not they had oil nozzles to cool the pistons. You might have a look at that. A bent or otherwise damaged oil nozzle can cause this sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure some iterations of the DT466 had oil squirters, but I don't think they all did. Definitely worth looking for.

if it is dumping that much fuel it should show up in a UOA

+1 if it has oil jets... That baby is toast... And I assume the others look okay?

if your stumped or want more advise I would hit up a IH forum like: http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php

A little slow but tons of good stuff on there. Even a few retired blue ribbon IH mechanics.

There are piston cooling nozzles, I've seen many people damage them during disassemble and assembly. Depending on the damage oil pressure would be low at idle (as in didn't put it back on). You would see piston face deformities if an injector was the case along with a heavy fuel knock and smoke. The piston cooler nozzle is the likely culprit. While you have the injector out it would be a good idea to have them tested, its cheap and good insurance. Remember to keep them clean, I have seen many failures due to improper or careless techniques. If the engine has been over heated it would be a great idea to do all liner o rings. You don't necessarily have to do a complete inframe kit although they are fairly cheap. Any other questions just PM me.

You see, this is one of the many reasons I like to frequent BITOG. Such a diverse knowledge base!

We will be doing an in chassis rebuild. New rod bearings, probably re-con the rods, and new liner kits w/ o-rings. Also, the cylinder head is at the shop now.

I didn't see any piston top deformities, though I did expect to...

I peaked in at the piston coolers this evening and they appeared to be un-harmed... From there I really don't know.

looks like what we called black death. in the chrysler 392 hemi used in a aa/fd. when the oil went bad cause the fuel deluated the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back