Schaeffer 10W30, 2923mi, 2010 Subaru STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRD

Here is the oil report for my 2010 Subaru STi.

I haven't posted a UOA in a long while, however, I thought I would post this as most STi owners seem to favour using Rotella 5w40. Just for something different...

Driving was mostly short trips, during Jan-Feb here in Las Vegas.
The oil change history has been; initial change came at 1000mi with Formula Shell 10W30, then at 3000ish miles with Schaeffer 7000 10W30, and then this particular sample at around 6000ish miles.

The engine/tune 100% stock.

If any further questions, please ask, otherwise thanks for looking.

Code:

Car: Subaru WRX STi

Total Miles: 9636

Miles on oil: 2923

Time: 4.5 months

Oil: Schaeffer's 7000 (703) 10W30

Filter: OEM

Lab: Oil Analyzers

Aluminum: 2

Chromium: 0

Iron: 5

Copper: 8

Nickel: 1

Lead: 0

Tin: 0

Cadmium: 0

Vanadium: 0

Silicon: 7

Sodium: 6

Potassium: 1

Molybdenum: 292

Antimony: 233

Boron: 10

Manganese: 0

Lithium: 0

Titanium: 0

Calcium: 1769

Magnesium: 10

Phosphorus: 738

Zinc: 817

Barium: 0

cSt Viscosity at 100C: 9.7

Fuel: 1.6%

Water: 0.0%

Soot:
Oxidation: 12

Nitration: 17

TBN 3.17

SubLGT, Yes, silver was measured at zero. I guess the element got by me while I was making the chart.

Regards.

Antimony! Good EP/AW agent. This is an outstanding UOA especially w/ the fuel dilution and low mileage(usually the wear is higher during break-in). You have found your oil, don't change. 5k's easy with this lube.

Pretty unusual to see a turbo Subaru with zero lead, tin, and silver.
thumbsup2.gif

SubLGT, Good to know. I am fairly unfamiliar with Subaru. After nine Honda/Acura cars, and one TOYota, this is my first Subaru. Heck, my first turbo too.

Webfors & chubbs1, yes, hooray for moly and antimony. I'm a sucker. I know most are familiar with moly as an additive, but since blackstone (the most common lab used) doesn't test for antimony, I'm not sure many are as familiar with it. Here is a nice post by Molakule explaining what it is, for those that are interested. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729162

I've been using Schaeffer products going on 10 years now. Though I get enamoured with ester base oils (RLI, VPRacing, RedLine, etc) now and again, I always seem to come back to Schaeffer. Their products have always seemingly done well in both my street and track cars.

I was interested to see how the 7000 II+/PAO SM Energy Conserving formulation would hold up in the turbo. Well, it stayed in grade, and the wear numbers fare pretty well compared to the numerous UOA's I have seen on IWSTI.

We will see how well it holds up during the Vegas summer months...

Sorry for the long winded post
smile.gif

Regards.

I agree with others about this being a good choice for your Subie. I have used Schaeffers #703 10W-30 SM/Gf-4 before in my vehicles and antimony never showed up on UOA's (Dyson). Is this a recent additive to #703?

I'm also impressed with it staying in grade for the Subie, especially with 1.6% fuel dilute. My Tundra and RAV4 with similar fuel% dropped it way down in viscosity.

INDYMAC, you got me thinking... Antinomy and moly have been Schaeffer's claim to fame so to speak over the years. But now that you mention it, I do remember a discussion here on BITOG not too long ago about whether antimony was still an additive.
So I did a google site search with schaeffer and antimony, and wow, it's all over the map. Unfortunately most of the UOA's have been done with Blackstone, which is of no help. However, the labs that do test for it, seem to cover the spectrum of zero to 200ish levels.

For example, here is your sample posted 02/2010, which shows zero antimony, done by Terry (who I have used on numerous occasions over the last 10 years also, and have 100% confidence in) http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1774012

And here is an example of an UOA and VOA of Schaeffer's 5w20 posted 04/2010, both claimed to be analyzed by Polaris Labs, which I believe is the same Oil Analyzers, which shows antimony levels in the 200 range for the UOA, and seven for the VOA; note: for different oil batches by different submitters. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1858487

I also found a couple of reports from Caterpillar analysts that put antimony in the under 50ppm range.

This is very curious. Maybe if Salesrep sees this post, he can or ask Schaeffer's to shed some light on these discrepancies.

Regards.

Dennis, At least until the warranty period expires, we will be following Subaru's 4.5mo/3750mi interval recommendation.
From this report, I have no issue putting 3750mi on this oil. I am just not sure we will hit 3750 miles very often before 4.5 months.

However, I don't think, I'm just guessing here, this oil would be a good choice for the newer 2011 recommendation of using synthetic based oil until 7500 miles.
Of course no way of knowing for sure unless someone tried a few consecutive 7500 mile intervals.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back