Marin vs Giant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at getting into biking once again. Between the two shops I've visited, it's down to a Marin or a Giant - both hybrids. I don't remember models or numbers, but the price is comparable.

Once I have the money rounded up, I'll get more serious and test them out for fit and comfort, but in the mean time I'm looking for opinions and personal experiences with either brand. Durable? Good? Bad? Ugly???

the name on the frame doesn't really matter. if it rides well and fits your needs, get what you want.

We have a couple Marin's in our family, they are fine. But really you have to look at all the components on each to compare the bikes.
I guess for hybrid duty maybe it hardly matters?, as long as the wheels are round and the bearings have grease, it can perform its function.
Things that may seperate the two are brake and shifter feel, seat quality, tires.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
the name on the frame doesn't really matter. if it rides well and fits your needs, get what you want.

Even coming from an enthusiast, this is mostly true, except for higher end bikes.

Giant is probably my favorite brand overall. Have had a few and loved them.

As others have said, both are very good brands. For me, it would have to come down to price vs components.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: mpvue
Even coming from an enthusiast, this is mostly true, except for higher end bikes.

Giant is probably my favorite brand overall. Have had a few and loved them.

What more is there to say?
01.gif

Yeah, except for the very very high end, there is almost no product where brand name matters less than on a mountain bike. Good cahance that the two bikes your looking at have the frames assembled by the same overseas (Taiqan or China) compnay, maybe same factory.

So I take it that there are inherent faults with either? Parts availability about the same?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
So I take it that there are inherent faults with either? Parts availability about the same?

parts are never a problem on modern bikes; everything has been standardized.

Cool, thanks for your input everyone! I look forward to getting back out and riding. I also plan on riding to work - an 8 mile ride but with 2 monster hills... Ugh.

BTW, my previous post was supposed to read "no inherent faults"...

Good for you, after a few weeks the hills won't seem so monsterous. I wish I lived within biking range to work, its a good way to stay in shape and save some money.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Good for you, after a few weeks the hills won't seem so monsterous. I wish I lived within biking range to work, its a good way to stay in shape and save some money.

I used to ride to work, I miss it dearly.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Boy, I don't know... Even as a kid those hills kicked my butt.

I remember either last year, or the year before, RAGBRI (An anual cross state ride) came through my town and their route took them on one of the two hills that I'll be riding... Many people were complaining about it. It's a sneaky hill - it doesn't look ominous, but it's almost a mile long that starts as a slow winding grade then ramps it up at the end.

If I remember, I'll snap a pic of the other two hills. (I should have said that I'll have 2 going to work and 1 coming back)

Well, I did it... I pulled the trigger on a Marin Larkspur. It was between a Giant FX2 and the Marin. The Giant was at a chain store and the Marin was at a local shop. I opted for the Marin in spite of the fact that I liked the look of the Giant because of the personalized service and the fact that it wasn't a chain store. I REALLY like local stores and try to support them if possible. The salesmen was extremely knowledgeable and quite willing to let me putt around. Even after I told him that I was looking at the competition, he told me to get whatever fit and made me happy. He even looked up the Giant and told me that it was basically on par with the Marin. That alone impressed me. In the end, I spent about 80.00 more than if I went with the Giant, but it's a small price to pay to support a decent business.

I've already rode most of the way to work and figure it will take 35 minutes or so. Man, I gotta get used to the seat...

Here's a pic of one of the 3 hills that stand in my way going to and from work... And no, the picture doesn't so it justice. I down shifted all the way and still was huffing and puffing. Pics of the bike are coming....

IMG_20110424_152416.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back