Would You Use No Name Brand Generic Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite literally No Name brand oil!

noname.jpg

photo-1.jpg

BAHAHAHAHA....maybe?

Was there any sort of API label on the back of it? Believe it or not, there are some out there that dont...

...and when I say maybe, I mean I wouldn't pay more than a dollar for it, and even then it would go into topping off the toyota.

I used to use Meijer branded oil back in the day. Back when it was less than a buck a quart.
Never had an issue.

Would I use it today?

Yes, if I was a candidate for 3-5k oil changes, which I'm not. I rock the 10k PP train these days on the CR-V with my driving habits of 10k every 2-2.5 months, all highway.

as a general rule NO....

but if I came here and saw a good VOA and some good UOA's
I'd consider it.......for the lawn mower!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Lawnmower yes.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
for the lawn mower!

A air cooled lawn mower in the dead of summer runs hotter than most any water cooled car engine, you should use the best oil possible...

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I used to use Meijer branded oil back in the day. Back when it was less than a buck a quart.
Never had an issue.

Would I use it today?

Yes, if I was a candidate for 3-5k oil changes, which I'm not. I rock the 10k PP train these days on the CR-V with my driving habits of 10k every 2-2.5 months, all highway.

At one point Meijer used to strongly hint (with an actual display in their store) that their oil was Shell fire and Ice....

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Lawnmower yes.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
for the lawn mower!

A air cooled lawn mower in the dead of summer runs hotter than most any water cooled car engine, you should use the best oil possible...

While I understand your point, I'd have to agree with the above since a lawnmower is MUCH cheaper to repair/replace...

"sans nom" is trademarked in Canada by Loblaw, alarge group of stores.

The label doesn't look like a typical sans nom label though.

What would happen if I did use "no name™" oil?

Probably nothing bad.

But would I have peace of mind using it? [heck] no!

If it did coagulate into the consistancy of road tar and destroy my engine, would I have any recourse against no name™? probably not.

If I did, I would be singing lyrics to a classic song:

You see I've been through the desert using oil with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la ... la....,la,la,la,la,la.......

America

I wouldn't. This reminds me of the other day I was in stop and shop and saw their own labeled 5w-30 and was tempted to post on here and see if anyone knew who made it as I assume it was something else just bottled for stop and shop. Not a no-name but also not an automotive name at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back