oil for high mileage camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine just bought a '95 toyota camry with the 3.0 V6. it has 175,000 miles and has always been maintained properly. he doesnt want to go to synthetic just yet, so what would be the best conventional oil to use? already got a good filter, purolator classic.

If it experience no leaks nor oil burning then why change?

just stay on course with what he's been using and all would be well.

Q.

I don't believe in high mileage oils. If it's going to leak it's going to leak. 175,000 miles why bother using synthetic oil now?

Originally Posted By: Quest
If it experience no leaks nor oil burning then why change?

just stay on course with what he's been using and all would be well.

Q.

+1

yeah it runs fine and doesnt leak i was just asking which oil would be best to run in it. castrol gtx? valvoline? he just bought car and the previous owner always went to a quick lube, so no telling whats been in it before

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I don't believe in high mileage oils. If it's going to leak it's going to leak. 175,000 miles why bother using synthetic oil now?

I have to disagree. Maxlife stopped my old Dakota fron dripping almost completely.

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I have to disagree. Maxlife stopped my old Dakota fron dripping almost completely.
John

What are you disagreeing with?
How can stop a nonexistant leak?

For the OP, as PandaBear suggested, any 5W-30 on sale.

you don't need to use HM oil or synthetic... I have 2006 camry v6 with 213,000 miles. I use chevron supreme 5w30 GF5 SN. It is an excellent oil.. You can buy it for $2 -$4 a quart..

Look for good deal on amazon.com. Toyota OEM oil filter is $5.41, Toyota OEM Engine Air Filter is $18. Fast Free shipping if your order is $25 or more.. Great deal..

So I will answer.. best conventional oil is Chevron Supreme SN.

Just use Motorcraft Synblend 5W-30. Available at Walmart for like ~$3.30 a QT or Kendell SynBlend at O'Reilly Auto Parts for about the same.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
a friend of mine just bought a '95 toyota camry with the 3.0 V6. it has 175,000 miles and has always been maintained properly. he doesnt want to go to synthetic just yet, so what would be the best conventional oil to use? already got a good filter, purolator classic.

I have a 96 camry with the v6, with a bit less miles (154k). Just went from Mobil Super 5k to Shell/Pennzoil mix on my last oil change. Engine is extremely quiet with that SOPUS mix. There was nothing wrong with the Mobil; just got a really good deal on the Shell.

yea. keep in mind, motorcraft doesn't came in 5qt container.. Kragen sells motorcraft 5w30 for $4.29 a quart.. 5 qt will cost you $21.45..

I am not saying bad thing about motorcraft. MotorCraft is make by ConocoPhilip... I will use it if I can get MC for $2 a quart.

but yea I keep looking for great deal on the Dino Oil with GF5/SN.

Last edited:
"what would be the best conventional oil to use?"
"Loc: Golden Meadow, Louisiana"
"175,000 miles"

Your friend should use his fav brand because that's the one that's easiest to stay with. 5w-30 winter, 10w-30 or 10w-40 summer because oil takes longer to warm up in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back