Oil Plug Gaskets - Metal or Rubber, preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my pet peeves, why do foreign cars use metal oil plug gaskets? I hate the copper ones, they are hard to replace, so I often leave them on more than once. I even replaced my Nissan metal one with a nylon washer, it works fine.

Most American cars have a captured o-ring on the drain plug, I have never seen this leak, why doesn't everyone use this setup?

Comments? Does anyone prefer the metal ones?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use what the manufacture recommends as OEM. I like copper ones and I don't get upset over minuscule issues.

Do you replace the copper one every oil change? Has your manufacturer changed to the cheaper "crimped thin steel ones"?

Why would you want to change the copper washer at every oil change? Mine is OE, has almost 70k and 5 years on it and there is not a sign of any leaks.

I love mine, one less thing to worry about.
That's why they are hard to remove, as they are meant to be there tight.

I run Cu washers and they work fine. Many oil filter kits come with a replacement. I've never had any sort of challenge or problem changing them.

I do like the integrated rubber gasket approach.

My car was purchased without a drain plug on it and doesn't leak a drop. So I'm not going to put one on. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I think the best designed drain plugs are the ones with the o-ring set in the washer head. It's reuseable, and easily replaced with commonly available o-rings, should the elastomer get damaged or take a set.

The only car I have ever touched that didn't have a metal crush washer was a friend's G5.
A metal crush washer will last about forever.
They seal just fine, there is no elastomeric material to degrade and eventually leak and they are certainly easy to remove if you ever need to.
I prefer a metal crush washer to an elastomeric gasket for a drain plug.

I prefer metal washers. Often I never have to pull one off the drain plug. I just screw it back in.

The rubber ones found on GM and Chrysler cars annony me because they shred easily. Fortunately, where I work, we have aluminum crush washers that fit perfectly. I never had a problem.

I use a crush washer, turn it over and use it a second time, then replace on the third oil change. I buy them online when i buy my OEM filters, so they are pretty cheap.

Funny, my Savanas and Silverados all have a small rubber one.

Even the 2004 we run daily with over 400k miles is just fine.

If they shred "easily" I can't imagine why one of our many has not.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
One of my pet peeves, why do foreign cars use metal oil plug gaskets? I hate the copper ones, they are hard to replace, so I often leave them on more than once. I even replaced my Nissan metal one with a nylon washer, it works fine.

Most American cars have a captured o-ring on the drain plug, I have never seen this leak, why doesn't everyone use this setup?

Comments? Does anyone prefer the metal ones?

Ideally the gasket should be soft, regardless of whether it's metal or not. A hard gasket could easily loosen and fall off because of vibrations. A soft gasket won't loosen. Also, it's better to use a gasket with a nonmetal surface (it could be metal inside though) so that it doesn't scratch the pan or plug. This is the latest kind of OEM gasket Toyota makes now and I use -- soft metal inside and a rubber coating on both outer surfaces.

Also, do not overtighten soft gaskets (metal or nonmetal). If they lose their elasticity because of overtightening, they will loosen and fall off. And never buy hard gaskets (regardless of being metal or plastic).

Hello, Glad you brought this one up. Family member's 1999 Jeep 4.0l has a neoprene centered metal washer which shreads. Friend's 1995 Jeep 4.0l had a huge 2" diameter, 3/16" thick hard plastic washer on the same plug. My Subaru used folded crush washers. My Volvo uses plain aluminum washers which distort quite a bit. Family's Saabs use a copper washer. The kicker is my friend's Mitsubishi 3.5l V6. It uses a tiny folded crush washer on a drain plug which is 3/8" diameter-seems really small to me. None of them leak. I wonder what the benifits of these different styles are? What bothers me is how limited the drain plug gasket selections at the local parts stores are. Kira

I use whatever type came on the car.
The rubber O rings types are great, but need a nice seat - a special factory seat to ensure reliability.

I prefer the O ring types - on/off - no parts - no thought.
Wear out or degrade? That applies to the metal types!

Quote:
If you have a leak problem just put teflon tape on the threads.
Not the best idea. The teflon tape shards sticks on the inside threads, then some gets pushed into the sump.

I've used copper, aluminum, fiber, and nylon drain plug gaskets with success. My Volvo aluminum gaskets never deform, 'cuz I use the correct torque...real important on aluminum sumps.

Copper gaskets can be softened by heating red hot, then quenching in water. Just the opposite of annealing steel, 'cuz of the different crystal structure.

I picked up a couple of bags of Toyota Nylon gaskets from the dealership and only use a new one once the old one is spent.

I bought one bag....and the second was thrown in as a free bee.

You can reuse these over and over as long as they serve their purpose.

My truck transmission pan will not work with a metal (copper, aluminum), or nylon gasket. I have tried. The stock plug with inset rubber o-ring is the only thing that works. On my motorcycles I need metal: The rubber and nylon gaskets don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back