Honda Accord acceleration "whine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
There's nothing wrong with it. Honda ServiceNews said a while back that the whine is normal and some units will whine more than others.

No conflict of interest there.

Originally Posted By: onion
There's nothing wrong with it. Honda ServiceNews said a while back that the whine is normal and some units will whine more than others.

I understand where you are coming from, but my personal experience has found that the "aftermarket" has a tendency to identify things as problems when they may not be.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is there something wrong in fixing things when they break? Why do you want to break them before?

What I am trying to say is that the aftermarket's definition of "broken" is sometimes different than what the OEM considers to be broken. Also, more often than not, whenever the aftermarket has a solution to fix something, it is usually done in a way where it is good enough to leave the service bay, but not for the long-haul.

Originally Posted By: onion

I understand where you are coming from, but my personal experience has found that the "aftermarket" has a tendency to identify things as problems when they may not be.

I'm not sure what the aftermarket has to do with this discussion. My point is that of course Honda is going to say that there's no problem. They're betting that the transmission- despite problems indicated by the whine- will run long enough to get out of warranty and/or for the original owner to trade off the vehicle. This isn't a jab at Honda specifically... it's what OEM's DO.

I'm sure you've read as much about Honda transmissions as I have- probably more. And it's common knowledge among Honda owners that a transmission whine- particularly with certain V6 models- means eminent failure. It's been observed and documented over and over.

That's not to say that this transmission is going to fail tomorrow... but something IS likely failing prematurely. If that was my vehicle, I would raise [censored] with the dealer and make them fix it. Otherwise I'd seriously consider trading off the car.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is there something wrong in fixing things when they break? Why do you want to break them before?

What I am trying to say is that the aftermarket's definition of "broken" is sometimes different than what the OEM considers to be broken. Also, more often than not, whenever the aftermarket has a solution to fix something, it is usually done in a way where it is good enough to leave the service bay, but not for the long-haul.

OEM's often consider 'burning' a quart of oil every 1000 miles as 'normal'.
If I bought a new car and it burned a quart of oil every 1K (after break-in) I'd trade it it (for a different brand) immediately.

As the OP of this thread, I just want to say thanks to everyone for their input. This "whine" sound is something that I would say is coming from the transmission. I am well aware of the trans failures on the V6 models from around 99'- 03 or 04" not sure when they solved the issue.
Anyway, I have heard that the Trans from the 94-97 models is supposedly a decent one.
I've changed the fluid once already. Going to do it again tomorrow as well. If I can find some lubegard red I may add some as well.
As stated, the transmission shifts crisp, and in a timely fashion. It does not slip at all. It just has that annoying "whine" sound.
I came across a thread someplace that said the cure to the sound was found internally on the transmission. It stated that the person removed some kind of transmission cover and had to tighten a bolt or 2 that was found to be relatively loose. Not sure what cover or bolt(s) they were talking about though.
I'm not sure there is even any kind of access cover on this transmission either.

My wife's k24 09 Accord whined from day one on accel. Since I brought it up with the dealership with 150 miles on the odo, I drove 2 other 09 k24s (LX and EX), a 2010, and a 2011. They all sounded exactly the same. So I assume its normal on the K24 5ATs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back