BF Goodrich A/T vs. Firestone Destination A/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kid brother has gotten over 90K out of each set of his Firestones (OE on his '99 Silverado) and liked them so much, he is on his 3rd set (truck has 220K...)

The BFG AT KOs on my 4 Runner have been great, on and off road.

I would lean towards the BFGs for trail/dirt performance, and the ATs for road performance, but they're both good tires.

Been there, done that with BFG's....you couldn't give me another set, too pricey for what you can easily get in comparison with other tires.

Had them installed on my dodge diesel 4x4, truck couldn't pull itself out of anything slippery....pretty embarassing actually when my neighbor noticed I was using my 4x2 rodeo (with Bridgestone Revo tires on it at the time) to tow my 4x4 truck out of my front yard one morning!

2 days later, those BFG A/T's came off that truck, won't ever use them again....it wasn't just that though, truck didn't have any grip in the rain, tires wouldn't stay balanced, looked great, but hated every minute of owning them.

Currently right now, I'm running bridgestone revo's on that diesel now, they are nearly shot though; I'm running yokohama ATS on my Tacoma and Goodyear Duratrac's on my rodeo.

I've used just about every a/t tire on the market between my 3 trucks; at this point in time, when the diesel and the tacoma's tires wear out, they will all be running Goodyear Duratrac's.

Best tire I've ever had bar-none; they look very aggressive and look like they wouldn't have road manners, but they are a very smooth riding highway tire, have actually improved my mpg, and are fantastic in all types of terrain, ice, mud, etc thus far.

RoyalGorge5-2010049.jpg

RoyalGorge5-2010052.jpg

I've been really happy with my BFG A/T's. Great in snow, and tread ware is unbelievable! I have 57,xxx on a set 245/75/16 and don't think they will ever wear out. I doubt I'd replace them, my truck won't be worth it by the time they wear out. They are, however, annoyingly loud on the highway and wet traction is occasionally questionable. Maybe I like them so much because they replaced a set of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's, which is the absolute worst tire I have ever owned!

i have owned both of these tires and in my opinion the bfg's are head and shoulders above the destinations, i consider the destinations more of a highway tire end of a/t tires then the off road end.

Originally Posted By: PW01
Maybe I like them so much because they replaced a set of Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's, which is the absolute worst tire I have ever owned!

I had the Wrangler RT/S years ago too; they are the worst tires ever made.

The new Goodyear Duratracs are nothing like the tires of goodyear's past; these tires are awesome.

I don't rightly consider the Firestone A/T's to actually be an A/T tire at the same length other A/T's are, they're great in the rain, just ok in the snow and ok on gravel until they start to wear out.

If one is interested in BFG's, I would look at General Grabber's A/T first....it's [censored] near the same identical tread pattern, much cheaper and is getting better reviews.

Currently running 2 sets of the Destination ATs. One set on a Jeep Liberty, and the other set on a GMC Sierra. Two winters and one summer on the Liberty set, and one winter on the Sierra set.

I don't use either vehicle off-road much, so I can't be objective on their off-road performance. On the road, the Destination ATs are very good in the rain, especially deeper puddles (fairly typical for open tread all-terrain tires). These tires also handle well (for an all-terrain tire) on dry pavement.

On the minus side, compared to an all season tire they are noisy, and have a harsher ride. I've also noticed a drop in fuel economy on both vehicles with these tires (as compared to the all season tires they replaced). Lastly, although the Destination ATs are fairly good in deep snow, they seemed no better in packed snow or on icy roads than a typical all season tire. That was rather disappointing since winter driving was the main reason I chose the Destination Ats.

Treadwear seems about average, meaning I'll probably get about 75% of the “rated” tread life before replacing the tires. Although I suppose they might represent a good value for some applications (due primarily to their low cost), I probably won't buy them again since in my experience they have few advantages and several disadvantages as compared to a typical all season tire. YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back