2012 FIAT 500 test drive review @ ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brons2
$15K is pricey for a new car?
A new Yugo cost $3995, after all.
wink.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YMhEtxByFO4/Sc...k+To+Sanity.JPG

it's actually a very cool car. very well-built and equiped - especially for the price. I had an opportunity to drive one a year ago. very cool car. !!!

They did say it managed 34 m.p.g. of hard driving . Should be able to get 38 if you use a light foot . We plan to test drive one as soon as they arrive .

Outside doesn't look bad at all. The interior, epecially with the bi-color seats and the white steering wheel must be an aquired taste, to be poilte. Is there actually some type of back seat in there? Must be a jump seat like sometimes found in "cab +" pick-ups.

No, its got a real back seat in there.
Comfy too, according to my gf, and her 19 yo daughter.

The sport does drive nice, though I would have preferred to test drive a manual instead of the automatic, but what can you do when your test drive is at a Car show, and that's your only choice...

I would consider it long before I bought a Corolla, Yaris, Prius, Accent, Fit, or even the Mini, unless I wanted the extra power of the Mini S. There's more rear legroom in the 500 than in the Mini, also. Plus, the interior looks cleaner/nicer in the 500 than in the Mini.

BC.

I sat in this car today and it's a pretty neat car. One big problem will make the sunroof-equipped cars "unbuyable" for many of the U.S. population, the passenger seat. The passenger seat sits up unbelievably high and cannot be lowered. The driver's seat can be lowered. If you are taller than about 5'9" your head will touch the roof! It is a terrible problem and I can't believe they made this mistake.

It may not be an issue for the upcoming cabrio and as I was told it's not an issue for the non-sunroof cars but it is horribly uncomfortable to have your head touching the headliner all the time.The sunroof sticks down about 3 inches form the roof vs. the cabrio and non-sunroof cars. Even if your head doesn't touch the ceiling in the non-sunroof car, it still sits up uncomfortably high. This will be a deal-killer for many people I would predict. I like this car but no way in hades would I buy it with that seat height problem.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Wonder why they would do that...

The salesman said it was for legroom. If you sit higher your legs are bent and they don't have to be stretched out as far compared to if the seat was lower to the floor. Makes sense I guess. Think of sitting on a tall barstool or something. But the fact that it is not adjustable borders on the asinine, especially when the driver's seat IS adjustable. The passenger is not going to say, "wow, lots of leg room for a small car" he/she is going to say, "can you hurry up and get there please, I'm getting a bad crook in my neck"

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Wonder why they would do that...

The salesman said it was for legroom. If you sit higher your legs are bent and they don't have to be stretched out as far compared to if the seat was lower to the floor. Makes sense I guess.

Why would you not want your legs to be stretched out? As someone with chronic knee problems, I am very much aware that the less bend you have in your knee while driving / riding the better your knees will do. Any orthopedist will confirm the same thing. Poor design.

So these are made by Chrysler in Mexico correct? Same plant that made PT Cruisers?

Car and Driver has a article on one this month. They commented on the lack of headroom, the "muddled and confusing" instrument panel, thick c pillars which cause a major blind spot, the high seats, sloppy shifter, not so great steering since it has electric power steering and 30mpg in a 600 mile test loop combined with a 10.6 gallon tank is only 300 mile range.

They liked the mini cooper over it.

It being made in Mexico takes it off any list *if* I was looking.

Bill

I read that review in Car and Driver as well.

This car isn't NEARLY as impressive as I thought it would be - I honesly though this would be the second coming of the Mini - sporty, 'Italian' handling, spritely performance, very sure-footed, great mileage....but the reviews are reading like a Chevy Aveo's.....

I like the interior better than the mini. The shifter seemed fine to me (felt similat to honda fit or yaris) and I like the instrument cluster. But I haven't test drove it on the road so no chance to check steering, handling, chasis etc. In terms of interior, no comparison at all to something like the aveo IMO. Not even in the same universe. I would say on par with mini in terms of interior quality. Size wise it felt similar to sitting in the Yaris.

I'm going to check out the cabrio when it arrives in 3-4 weeks. Really the Abarth is the one to wait for probably. A cabrio abarth if they bring it here would have tons of fun factor.

I know for me the mini feels claustrophobic after about 45 minutes in it. I'm wondering if the fiat will feel the same way? My GTI doesn't feel claustrophobic even on an 8 hour road trip. I agree that the car in base form is not as impressive as a I thought it would be but it is well above the korean stuff. Hard to tell much though really without an extended test drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back