2011 Sonata 2.4L GDI, 5W-20 or 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new Sonata. Manual recommends 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on temps. Any real benefit to a 30wt in this engine over a 20? I live in TN and my only concern is that in the middle of the summer here lately ambient temps have been hovering around 100 degrees. Car sees 90% highway miles and does about 600miles/week.

My planned OCI will be 3750mi per Manual Severe Service Schedule with whatever dino juice is on sale when i go shopping; along with Hyundai OE filter.

You're going to get a few different responses but almost pure highway miles with short intervals, I'd run the lightest oil possible for maximum MPGs. 5w-20 would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: hhu168
Why would you want to follow the severe schedule with 90% highway?

+1

You should be able to follow the normal driving schedule and go at least 7k oci.

Not sure about the 2.4 engine, but the 2.0t likes thicker oil. It runs smoother and MPG does not take a hit. I would try 5w-30 before going thinner.

Originally Posted By: Veilside
Just picked up a new Sonata. Manual recommends 5W-20, 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on temps. Any real benefit to a 30wt in this engine over a 20? I live in TN and my only concern is that in the middle of the summer here lately ambient temps have been hovering around 100 degrees. Car sees 90% highway miles and does about 600miles/week.

My planned OCI will be 3750mi per Manual Severe Service Schedule with whatever dino juice is on sale when i go shopping; along with Hyundai OE filter.

600miles/week for 5 work days is about 100 miles a day mostly highway plus 100 miles on weekend is very easy on oil, I would go with normal OCI schedule with xW20.

I am running 5w-20 in my '11 Sonata and plan to use it on an ongoing basis. I just dumped the factory fill at 5800 miles. I intend to use the least expensive synthetic, (presently NAPA 5w-20)with a change interval of 7500 miles. As you know, the manual calls for 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30. In your warm climate, I would use 5w-30 in the summer. FWIW-Oldtommy

Your new 2011 Sonata is a direct injection engine which some believe is harder on the oil as well as has the potential to run a little dirtier . Until more is known about the GDI engines through UOA's I would split the normal / severe mileage difference and run Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W 20 for 5,000 miles ...it's a very good oil with an excellent add pack for cleaning and wear protection . I would also strongly consider running Motor Craft Syn Blend 5w 20 for a 5,000 mile OCI as it is also an excellent oil and is cost effective - can't go wrong with either one !

10w-30 and change it every 3,000 miles.

There is likely to be lots of fuel dilution on the DI engine and you will need all of the wear protection you can get.

My vote is for 5W20 Synthetic changed based on the owners manual.

We live just a few miles from the Florida state line and see hot summers.

Own/have owned 4 Hyundai vehicles and use nothing but 5W20 Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

There is likely to be lots of fuel dilution on the DI engine and you will need all of the wear protection you can get.

^^THIS^^

thanks for all the replies guys. I agree that with 90% hwy miles I shouldn't fall under severe service but there are other conditions such as high temps that will place the vehicle into severe service per the stealership; and with a 100k powertrain warranty I don't really want to give them any reason to deny a claim if I ever have one.

I would be more than happy to run a 7500mile OCI with PYB, PP or M1. Heck i'm even considering making my own syn blend with PYB and PP.

I'm just not sure how this DI engine will be on the oil. Especially like some of you have said in the area of fuel dilution. But i was also thinking that with mostly HWY driving fuel dilution should be less of an issue...no?

thanks for all the replies guys. I agree that with 90% hwy miles I shouldn't fall under severe service but there are other conditions such as high temps that will place the vehicle into severe service per the stealership; and with a 100k powertrain warranty I don't really want to give them any reason to deny a claim if I ever have one.

I would be more than happy to run a 7500mile OCI with PYB, PP or M1. Heck i'm even considering making my own syn blend with PYB and PP.

I'm just not sure how this DI engine will be on the oil. Especially like some of you have said in the area of fuel dilution. But i was also thinking that with mostly HWY driving fuel dilution should be less of an issue...no?

If DI engines still have fuel dilution or deposit issues while operating at 90% hwy, I would say that engine is a failure. The way you drive, you shouldn't have any deposit issues with regular maintenance changes. Short trip city miles, on the other hand, could be an issue.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

600miles/week for 5 work days is about 100 miles a day mostly highway plus 100 miles on weekend is very easy on oil, I would go with normal OCI schedule with xW20.
I would agree with the longer oil change interval but use whichever viscosity you can get cheaper.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

^^THIS^^

Agree with these guys, except change it every 5K miles. The 10-30 line will give a very stable package
I have been using the PYB/PP homemade syn plend in the 05 Honda. No problems

Originally Posted By: poiuy223

+1

You should be able to follow the normal driving schedule and go at least 7k oci.

Not sure about the 2.4 engine, but the 2.0t likes thicker oil. It runs smoother and MPG does not take a hit. I would try 5w-30 before going thinner.

Thicker is always better ...

In fact the 20 weights are not the best thing for an engine IMO

Originally Posted By: badnews
Thicker is always better ...

In fact the 20 weights are not the best thing for an engine IMO

36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back