GF's new Motobecane Grand Record PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has been wanting a road bike, so I decided to help her buy one as a birthday present.

We had been considering either a Bikes Direct bike or a Trek 1.1. We decided to go with a Motobecane Grand Record from Bikes Direct for $599 shipped. The Trek would have been $750 after tax. The Motobecane also has significantly better components than the Trek, but you don't get the support you get from a bike shop bike. Also, the Motobecane was made in Taiwan, the Trek in China.

grand_record_blue_xii_2100.jpg

For those who don't know, Bikes Direct sells mostly private-label bikes made just for them. They are controversial on bike forums. Some people love them for their great prices, while others hate them.

The bike was shipped by UPS requiring a signature. UPS got one of our neighbors (a complete stranger we've never met) to sign for the bike because we weren't home.
mad.gif
I was super angry about this and let UPS know through calls/emails. They gave a $600 bike to a random person. I've never had UPS do this before, and consider it very bad service. But, we did get the bike.

The bike was well packaged with plastic covers protecting delicate components like the rear derailleur and front fork.

IMG_4621-1000.jpg

You have to be a DIY'er to get a Bikes Direct bike, unless you want to try and find a shop to assemble it. I've done lots of repairs on our bikes, so it wasn't too much trouble to assemble it.

IMG_4622-1000.jpg

IMG_4625-1000.jpg

IMG_4635-1000.jpg

The bike did take more tuning than I expected. The rear derailleur hadn't been set up at all. I haven't ever really adjusted one before, but I watched some videos on it and read the instructions and now it seems to be working properly.

The build quality on the bike seems good. The welds are all good and the components appear to be high-quality.

My GF hasn't had much chance to ride it yet, but the initial impressions are good.

It looks like standard packaging for a bike sent to a bike shop for construction.

Usually the derailleurs are attached but not set up at all. Make sure you check the hubs as well.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
What company made the wheels and pedals?

The pedals are Wellgo, the wheels are Vuelta.

I would have paid the extra $100 for the 105 level parts.

I'd get a compact double over a triple as well, unless you plan on riding some serious grades i.e., more than 10%.

Oh and I definitely would have gotten the yellow version of the same bike, if nothing else. Boring blue is fine for your car but it's got no place on a bike
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I'd get a compact double over a triple as well, unless you plan on riding some serious grades i.e., more than 10%.

Oh and I definitely would have gotten the yellow version of the same bike, if nothing else. Boring blue is fine for your car but it's got no place on a bike
laugh.gif

I would have traded the $100 for the well-performing Tiagra.

I would have gotten the wider gear range of the triple.

Oh, and I definitely would have picked the less-asinine looking blue.

Oh, wait. We did pick all of those things and we're very happy with the purchase.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Brons2

laugh.gif

I would have traded the $100 for the well-performing Tiagra.

I would have gotten the wider gear range of the triple.

Oh, and I definitely would have picked the less-asinine looking blue.

Oh, wait. We did pick all of those things and we're very happy with the purchase.
cool.gif

I would have probably gone 105 too as my bike has some Tiagra on it and its not that great. But the bike will be fine nonetheless. My Specialized Allez is a great bike although its just a cheap one.

I looks like your girlfriend will get years of good use out of it. As much as I love the most expensive version of everything (who doesn't) Why drop $5,000 when your skill level doesn't warrant it? If she gets better then step up to a better bike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back