How Long for Full Lubrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigBird57
There has to be something to having a diesel at the proper operating temperature. I have an Edge Juice with attitude on my 2005 Duramax diesel and it will not allow any extra fuel or timing changes until engines temps. are above 174 F. I use the Amsoil bypass filtration and their Series 3000 5w30 diesel oil.
I have logged over 40k miles with no oil change. I sevice filters and top off as needed. The UOA has been clean every time.

How has the TBN been trending over the 40k miles?

Originally Posted By: steve20
""Also the antiwear additives such as ZDDP are not fully active until the oil/engine friction surfaces has warmed some.""

You have a very creative mind Leo

He also happens to be correct.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Charlie - Those times are fairly typical in my own experience. It should also be noted that the M11 engine (its forerunner was the infamous L10) is a "case history" engine - one perhaps where the case should not be opened......

Wow!. That's going a long way back in time; to the '80's. What were your bad experiences with the L10?

Hi,
A_Harman - There was a whole platform of problems with the L10. I was involved with Cummins here in OZ with the engines introduction - it was a disaster!!!

It was not helped by the quality of HD lubricants via the API not keeping pace with US engine designs and technologies

Sadly it was really a case of Cummins introducing an engine without sufficient field testing being done. They have a history of doing this (Big Cam 1, 2 etc as examples)

The latest over the last decade or so was the Signature range of large capacity engines

Originally Posted By: Tanya
Is it best if you do a lot of short trips each, that is, starting the engine many times in a day that a 5W -40 oil rather than a cheaper 15W - 40 oil should be used? My reasoning is that from the pie chart shown earlier in this thread that 5W -40 oil will be pumped to the farthest parts of the engine quicker than 15W - 40 oil.

NO. It is never a good idea to do short trips with any engine. The engine has to be fully warmed up to evaporate any condensation that develops in the oil pan due to warming up, then cooling down and warming up again. It is best, as I do to just leave it running if you do a lot of short trips every day.

The best way to have an engine last a long time is to do long distance highway driving. One of the reasons is the condensation due to the temperature changes and fuel which slips past the rings during the combustion cycle is "evaporated" once the engine and oil are up to operating temperature for a given amount of time which could be about 15 to 20 minutes. Modern engines don't have as much of a problem with the fuel but the heat and cooling cycles are still there.

Duty cycle has everything to do with how long anything lasts. Whether it be a home stereo or an automobile engine. Once the equipment is up to operating temperature it lasts longer if left there. Engines are the same. That's why you will never see a cop turn off his engine.

If you do a LOT of short trip operation because you live a short distance from work you should take the long way to work once a week or go out on the weekends sightseeing to get all the condensation out of the oil.

It's also a good idea to keep your gas tank over half full for the same reason if you live where it gets warm during the day and cold at night. Condensation. You don't want water in your gas.

As for oil? Use what your manufacturer recommends for the temperature where you live. Synthetic if you can afford it and dino if you can't.

I'm not one of the experts here. However, I know the basics. I'm surprised that no one answered your question. I may have missed it though.

As for me? If I'm just stopping at a store for a few minutes I don't turn off my car. I leave it running until I get to my destination. I also let it warm up before I drive off. The temperature outside dictates how long. For my relic 20 minutes isn't out of the ordinary when it's -10 or less.

For modern cars I would suggest 5 minutes in 70 degree weather. For temps down around 0 give or take 10 degrees I would let it warm up until the coolant temp is at normal or AT LEAST 5 minutes if gauges aren't available.

I hope others chime in with advice for you, Tonya. Sometimes when a question is asked that is pretty basic it goes unanswered but there is nothing wrong with asking question's. Right? How else will you learn.

This is not entirely true. Obviously doing all highway driving is best, but that's not realistic. Many times people have to do short trips.

And once the engine is warmed up, turning it off and back on isn't bad. In Europe, many cars are being built with start/stop systems where the engine automatically shuts off at stops, then restarts once the brake is released.

Your police car example is duly noted, but I have a counter example. UPS drivers always shut of their engines when they have to get out of the truck to deliver a package. Summer or winter.

Further, letting a car idle to warm up isn't a good idea. It doesn't really ever get the oil up to operating temperature, and increases fuel dilution. It's best to put a load on the engine. Just go easy until it's warmed up.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
This is not entirely true. Obviously doing all highway driving is best, but that's not realistic. Many times people have to do short trips.

And once the engine is warmed up, turning it off and back on isn't bad. In Europe, many cars are being built with start/stop systems where the engine automatically shuts off at stops, then restarts once the brake is released.

Your police car example is duly noted, but I have a counter example. UPS drivers always shut of their engines when they have to get out of the truck to deliver a package. Summer or winter.

Further, letting a car idle to warm up isn't a good idea. It doesn't really ever get the oil up to operating temperature, and increases fuel dilution. It's best to put a load on the engine. Just go easy until it's warmed up.

I understand that most people don't have any choice but to drive short distances. I was just making the point that longer drives are better. I have actually taken the long way to work in the past if I lived too close.

Excessive idling may not be good in some cases but if you live in a very cold climate as I do I can't see turning the car off for 5 minutes at a store. It's just more wear and tear on the starter and other parts. But that's just my opinion.

As far as the UPS drivers are concerned. Where I live I've never seen one of them turn off the truck. I would think with as many stops as they do in a day starters wouldn't last as long as they do and I'd doubt they would get as many trouble free miles out of their trucks as they do if they just leave them running. New York may have a law that forces them to shut off the trucks or it could be that UPS has a policy depending on what part of the country they are operating in.

