how to remove coffee stain on cloth seat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother car broke atm, so I take him to work every morning, and he alway have coffee with him, other day I was making a hard turn and his coffee was spill out, I dint pay attention, til today I reach over to clean my car,and found a BIG coffee stain on my cloth seat. !!!!!! wat product I need to use to remove that ? thanks

I had ink stains on my work shirt that wouldn't come out, so I picked up some chem dry stain and spot remover, and it took most of the stain out of the shirt. It left a faint stain mark where the ink used to be but 90% plus of the ink had been removed. Chem dry stain remover I've also used full strength Wisk with stain spectrum with a firm toothbrush, seems to get many stains out. Wisk detergent

Get a bottle of club soda or any other sparkling water. Pour it on the stain let it soak for about 15-30 seconds, pour another little bit on there and simply rub with a towel or soft brush.

I learned this little trick when I had a grease stain on my floor mat and a can of club soda fell out of my cup holder and viola the stain magically disappeared. Anytime I spill someone anywhere, and regardless of what it is the first thing to go on it is sparkling water.

I've used a salt water brine to remove coffee stains from carpet. Worked good and is cheap.

For anyone that ever has upholstery of any kind in the car or at home, I have always recommended a small extraction cleaner similar to the Bissel Little Green machines:

KoSAW_KEbkkik8z25cUmVfpKMEdnvVlJfWF.jpg

Mix up a little soap & water solution with some Oxiclean and you're good to go. Note: more soap is worse than less soap. Don't think more is better - the residual soap will attract more dirt!

The only issue with using one of these in your car is you won't be able to just spot clean it once you see the grungy water looks like in the extraction tank. You'll wind up doing the WHOLE INTERIOR... twice!

They're also excellent around the house, especially if you have carpet or rugs.

How much do those cost, and where's the best place to get them?
My wife's Elantra's cloth seats have some coffee and tea stains
frown.gif

(yeah she drinks - tea, coffee - a lot in the car)
My Tbird's rear seat has some sort of spot...not big, though...

Last edited:
Target has them as does Wal-Mart. $99 for the one that heats the water, $89 for non heated. The more expensive one barely heats so I don't think it's worth the extra ten. The machine itself works very well though, much better than I expected. Pre treat with Folex for carpets (Wal Mart) and it works like a charm.

Get your wet-dry vacuum cleaner. Wet the stained area with water from a wet cloth. Suck the water from the fabric. Repeat.

+1 for using an extractor or just a shop vac.

To remove the smell of aass from my work (08 Tundra) truck, I soaked a wash mitt in some cleaner (some laundry detergent in warm water is great), got the area pretty wet, and sucked it up with a shop vac. Repeat a few times and you'll have a clean seat.

The tricky part is getting it to dry. Either put a fan on it in a warm garage, or be willing to run it with the heater cranked for an hour or three.

You are thinking about removing the stain when what you ought to be doing is thinking about the long term.

Coffee stain is dark and it is durable. Better to get a spray bottle, fill it with old coffee from the gas station and apply a nice even coat over all of the upholstery to match the stain that your brother left. The spray bottle can be used to apply a bit at a time for the nice even rich hue that we all strive for.

Alternatively you can go for the eclectic Jackson Pollack look. Here, your local gas station's C store has all you need. Snag your self some packets of mustard and taco sauce. In the candy isle get Clorets brand chewing gum. Now go and find some of those twisty Italian cigars.

First park the car in direct sunlight and let it sit for an hour or so. This gently warms the pores of the fabric.

Light a cigar and puff on it enough to get it going and set it in the ash tray to smolder. You might have to take a puff now and then if it starts to go out. Chew several pieces of the Clorets gum.

Carefully cut a corner off the packets and grasp the diagonal corner and shake the packets as the muse guides you.

Take another couple of puffs to keep the cigar lit, and then take the gum and bite off random bits to place on the seats. Care should be taken not to get too large of a wad in any one place, but don't worry they will spread a bit. What you are looking for here is just some little green accents.

Puff on the stogie to keep it going, and perhaps light another.

Roll the windows up tight and puff on both the cigars to keep them lit.

Now let the car sit for a day or two still in direct sunlight.

When you open it up you can remove the cigar butts from the ash trays, but keep the ashes. place the butts in a soup can filled half way with warm water. You will need the ashes to sprinkle over the gum to keep you from sticking to the gum.

Now with a lint free microfiber towel check, the oil level and the transmission level. Now sprinkle the cigar ash over the sticky spots and buff with the towel you used to check the oil.

The cigar smoke will have left a protective layer on your windshield and you can dampen the buffing cloth in the water from the soup can and clear some viewing ports.

Any left over water can be used to kill off snails in the garden.

You have two problems:

- The coffee stain

- The coffee that remains in the seat and fabric.

You need water and extraction, not just a chemical to deal with both. IMO you're going to need to get your seat wet and then extract/vacuum out as much of the coffee as you can bring into solution. Even if a fancy chemical treats the surface stain, you'll still smell spilled coffee every time it rains if you don't get it out.

I would approach it with Oxiclean, a soft bristle brush and my shopvac. A lot of fabrics are quite stain resistant and sometimes these kind of spills can lift right out with just water. I remember when I first got my current car it looked like there was a bit of a coffee dribble below the cup holder area. I hit it with an Oxiclean solution in a trigger sprayer and liquid looking like fresh brewed coffee leaped out of the carpet fibers - no trouble at all. It probably could have been plain warm water.

Anyways, you want enough water to bring the coffee and sugar (maybe) back into solution for extraction but not so much water that you drive the coffee farther into the seat padding. You could try more of a "spritz and dab" approach with a clean towel at first if you like.

I'm no detailing pro, but that's how I'd approach it if I were in your situation.

I used Meguiar's Carpet Cleaner to remove 10 yr old coffee stains and melted lipstick under neath my seats when I removed them to install a new stereo. It [censored] me off seeing how dirty my car was after my bro used it. The cleaner worked great...blot it and rub with a towel until the stain comes out. Took a bit of elbow grease but my light tan colored carpets were a light tan again after using this product.

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
My brother car broke atm, so I take him to work every morning, and he alway have coffee with him, other day I was making a hard turn and his coffee was spill out, I dint pay attention, til today I reach over to clean my car,and found a BIG coffee stain on my cloth seat. !!!!!! wat product I need to use to remove that ? thanks

Was it black coffee, or did it have cream and sugar in it? You are potentially dealing with a compound stain that requires removing several stains. In any case, such a stain really needs be cleaned before it has had a chance to dry.

Here's a little secret on Oxy-Clean

"Cheap" powdered dish washer detergent is the same thing! My wife and SIL figured this out!

Originally Posted By: Roger1960
You are thinking about removing the stain when what you ought to be doing is thinking about the long term.

True.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back