What is the density and molar mass of engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the average density and molar mass of engine oil? I know there are different molecules in a quart/liter of oil, but the oil molecules themselves should have a molar mass and a density.

I am trying to figure out how much powdered MOS2 to add to a quart/liter of engine oil to get a specific part-per-million ratio. I know that MOS2 has a density of 5.06g/cm^3(ml), and a MM of 160.07g/mol. I just need to know the same for the oil.

Thanks

You don't need to know the density of the oil [it is about .88 compared to water=1.0].

You already know how much a given amount of the moly weighs, and how much volume it takes.
So simply use the total qts of oil in your system [volume].

I don't think you're going to find the information you need in any way other than becoming a chemist for the company that makes the oil you want to add this stuff to.

Motor oil is a mixture of many different hydrocarbons and additives. Even if you know the oil is (for example) group 4, there are many different PAOs.

You'd probably be better served making an approximation based on density and volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back