Tractor hydraulic fluid opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I operate a JD 755 which is a small tractor with a hydrostatic trans. It specs Low viscosity hy-gard fluid. The manual also states that ATF can be used if it meets M2C33F (Type-F). The low-vis fluid is always hard for me to find. Do any of you guys think that the ATF might be a better choice? Any ideas why type-f? I have used the regular Hy-gard but I got a lot of whine from the hyd pump. These are all the specs I can find on the JD fluid. Thanks Chemical and physical properties: Hy-Gard

Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard

Viscosity

40 degrees C

100 degrees C

Pour Point

Flash point (min.)

Total base no.

Viscosity index

In a completely different application(marine power steering) I faced the same question as you and at one time I made the switch to atf. I am now back to using low vis. I'm sure the atf in your app will work fine, but hygard/hygard low vis is a very good fluid, I use it in every hydralic system we have.

It didn't have the cold-flow that the lowvis has, it was harder to steer with the atf until warmed up, which was the reason for the switch to atf in the first place. I tried mobil 1, and qiute honestly I was somewhat dissapointed.

The hygard lowvis is hands down the best hydralic fluid I have ever used. It also works well in automotive powersteering systems, my dad has had several dodges, and all of the powersteering pumps have leaked at one time or another.
Our JD rep suggested using lowvis, the leaks stopped in all of the pumps. Hygard/lowvis seal swelling capabilities must be much better than atf, and from my own experience cold flow is superior

The type-f fluids I have looked at are very similar in viscosity to the low vis fluid. I would think they would perform similarly. Maybe a better add pack as well?

If your tractor has wet brakes, I would hesitate to use the Type F. I don't know all the details, but a local farmer tried that and ended up with brakes that chattered and screeched.

All the companies that make THF make a low-vis oil, even the Tractor Supply Traveller and Mystic. Whether they keep them on the shelf, I don't know.

I did some THF research a few years back that included VOA of some oils and my take is that the Hy-Gard is a top quality fluid, especially when compared to some of the lower cost alternatives. Since you don't have to change it often, it might be worth a little extra trouble to get just because you KNOW it works. The Hy-Gard has a pretty high Viscosity Index, so it might be a semi-syn.

I don't think you'll get a better add pack in Type F. They don't have any FMs at all. If I was going Type F, I'd go with a synthetic based product, which would give you excellent cold temp flow.

I guess you can try the type F and let us know. Would be cheap to swap it out if you had to.

Quote:
The low-vis fluid is always hard for me to find.

Have you tried your local John Deere dealer? Even if they don't have it in stock, they should be more than happy to order you a 5 gallon pail...which should be enough to do a full fluid change in your tractor.

The bottom line is you want something that meets the J20D spec.

If the Deere fluid is not available for some reason, Shell Donax TD Low Viscosity should be available from your local jobber. I believe Citgo still makes Lo-Temp Transgard and Texas Refinery's Low-temp Universal Torque Fluid will also do a fine job.

AMSOIL makes a 5w30 Univeral Tractor fluid that they recommend for J20D service...but the viscosity @ 100C is around 10.1 cst.

There may be other readily available fluids that I'm not famiar with, here is some good reading: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=881590

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I heard somewhere that advice is when your looking for someone to tell you something other than what you already know? I'll probably try to round up some of the deere fluid. Sometimes there just isn't a shortcut.

Yeah, I know they would be happy to get it for me. Its just inconvenient to make two trips and the local kubota dealer is also the local deere dealer. I might see if they stock the super UDT though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back