Tried a new oil today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I will be disappointing saaber1 by not using Red Line 5W-40 anymore.
smile.gif
. I was running Red Line for 7,000 miles when saaber1 borescoped my valves at 10K. There was already buildup. So even a Ester based oil with a uber low Noack of 6% couldn't tame the beast of Direct Injection.

I bought Mobil 1 0W-40 on sale for $4.99 a quart. I was going to use it. Then at the last moment, I drove down the street at picked up the Pentospeed. I took your guys advice and went with a thinner oil then the Red Line 5W-40. I only live 4.2 miles from work. It all city streets. So the Pentospeed should fit the bill. It's still SL rated, so it should have more zinc then Mobil 1 0W-40. I believe it's more shear stable then the Mobil 1 0W-40 also. I will throw the Mobil 1 0W-40 in my girlfriends Jetta. As being a Direct Injection car owner. I will pay to have my intake valves clean every 15K-20K. It's just maintenance that these cars need every so often.

This is a VOA posted back in 07.

Pentospeed 0W-30 VOA

004-7.jpg

005-5.jpg

It's funny that the bottles still mentions 'black sludge' on the back, a specific reference to the 'black death' that plagued European engines in the early 1980's from hot-runing engines and poor-quality oil.

Unless you got a great price on this oil, don't understand why you just wouldn't use GC 0W-30. Much easier to get, and cheaper when on sale.....

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
As being a Direct Injection car owner. I will pay to have my intake valves clean every 15K-20K. It's just maintenance that these cars need every so often.

Just curious here about the direct injected engines needing their intake valves cleaned periodically. Can you explain this a bit further? Thanks in advance!

Good luck, I fear that only through advancements in the implementation of DI will deposits disappear. I don't think any oil can overcome this design flaw.

I'd be surprised if this oil had any more ZDDP than M1 0w40. Both are LL01/505.00/229.5/A3/B4. API specs really
21.gif
for Euro oils.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Where'd you buy this oil? I've never seen it at retail.

My local VAG parts store down the street from me carries it. I paid $39.47 for the 5 liter jug. I know I can get GC with a filter for $30.00 if I wait for Autozone to put it on sale. I thought I would try the Pentospeed out this OCI.

I should get my Red Line UOA back from Blackstone on friday.

I been driving around with this oil for a week. My butt dyno feels like the car is faster now. Even when I had just poured the Red Line in, it didn't feel like the Pentospeed does. The 15.0 @100c viscosity of the Red Line 5W-40 made the 2.0T feel smooth. The Pentospeed makes the car feel like it has more Horsepower. Maybe VW knows what they are doing with the 502.00 spec.
cool.gif

Finklejag said:
As being a Direct Injection car owner. I will pay to have my intake valves clean every 15K-20K. It's just maintenance that these cars need every so often.

How will you be cleaning your intake valves?

I will be doing the BG GDI service. I will have it done at one of my local VW shops. They have to remove the intake manifold for this service.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I been driving around with this oil for a week. My butt dyno feels like the car is faster now. Even when I had just poured the Red Line in, it didn't feel like the Pentospeed does. The 15.0 @100c viscosity of the Red Line 5W-40 made the 2.0T feel smooth. The Pentospeed makes the car feel like it has more Horsepower. Maybe VW knows what they are doing with the 502.00 spec.
cool.gif

RL 0w40 or 5w30 vs. 5w40.
grin2.gif

MPG report.

I drove to the Oregon Coast yesterday to see Joel McHale. It was 220 miles roundtrip. I averaged 34.9 for the trip. My GTI's window sticker states 31 mpg HWY. I'm happy with the mpg that the Pentospeed been getting over the Red Line 5W-40. The best I could do with the Red Line was 31.5 mpg. I'm heading down to California this weekend. I will report back after the 1200 mile trip.

Okay guys. 1300 miles trip. and I average 35.1 mpg. I had the cruise set at 73 for the whole trip. Too many Chips hiding along the way.

Haha not disappointed at all, quite the opposite as anytime we learn something that is the whole point! And I'm always after finding the best oil possible for the application. The way to do that is to try new things and experiment. There are lots of oils that we need more testing on for both the FSI and the TSI. Finding that the Pento gives better mpg than the redline is a fantastic discovery. A few mpgs improvement with current gas prices means a lot of cash savings.

That's an awesome mpg. Perhaps the 15ish cst redline 5w40 is too thick for the TSI? Not that many TSI UOAs out there yet but it certainly appears the TSI has better ring sealing than the FSI based on oil usage so that could be the dominant factor. Will be interesting to see the UOA of pento vs. the redline. Another note re MPG, my FSI went from somewhere around 29-30 hwy to 33-35 after cleaning the valves. It's down in mpg now a bit after about 5000 miles on M1 0w40. M1 0w40 deposits are horrible. Significant deposits in only 59 city miles which is crazy. Remains to be seen whether other oils will do better in terms of deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back