Motorcraft FL-910S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again and yesterday at work did a oil change on a Ford Fiesta that had a factory installed FL 910S filter on it. Anyone know if this is a newly added Motorcraft filter or no? On the Fusions with the 4cyl, they have a filter thats made in UK, and both that car and the fiesta use a CHAMP LABS PH 2835. Excuse my ignorance here just wondering, so any and all info would be greatly appreciated. And the Motorcraft FL 910S filter looks to me to be identical to a purolator filter.

adam v

FL910 has been around since 2003-2004. It originally was just called the FL-910, but within the last couple years they added the S when they added a silicone anti-drain back valve. They are used on a lot of Foci and Escapes and Rangers. Also cross over to Mazdas with the 2.0 or 2.5.

What engine/model/year of Fusion/Fiesta are you inquiring about?
Some spec cartridge filters, others canister filters.

Many Ford OEM filters are Champ Labs sourced, aftermarket Motorcraft filters, e.g. FL-910S, are made by Purolator.

The car as stated in original posting is a 2011 Fiesta with 4cyl engine, and ford fusion is the 2011 with 2.5 I think; prob wrong engine. Both use equivalent PH 2835 filter. I repeat; the filter was factory installed filter, not aftermarket filter, and looked to be Purolater, and sure as heck wasnt a darn champ lab garbage filter. i took the ST 7317 off my car this morning and put a GROUP 7 filter 4310 on it. We have had like 5 failures with champ labs ph 2876 and 2867 filters leaking at the seam lately as in last 7 days. Not good, and my company is going to WIX filters from here on out.

adam

Also the factory fit filters from Ford are different than the service replacement filters. They have different markings, and are built different. People on here have cut some open I think, but beyond what the exact differences are I have no idea. The general consensus, and not having by bias working at a Ford dealer, is that the Motorcraft oil filters are very well built and a good buy for what you get.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
the filter was factory installed filter, not aftermarket filter, and looked to be Purolater, and sure as heck wasnt a darn champ lab garbage filter.
You know Champion makes all of the factory-installed filters for Ford, right? And that they also make Mobil 1, K&N and Royal Purple filters?

It sure as heck didnt look like a CHAMPION LAB filter when I cut it open, and I was told by the FORD rep that was in later that day that this isnt/IS NOT the case 100% of the time.

NICE TRY THOUGH I will give you that much

No I did not know this, and honestly it looked like a purolator filter. I will google search this. So who makes the red label AC DELCO filters that I see at my work? They dont look CHAMP LABS. Glad we are using WIX now, and even using CARQUEST filters and NAPA GOLDS

I dont really care either who makes mobil 1 filters or the others that champ labs makes. My brother was going somewhere this morning and his oil light came on. It was his oil filter. Leaking around the seam, so he went to the dealer and got a AC DELCO CLASSIC. PROBLEM SOLVED

NO MORE CHAMP GARBAGE FOR ME AND THATS THE END OF THE STORY

adam

The original FL-910 released when the US Duratecs became available. Originally, it was exactly the same as the FL-400, however it was a little over an inch shorter. This is because the Duratec I4 engines have the oil filter placed straight up and down at the very bottom of the engine bay right behind the radiator. Any longer filter will be exposed to an impact...in fact, when the Duratecs first released, dealers were using the FL-400 filter without knowing any better, and there were incidents with curb strikes taking out the filter.

Anyways, at that time they were made by purolator. Fast forward a few years, and they redesigned the filter with the FL-910S name...it included a silicone anti-drainback valve. This was because the FL-400s had been discontinued, and the 910s was now its replacement...and on some cars, this included an upside down installed orientation. Additionally, the recommended OCI's grew longer, on the focus it went from 5000 to 7500.

Note...during the first few years, these filters were pretty much identical to the standard Purolator filter. Once they moved to the silicone ADBV, they seemed to have also switched to a threaded end bypass design. Originally it was a dome end bypass. However, these filters are still made by Purolater IIRC.

For a little over $4, its a great filter.

I dont really care either who makes mobil 1 filters or the others that champ labs makes.
You don't have to get all irate about it...I was merely pointing out that not ALL Champion filters are "garbage".

Originally Posted By: pzev
This was because the FL-400s had been discontinued, and the 910s was now its replacement...

the Fl400S is NOT disco'd at all. they actually started using it again on some apps that took the 3.5L V6 in the 2009ish range.

RF Overlord, I am NOT IRATE ABOUT THIS OR ANYTHING. I will not use anymore CHAMP LABS products PERIOD. We have had at my work about 25 filters that failed in "real world" situations and only one that CHAMP LABS paid my company for a full rebuild. I REFUSE to buy from now on ANY CHAMP LAB FILTER; I.E. SUPER TECH, MOBIL 1 FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, ETC, ETC, BLAH BLAH FILTERS made by CHAMPION LABS. Sorry you took this personally and the wrong way. Dont bother wasting my time. CHAMP LABS products arent that "GREAT" and sure as haiti aint great either.

HAVE A WONDERFUL NIGHT, and thank you Bd Cardinal for being upfront and honest unlike some people on this board.

We have had at my work about 25 filters that failed in "real world" situations and only one that CHAMP LABS paid my company for a full rebuild. I REFUSE to buy from now on ANY CHAMP LAB FILTER; I.E. SUPER TECH, MOBIL 1 FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, ETC, ETC, BLAH BLAH FILTERS made by CHAMPION LABS.

A few posts ago it was:

We have had like 5 failures with champ labs ph 2876 and 2867 filters leaking at the seam lately as in last 7 days. Not good, and my company is going to WIX filters from here on out.

adam

So just asking - was it 5 or 25 filters failed?

Also wondering - who makes the "AC DELCO CLASSIC" filter? I was thinking it was Champion Labs also!

Last edited:
Ok, I believe it was 25 since before I got there so the total is 25 according to my boss. I have seen 5 personally myself. Everyone happy now that they got their barbs in on me? I looked inside a few ac delco classics from a colorado PH 59 red label classic and ph 48 off of a traverse also red label. I would guess possibly wix or purolator. Anyone here know?

Leaking around the seam, so he went to the dealer and got a AC DELCO CLASSIC. PROBLEM SOLVED

adam

this made me laugh out loud. Champ labs makes ac delco filters... weather its their classic design, or ecore, they're made by champ labs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back