Audi / VW FSI engine GC 0w30 UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased my second Audi A4 with a 2.0T engine - 2008 CPO. Have seen most of the RI_RS4's posts on the FSI engine oil issues. Are there any UOA's of GC in those type engines. I get outstanding results, UOA verified, with GC in the 1.8T engine and before jumping on the RLI 5w40 bandwagon I'd like to see those UOA's.

I'm pretty dang good and using search engines but can't seem get good reliable results with BITOG's search.

Thanks

The Audi RS4 owner's manual does not list 0w-30 as an acceptable viscosity and I am not aware of any RS4 owner who uses GC. All published UOA performed on these engines are on 0w-40 and 5w-40 VW 502 oils.

I'm sure that's the case with the RS4 engine. Since the 2.0T is FSI injected as well as I recall it may suffer from the same issues. Was wondering if anyone had run GC in the 2.0T engine and run a UOA on it in that application.

At any rate I'll do a UOA on the dealer oil used in the last service at 5K oci for a baseline then run a 5K oci with some GC from my GC green stash and get a UOA of that. Then run RLI SD 5/40 for another 5K oci followed by a UOA.

The oil's ability to deal with fuel dilution is proabably number one factor for this engine. The oil's breakdown has been shown in the literature to impact valve deposits also. Of course breakdown in additives could affect cam follower wear as well.

Most of the 502 oils all perform similarly poorly, which makes sense as they are all built down to the same spec. I have been testing valve buildup with M1 0W40 and it showed significant buildup in only 59 city miles! It remains to be seem whether other oils will show better.

I would go with a high quality ester based oil in this engine and only go beyond about 5k if the UOA supports it. The exception is if you are doing mostly highway miles. In this engine most any oil looks good when it is nearly all highway miles, even up to around 10k.

In my 1.8t GC has shown its ability to handle fuel dilution. But as you say it remands to be seen how well GC will handled the valve deposits.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
. . . I have been testing valve buildup with M1 0W40 and it showed significant buildup in only 59 city miles! . . .

How have you been testing or gauging valve deposit buildup?

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
Originally Posted By: saaber1
. . . I have been testing valve buildup with M1 0W40 and it showed significant buildup in only 59 city miles! . . .

How have you been testing or gauging valve deposit buildup?

Was wondering that myself.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
From what I've read/heard, fuel dilution is a bigger issue in 2.0 FSI than it was in 1.8T.

Yeah.... From the link above of UOAs it looks like if you are mostly highway driving FD is about the same or less but city driving is worst. I'll have to see what my UOAs show and go from there on oil performance and selection.

I think you would get less blow-by using a 5w-50. Syntec just reformulated their's with higher zddp, but Pennzoil and Mobil make one as well. No matter what oil you use, suck some Seafoam into the intake before every oil change to clean up the valves.

You should check out the Euro IV compliant VW 504 oils, not 502 - they are low SAPS oil that have lower volatility as well. Lubruzol published a study a few years ago showing 40% lower intake valve deposits in direct injection engines from using a Euro IV low SAPS oil.

Originally Posted By: GordonC
You should check out the Euro IV compliant VW 504 oils, not 502 - they are low SAPS oil that have lower volatility as well. Lubruzol published a study a few years ago showing 40% lower intake valve deposits in direct injection engines from using a Euro IV low SAPS oil.

thanks for the tip. I'll did that.

I've read people on these forums who have said that 504.00 is best in a European car but with North American gas quality we are best off sticking with the 502.00 standard.

Comments....
I must admit to be pretty confused at this point.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Not sure why we're even talking 504/507. It's under warranty = do what the mfg says.

And when the manufacturer says it's OK to use 507.00/504.00?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back