Mobil Super Synthetic vs Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw 5 qt jugs of Mobil Super Synthetic (same type of brand logo as the Mobil Super 5000) for sale at the local store. It carries the same API SN and ILSAC GF-5 specs as the Mobil 1 next to it.

What's the deal on this? I thought Mobil 1 non-EP was a Group III basestock, what did they use for Mobil Super Synthetic?

I think the Mobil Super Syn is strictly group III, while Mobil 1 is group III mixed with group IV. I could be wrong, though.

Just looked at the specs for 10W-30 Mobil Super Synthetic vs. 10W-30 Mobil 1. They are fairly close. They have the same pour point of -39 Celsius but the Super Synthetic has a 252 Celsius flash point vs. 230 for the Mobil 1. You would think the better oil would have a higher flash point. Doesn't seem to make sense.

I will stick to M1 0W-40 in all my vehicles and tractor. I just wish they sold it in gallon or 5 quart bottles like all the other M1 formulations.

Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
From the Mobil.com US website:

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_product-comparison-chart.aspx

Click the Compare to Mobil 1 button for a more detailed comparison.

Well, that was helpful.
smirk2.gif

One has to suspect that Exxon-Mobil is trying to compete with the cheaper synthetics here in the U.S. Hopefully, we will soon have some UOA's and VOA's here on BITOG. This may be a delayed response to Castrol. They are blurring the eyes of decision for the average consumer. It would serve them right if they by accident hit upon a formulation that was better than Mobil 1 at a lower price.

Does anyone read anymore?

Quote:
8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic.

Don't expect your $20 UOA to exemplify these differences either.

I,m confused about the different formulations.

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy
Mobil Super Snythetic

Is it just simply marketing ?

Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
I will stick to M1 0W-40 in all my vehicles and tractor. I just wish they sold it in gallon or 5 quart bottles like all the other M1 formulations.
\

AMEN

Originally Posted By: FMC

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1
Mobil Super Snythetic

They do market, but yes these are differant oils for differant purposes.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: FMC

Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1
Mobil Super Snythetic

They do market, but yes these are differant oils for differant purposes.

Then how would they be used ?

Originally Posted By: buster
Does anyone read anymore?

Quote:
8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic.

Don't expect your $20 UOA to exemplify these differences either.

Reads to me like the typical drivel concocted by marketing and vetted by legal. Nothing of substance, but lots of pretty adjectives and the like. 'Part of our ultimate line... outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic.' I suppose they eventually manage to say something, but what load of hyped up verbiage to build up to the four words that tell the consumer anything at all (albeit, not a whole lot, since even that is vague and with nothing there to quantify the 'outperforms' with, even that doesn't tell the consumer much).

My much shorter translation: as part of our over-bloated line of super duper uber synthetics, we bring you our latest and greatest XOM lube, better than our existing Super strength uber lube.'

Thanks for clearing that up.

-Spyder

when i compared viscosity between the two according to there website mobil 1 5w30 is thicker then the super syn 5w30 i think 10.3 vs 11.2

The 0w20 Super Syn vs the new 0w20 Mobil 1 AFE is even more interesting... higher flash point, viscosity index, etc...

Curious to see a VOA on it considering the current AFE one came back so strange.

Here is Mobil's answer to this question:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?

Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

All that babble and they still didn't answer the question,haha.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

All that babble and they still didn't answer the question,haha.

1) Few outside of BITOG would understand the technical differance.

2) Not many more here at BITOG would either.

3) There ain't no way XM, Shell, Castrol, or Valvo, and the others would reveal the differances in their formulations.

For the record, however, MSS is a grp 3 oil and any M1 badged oil is a blend of 3-4-5 and other goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back