1999 4runner vibration in rear end !

Status
Not open for further replies.
having alot of vibration in the rear end starting at about 60mph and up. had it in the shop and the mech looked it over and said he could see nothing. driveshaft balanced, new u joints,new tires, alignment, road force balanced, nothing helped out. any idea what could be causing this ?

I would change the shocks first but if that doesn't cure the problem try rotating the tires front to back. Problem could be a wheel or tire that is out of round.

Last edited:
tried that jim, vibration still there, think i will have a brake shop look at the rear brakes. i have a feeling the rear brakes are causing this vibration, maybe the rear drum is warped

New shocks/struts may mask this.
But shocks do not produce vibration, they ALLOW it.
Do you have used blocky/knobby tires? They can wear funny and internal damage is always a possibility.
You can jack it up, spin the tire, and check for out of round or wobble. A WD40 can with it's nozzle makes a good stationary pointer.

We had a Mitsu Montero in a while back for a vibration. After covering the normal bases, we found the bearing at both outputs of the transfer case (especially the rear) were shot. This was the cause for the vibration.

brand new tires, and my mech said he checked the rear bearings, but i dont think he checked the rear drum brakes, im thinking rear brakes are causing this. gona carry it to a brake shop next week and let them have a look

Originally Posted By: kenwin30
hey gensan, what did it cost to replace the rear axle seals in your 4r ?

$125 plus tax for parts and labor for both L and R seals from an independant mechanic that I trust.

i gave them a spin, i could hear the tire rubbing on some part of the brakes i guess, after i would spin the tires, they would come to a stop rather quickly

wana give u guys an update, the parking brake was locked up for a few months and getting the back right drum really hot, it had warped my drums, i got the parking brake freed up, and got new drums, but the vibration-pulsation is still there, had a guy on another forum tell me my brake shoes may be bent, does this sound possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back