2011 Accord, oil & filter choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
Again folks, if you go to www.m-w.com and plug in *requirement* and then *recommendation*, you'll see my point
smile.gif

Anyway, people always talk about voiding their warranty with oil weights etc and it's just gibberish (they can't ever void your warranty....case by case claim denial, yes). Someone PLEASE find me a definitive case of this happening. The MMA requires that a manufacturer would have to prove that 5w20 or 5w30 caused the failure in an engine that "RECOMMENDS" 0w20. They will not be able to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt.

EDIT:
Also the k24s in the 2011 cars have not changed from a physical standpoint (ie oil galley diameters, bearing clearings, ring clearances etc etc) further emphasizing that the "recommendation" of 0w20 over 5w20 or 5w30 is because the friction reducing technologies ALLOW it, not NEED it.

Manufacturers can say to use a specific weight of oil with out supplying it. They can not however say you must use a specific brand, without supplying free of charge. The Magnuson Moss only covers brands, not specific lubrication requirements. There are some variances state by state. In Wisconsin, I can not knowingly disregard manufacturer specifications/schedules and requirements. Basically, if I run the wrong grade and my engine blows up, Honda can deny my claim. Granted, I seriously doubt running 5w-20 will ever do any harm when 0w-20 is specified. And since I am a fan of 0w-xx oils anyway, why not follow the recommendation.

The reason I know this is my friend blew up his engine (well actually spun a few bearings) with only 5000 miles on it. He had heard that "thicker is better", and decided to run 20w-50. That was fine until it got cold, and the engine started knocking. Mitsubishi had an oil analysis done and said the wrong grade was being used for the conditions. My friend had to pay for a new engine. While this is an extreme case, car companies are watching more closely that their recommendations are being followed.

Since this is my first new car, and the fact that I bought it was to not have to pay for car repair for a few years, I am going to follow the recommendations in the owners manual.

What oil is "requested" (I'm avoiding those other two "R" words) for 2011 Hondas, Accords/CRVs, etc. in other markets...Australia, Europe, South America???

If there are truly mfg. "changes" done to the k24 that void the use of 5W-30 and such...ALL markets would be using 0W-20 oils, right?

Unless I'm reading my Owner's Manual wrong, the Honda MM is optimistic. When it says 100%, it can be 100-91%. When it says 15%, it's 15-11%. It's truly 15% right after it drops from 20%, but with time it drops closer to 10%.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
Originally Posted By: wolfc70
My hope is that by fall there will be more Hondas on the road that require 0w-20, so more places will start to stock it.
Again, it is not a 'requirement'
smile.gif

Actually, for 2011 Honda vehicles it is. Honda says only 0w-20 is to be used.

Here's was it says in my 2011 Accord's owner's manual:

Recommended Engine Oil
Oil is a major contributor to your
engine’s performance and longevity.
Always use a premium-grade 0W-20
detergent oil displaying the API
Certification Seal. This seal indicates
the oil is energy conserving, and that
it meets the American Petroleum
Institute’s latest requirements.

Last edited:
My NGK Iridiums are cooked at 12,500.

Cylinder #3 was all oily and carboned up like the rest of the V-6'engines with VCM meaning seals that are too soft and tolerances too big like the rest of them.

Conventional actually went down 4-5 qts over 6,000 miles and GRP. III was not much better.

Tried RP 5W-20 and oil use is down 2/3 BUT it's an SL oil.

I have some 5W-30 Redline ILSAC GF-5 SN polyolester that's going in after I change out the plugs.

In Eurpoe Honda used 5W-30 PP.

The Honda VCM's in Euopre are not problematic to what we are seeing here in the US where 20 wt oil is used.

It might appear in 2011 there is clear rational due to design to stick with a 0W-20.

At the end of the day and having owned 6 Hondas and an Acura...thank goodness none ever needed service as Honda simply makes you think you are crazy if you report these issues and tells you that 4-5 qts of oil usage with carboning up and destruction of plugs at 12,500 is normal.

Horrible company to deal with. The dealership is following the marching orders of the management at headquarters because they say the same thing.

Wait until a jury decision forces a massive recall and we all get new engines!
wink.gif

I've only got about 3500 miles on my Accord. So far I've used very little oil (like about a tenth of a quart per the dipstick).

My wife's 09 Pilot has the 3-4-6 VCM engine. It's been fed a steady diet of whatever is on sale in the 5W-20 flavor. Never burns a drop of oil between OCIs and runs great. She has almost 37,000 miles on it.

Maybe there are some good ones out there???

Last edited:
Castrol Edge is too much money, I won't pay it. I liked Mobil 1 for highway gas mileage and quiet engine, but it's one of the thinner oils in my grade 5W30 and it burned very fast in my 1998 Honda 4 cylinder. I like NAPA Gold filters and that's what I've been using. Avoid the cheap Fram filters. What is so bad about the factory fill that you want to dump it early?

Originally Posted By: dan3952
What is so bad about the factory fill that you want to dump it early?

Nothing, I am not dumping it that early, probably around 40-50% on the OLM.

I am also leaving for a 3-4000 mile trip in the beginning of June, and at the current rate, the OLM will be around 40%. I would rather not stop on my trip and have an oil change done.

Our 2011 Accord V6 VCM has 500 miles on it and the oil level remains exactly on the full line where it was the day we brought it home. It has darkened ever so slightly. So far, so good. Maybe that ring change mentioned above made a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back