2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8 75k miles Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8 with auto transmission and about 75k miles on it passed down through the family. After looking through the records it looks like not much has been done to it except oil changes. I am going to plan on changing out most of the fluids here in the next few weeks.

First thing I am going to deal with is the the auto tranny. I was looking at valvoline maxlife for that, seems to have a good reputation and I can get good deals on it from advance auto parts. But what about the filter? is it worth dropping the pan to change it out? or is it still good for a while. Looks like chevy says 100k on it.

I have a 2000 5.3 Silverado, too. I have alternated between pan drops with filter change out and "T-Tech" changes that suck out the fluid with a machine. I do this every 50K miles, and it has worked great so far. 200K currently. I believe alternating between is the best of both.

With yours at 75K and 11 years old, do the pan drop/filter change now, and the fluid flush next time.

I agree. I'd do the pan drop and filter first then get the fluid done.

Chevy wants 75-90 syn gear oil in the rear so I'd do that. Lucky for you that your diff has a drain plug. (I'd not worry about taking the cover off for the magnet)

Do a few exchanges of fluid for the power steering and you'll be set. Make sure the brake fluid is taken care of if it has not been done within the last 2-3 years.

Bill

Jon,

You have a very nice vehicle there. I owned a 2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3L w/ 3.43 rear locker. Probably the best vehicle I've ever owned, until 100k miles. It all of the sudden went crazy with the ABS/Brake light on here and there, the gas gauge bouncing upon fill up, odometer not switching from trip to horn no longer worked and I think another small problem. Well all of this amounted to about $2500 worth of work to be done to get it all fixed and most of those problems I got the "well, we can try to fix it, but we can't guarantee it will work"...I got that on the Brake/ABS light, the Odometer switching and "possibly the fuel gauge" problems. Some folks thought it was the wiring/connections on the dash and there was ONE person in the whole US that the dealers were sending the dashes to in order to be fixed properly. That meant nearly 2 weeks dead in the water.

Anyway...

The truck rode like a dream, ran like a race car and was just all around a great vehicle. It would go 6-8k miles on the OLM. When I sold it at 100k, I suspect around 40% of the brake pads were left. Unbelievable, as I lived on a mountain at the time and would run up and down at least 4 times a day.

Be aware that the tranny pan has a drain bolt and they say it takes 6 gorillas and 8 cheater pipes to break it loose. I would drop the pan and change filter and clean it out since this is the first time.

I would also change the coolant and rear end dope. I believe GM calls for Syn gear oil and their locker additive.

Ended up taking it somewhere to get the tranny filter changed and the drain bolt replaced.
Any suggestions on types of differential fluid and weights? Don't have the manual on me so don't remember what it calls for.

Originally Posted By: Tennisjon2002
Ended up taking it somewhere to get the tranny filter changed and the drain bolt replaced.
Any suggestions on types of differential fluid and weights? Don't have the manual on me so don't remember what it calls for.

Was able to find a copy of the manual..
Calls for:
In the front: SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 1052271 or equivalent).

In the rear: SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 12378261)or equivalent meeting GM Specification 9986115.

And the transfer case: DEXRON-III Automatic Transmission Fluid.

I am thinking Mobil 1 in the rear and Valvoline Durablend in the front. Then Valvoline ATF in the transfer case. I can get all of these at Advance Auto Parts and get a great deal on them with coupons...

Last edited:
fyi...........................

scan0001-1.jpg

#PIP4054C: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns - keywords bind grab grind - (Aug 26, 2008)

Subject: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2000-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2002-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

2004-2009 Chevrolet Colorado

2003-2009 Chevrolet Express

2000-2009 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2000-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2004-2009 GMC Canyon

2002-2009 GMC Envoy

2000-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2000-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

2003-2009 GMC Savana

Equipped With a Locking Rear Differential RPO G80

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment on a chatter or shudder from the rear axle on vehicles equipped with an Eaton locking differential. This condition would be noticed in parking lot maneuvers, turning, or during locking differential engagement and may be more noticeable when the differential is hot. Locking differential clutch chatter may be causing this concern.

Note 1: This does not apply to vehicles equipped with RPO QS4 (Quadrasteer) which is part of option package NYS. Quadrasteer vehicles use Dana axles and have a different fluid requirement.

Note 2: This PI does not apply to vehicles equipped with a RPO G86 limited slip differential.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If differential clutch chatter is encountered in a vehicle equipped with an Eaton locking differential, flush, drain and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. If the condition returns replace the rear differential clutch plates and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. Refer to eSI for clutch plate replacement and set up procedures.

Note 1: Eaton locking differentials used in 10.5" rear axles are equipped with steel clutch plates. It is a design characteristic of these steel clutch plates to exhibit more clutch chatter than other models.

***Important: Installing any friction modifier causes the clutch pack in the locking differential to slip and miss engagement. A fluid flush can often remove debris that is a contributor to clutch chatter. Adding friction modifier additive can cause a loss of locking differential functionality***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back