I think the main reason they tell everyone not to idle isn't really because of what it does to the engine. It's because of the "green movement" they are pushing.

Germany (Europe)is way ahead on that issue which is probably why Mercedes and many others put that in their owners manuals. Ferrari and others are even putting the C02 output of their cars on their spec sheets. It's pretty ridiculous.

If I had to by a car that would start up and shut off on it's own. I'd disconnect that system. It's just one more electronic gizmo that could potentially cause a safety issue. There are already too many "automated" systems on the cars these days and they cause a myraid of problems if and when they go on the blink.

Originally Posted By: JBT
I'm just curious. On average, how long will it take oil to fully lubricate an engine?
To lubricate the internals, seconds. To come up to full operating temp, minutes.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
Originally Posted By: NateDN10

I understand that most people don't have any choice but to drive short distances. I was just making the point that longer drives are better. I have actually taken the long way to work in the past if I lived too close.

Excessive idling may not be good in some cases but if you live in a very cold climate as I do I can't see turning the car off for 5 minutes at a store. It's just more wear and tear on the starter and other parts. But that's just my opinion.

As far as the UPS drivers are concerned. Where I live I've never seen one of them turn off the truck. I would think with as many stops as they do in a day starters wouldn't last as long as they do and I'd doubt they would get as many trouble free miles out of their trucks as they do if they just leave them running. New York may have a law that forces them to shut off the trucks or it could be that UPS has a policy depending on what part of the country they are operating in.

I think the main reason they tell everyone not to idle isn't really because of what it does to the engine. It's because of the "green movement" they are pushing.

Germany (Europe)is way ahead on that issue which is probably why Mercedes and many others put that in their owners manuals. Ferrari and others are even putting the C02 output of their cars on their spec sheets. It's pretty ridiculous.

If I had to by a car that would start up and shut off on it's own. I'd disconnect that system. It's just one more electronic gizmo that could potentially cause a safety issue. There are already too many "automated" systems on the cars these days and they cause a myraid of problems if and when they go on the blink.

Ups trucks by us always turn off.

As I recall,'a startup takes as much fuel as 10-30 seconds of idling.

My 1982 diesel gave emissions content rates on a sticker on the window. It's not that ridiculous. IMO tonnage is a smarter way to define both economy and pollution. It is ridiculous that in this country, a 50 MPG diesel is a gross polluter while a 12 mpg expedition is a partial ZERO emissions vehicle...

Emmisions content ratings are one thing. That makes sense but C02 output is ridiculous. It's plant food, not a pollutant. The oceans put out more C02 than anything else. Volcanoes, even more than the oceans. Automobiles aren't a concern when it comes to C02.

Many of the new gasoline engines burn so clean you could almost suck on the exhaust pipe while they are running and not get sick. They put out almost nothing.

That's the reason you don't hear about people committing suicide in the garage with the car running anymore. It's almost impossible to do that with today's engines.

The majority of "pollution" doesn't come from automobiles. They are a non-issue and as far as C02 emissions are concerned? C02 is harmless. My point was that C02 output is ridiculous.

Diesels they are still working on. An Expedition may very well be "cleaner" than a diesel. Since ethanol lowers fuel mileage it may very well have something to do with the amount of pollutants a gasoline engine emits since it has to work harder and longer to do the same work as straight gasoline. Never the less, these modern gasoline engines are VERY clean burning.

Since this subject was brought up I have been paying more attention to UPS trucks and it seems that they ARE shutting them off.

I haven't seen a whole lot of them (just two) but those two were shut off while delivering. They must have a new policy.

I'd love to be the company that is selling them their starters.

I would say that out of the 7000 miles I typically run my Mobil 1, less than 100 miles of that is urban driving. My motor is seeing a very easy life, 4000 miles on the current fill of 0w-40 and its still honey colored.

I work in the city, live out in the sticks, very rarely do I drive around town, I hate the traffic, just want to get the h** out of there every day, lol.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
Since this subject was brought up I have been paying more attention to UPS trucks and it seems that they ARE shutting them off.

I haven't seen a whole lot of them (just two) but those two were shut off while delivering. They must have a new policy.

I'd love to be the company that is selling them their starters.
UPS demands the drivers turn the engines off on a stop. If not, they will get discipline. As for the starters, I'm sure they use a very heavy duty starter....UPS is very tight with their money so they aren't going to buy junk.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Just think of how long it takes the system to re-prime and oil to reach the furthest parts of the engine after an oil and filter change. This is one reason I don't change oil too often.

It would be no different then starting it in the morning, on your way to work.

Assuming most of the engine galleys are still primed with oil with a good 1/2+ quart remaining in the engine after the oil is drained, i'd say its safe to say the engine is lubricated enough until fresh oil starts flowing (my oil pressure light goes off within a second or 2 during first start after an OC.)

Engine designers wouldn't make an engine that sustains wear during oil changes (which you are doing to prolong engine life)
33.gif

Could this be why oil filters are smaller now than yesteryear, to build oil pressure faster???? A better trade off than the increased media area????

Originally Posted By: carroll7645
Could this be why oil filters are smaller now than yesteryear, to build oil pressure faster???? A better trade off than the increased media area????
Hmmm.

They're smaller because of space constraints. Ever notice how some filters are in hard to get to places?

The oil is supposed to remain in the filter when the engine is shut off, thus it would make no difference if the filter held 1/2pint or a gallon...

Those worried about "running dry" after a oil & filter change have a valid point, the engine is running without pressure till the filter fills... My solution to this is at least partially fill the new filter before installation(not recommended for cartridge type filters)... I included the disclaimer as no doubt someone would try it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back