Air filter insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Ford wants something like $70.00 for the air filter for the Expedition retail. "Jobber" price is $45.00.

I paid that two years ago when I first did the filter in the Expedition. Filter now had 70,000Km on it, so I figured I should probably change it.

I went to Benson, and it was......$16.00 AFTER TAX for a FRAM EXTRAGUARD air filter. Needless to say I bought the FRAM. Which appears to be better constructed than the "Made in Mexico" Motorcraft filter which I originally put in.

That's insane! The Motorcraft oil filters are great, and well priced at the dealership. Why are they so out to lunch on the air filters?

Wow that is high. I don't know much about air filters. I use one of the 3 brands from AZ/AA.

Ford recently lowered the prices on a lot of their air filters and has them at "family" pricing here in the States. Im assuming your filter is the FA1632 cone type which has an MSRP of US$24.98

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford recently lowered the prices on a lot of their air filters and has them at "family" pricing here in the States. Im assuming your filter is the FA1632 cone type which has an MSRP of US$24.98

How recent is recently? As I said, the last one I bought was two years ago. I try to buy from Ford as often as I can, but the price was so high last time, I didn't even bother to check with them this time.

I have no problem buying oil filters from them. They are one of the least expensive places around, and buying them by the case, the price gets even better!

The Purolator for my Lincoln was about $30.00 US. I was a bit shocked when I bought that.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How recent is recently? As I said, the last one I bought was two years ago. I try to buy from Ford as often as I can, but the price was so high last time, I didn't even bother to check with them this time.

Probably in the past year or so. I dont know what the dealers in the land of Moose and Hockey do though.

The OEM engine air filter for a popular vehicles such as Expedition should be less than $20-25. For low volume vehicles such as Honda S2000 then the list price can be higher, still it is only $30-35 at dealer. Even my MB E430 MANN air filter is only $39 at dealer and about $12-15 at Rockauto and AAP. $70 for an engine air filter is insane. I would expect $70 for Ferrari or Lambo air filter but not Expedition.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The OEM engine air filter for a popular vehicles such as Expedition should be less than $20-25. For low volume vehicles such as Honda S2000 then the list price can be higher, still it is only $30-35 at dealer. Even my MB E430 MANN air filter is only $39 at dealer and about $12-15 at Rockauto and AAP. $70 for an engine air filter is insane. I would expect $70 for Ferrari or Lambo air filter but not Expedition.

My thoughts exactly. Now, I know the parts guy, so I paid jobber (he's given me good prices on anything else I've ever bought there, so I have no reason to doubt his honesty) but that is still $45.00 when I bought it, which was WAY too high. I could buy FOUR of the FRAM ones for that!

Why are you people buying this kind of stuff from a dealership? Air filter has got to be the easiest thing to change and you can buy it probably at walmart or any auto store.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Why are you people buying this kind of stuff from a dealership? Air filter has got to be the easiest thing to change and you can buy it probably at walmart or any auto store.

The dealer is the only place around that sells Motorcraft filters in Canada. So when I want Motorcraft oil filters.... I go to the dealer. They are relatively inexpensive and definitely no more so than a WIX or FRAM.

That being said, I have a good relationship with my local dealer and their parts department. Their head diesel mechanic is the husband of one of my customers, and if I ever have to get anything done there, I have him do it.

But it would appear as though SOME parts, in this case air filters, are insanely over priced compared to what you'd pay at NAPA, Benson, Canadian Tire....etc. So this time I gave my business to Benson. The same place I buy all my MOOG stuff from.

I shop at the dealer for parts I feel I should be buying there. That means coils and spark plugs, oil filters, manifold studs.... And I even buy tires there because nobody else could touch their prices. They are not out to lunch on everything! If they were, I wouldn't be shopping there.

It's been a long time since I've bought a Motorcraft air filter for my own vehicle, but I'm pretty sure that last time I bought a Motorcraft air filter it was around $20 for a 2005 Freestyle.

The Motorcraft air filter for the Freestyle is really nice for a paper filter too, it comes in a sealed plastic wrapper with a light oil coating already applied to the outer gasket.

I'm thinking about giving the Amsoil Ea air filters a shot.

Yikes. I just bought a Motorcraft Air Filter for my focus from Amazon for $25 including shipping. I think when we bought the PureONE for the expedition before our trip to florida it was like, $40 or something.

Hey be glad your Ford has a serviceable air filter. There are some Foci and Fusions where the air filter is only available in a housing which is beaucoup $$.

Hey be glad your Ford has a serviceable air filter. There are some Foci and Fusions where the air filter is only available in a housing which is beaucoup $$.

I know lol. Lucky to live in NYS where the PZEV version is mandatory- the PZEV get's a replaceable panel filter. Non-PZEV has the "lifetime" filter iirc.

The FRAM "Platinum" for my dad's Town Car was $10.00! LOL!, that was at Canadian Tire. We got a Platinum for their Expedition as well.

They hauled another U-Haul down on Thursday with the Expie from NB, so it is maintenance time again! Some more PC 0w30, Motorcraft oil filters and all that jaz
wink.gif

I just paid $5.72 for four air filters for the Torino. Two Frams and Two Motorcrafts. Shipped. Amazon.com can't be beat when they're closing things out.

I love getting these at Amazon! So true about ridiculous prices.

Overkill, my dealer wanted over 100 bucks to replace the cabin air filter in my car! Bought one over the counter for less than 20 bucks with activated charcoal insert and all.

I am surprised you don't have a dealer like Moparsupercenter.com that does biz on the Net. I get any Mopar part dirt cheap direct from a Chrysler dealer.

Last edited:
I had the focus with the lifetime air filter..
its a 3 stage massive filter with a vacuum indicator on the side.

for anyone who doesnt live on dirt roads it is probably lifetime.

If the replacement wasnt outrageous buying one at 100k wouldnt be bad.

in other news the air intake pipe with screen that went to the driver side wheel well made a clearly audible noise with the windows down you could hear it sucking air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back