Castrol 20w-50 4 Stroke Motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Report from Blackstone Labs. 1983 Suzuki GS1100GK. Miles on oil: 1954. Miles on unit: 47,821. 1st column is my sample, second is 'universal averages'.

Aluminum 5 8
Chromium 1 1
Iron 8 15
Copper 3 25
Lead 2 6
Tin 1 2
Molybdenum 67 78
Nickel 0 1
Manganese 0 0
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 0 0
Boron 22 75
Silicon 6 20
Sodium 2 42
Calcium 1956 1333
Magnesium 7 242
Phosphorous 717 837
Zinc 998 991
Barium 0 0

Blackstone reports: "Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 1900 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use a little longer than that, and we found all wear from the engine at easily below average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filteration look OK. the Oils viscosity was low for a 20w-50, reading in the SAE 30W range @ 210F. We found nothing in the used oil that would cause a viscosity shift. No gas or moisture present. The TBN was 4.7 showing plenty of active additive left".

Properties:

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 69.6 should be: 82-95
Flashpoint: 400 should be: >385
Fuel AntiFreeze 0.0 should be: 0.0
Water 0.0 should be: Insolubles 0.4 should be:
the bike is a 1983 Suzuki GS1100GK which see's oil changes at 2k intervals. Right now I have switched to pennzoil 15w-40 LL due to the colder weather and Castrol not having a lighter weight MC oil.

What specific Castrol oil was this? Another one that shears in 2k, just pitiful! Great wear on this motor though.

Castrol 20w-50 4 Stroke Motorcycle oil. yea, it seems to have sheared quick, but remember this is an air-cooled shared sump bike. i am anxious to see what the Pennzoil 15w-40 LL does.

Typical shear-prone Castrol oil ... but excellent wear numbers for a bike with a shared sump. This bike does have a shared sump, doesn't it?

I'm surprised a "specialty motorcycle oil" has a typical (current levels) amount of moly in it. What's that all about?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Castrol makes two 20w50 4 stroke motorcycle oils, GPS and Actevo.

Actevo is mineral and GPS is "synthetic based" (what ever that means).

Which one did you use?

quote:

I'm surprised a "specialty motorcycle oil" has a typical (current levels) amount of moly in it. What's that all about?

Soluble moly's such as the MoTDC and the MoDTP don't coat the clutches like the powdered MoS2 versions. It's the powdered versions that cause problems.

The Castrol oil I have is labeled as "Castrol grand prix 4 stroke motorcycle oil" and looks simular to the Castrol dino bottles you find at Wally World and such. if you go to Castrol's website, www.castrolusa.com/products/default.asp and look under the motorcycle applications, you will see the bottle I used, 1st bottle, second row. As you can see, there are more than 2 varieties of Motorcycle oil.

[ November 07, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Tim H. ]

The wear numbers look good. I don't see any reason not to continue using it on that basis.

I don't know what that sells for but in the $5/qt range M1 15w50 might not shear as much.

What's Pennzoil 15w40 TT. An M/C oil?

Chris bear in mind that the trans gears are what are shearing the oil back so fast. So this really is not bad. Any dino oil you put into this environment is going to shear back quickly. Synthetic will shear less quickly but it too would shear! THe difference would be the levels of VI's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back