Neck tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: css9450
I'll pass your concerns on to my boss for his consideration the next time he interviews a potential new hire. Somehow I don't think its going to make a difference; he's pretty straight-laced and traditional. He's going to "recycle" the application from the guy with the 1"-diam. earlobe piercings and the neck tattoos. I've seen it MANY times.

Don't bother replying to me, tell it to my boss.

I have no idea what you're getting at here.

Like everything else, "body art" exists on a continuum, it goes from small, discreet tattoos up to facial ice cream cones; from a small stud in the ear up to the bit 1" holes. People in this thread are making blanket assumptions and stereotypes that are just plain stupid.

I do recruiting and interviewing (engineers and scientists) and I'd be doing my company a major disservice if I ruled out applicants who may not fit some definition of what people are "supposed" to look like. I've never had an applicant with prominent facial tattoos or big hole ear rings (let's face it those are exceedingly rare), but I've seen tattoos, men with earrings (the horror!), etc.

jeff

I don't really have an opinion about tattoos on men, but when women put them on their back right above their butt, it looks HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!! It takes away from the female form in the worst way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I don't really have an opinion about tattoos on men, but when women put them on their back right above their butt, it looks HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!! It takes away from the female form in the worst way.

+2 Instant turnoff for me, but it does get your attention if that is what they want.

Originally Posted By: greenjp

I have no idea what you're getting at here.

I do recruiting and interviewing and I'd be doing my company a major disservice if I ruled out applicants who may not fit some definition of what people are "supposed" to look like.

Looks like I'm just reinforcing your earlier comments about "cast aspersions or stereotypes".

Obviously every employer is different. Mine obviously rejects people based on stereotypes. Oh well it doesn't effect me.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
when women put them on their back right above their butt, it looks HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!! It takes away from the female form in the worst way.

^^Same here. That makes me want to vomit!

I've got ink.
I've got ink that's hard to hide even. (not on the neck.... I dislike that)
I want more ink.
I don't much care what other people think about my ink.
I view it similair to any other prejudice. (not the same, but similair).

I owna house.
I own my cars.
I have a career.
I pay taxes.
I'm a law abiding citizen.
I've never cost tax payers a dime (unless you wanna count being in a custody battle, being in foster care and all that)
Does the ink on my arm make me a bad person? No.
Does the ink on my arm make other people THINK I might be a bad person? Maybe. Probably.
But I have no control over that, besides trying to hide my ink (which I won't do), besides just doing what I do, and living my life.
None of my friends are bothered by it.

It is what it is, and it's definately NOT for everyone.

What most inked up people fail to realize is that the prevalence of tattoos these days are a fad. And once "everyone is doing it" it is way past the "cool" stage.
Not only that, but the majority of the tattoos are amateurish squiggles that look like bad Mexican graffiti. (is there any such thing as good Mexican graffiti ?)
The growth industry in the coming decade will be for someone who figures out a way to remove them.

LOL
"fad"
"cool"

I for one, didn't get ink because other people were doing it.
I got ink because I wanted ink.

And mine don't look like amatuer squiggles or mexican graffiti.

I've got no skulls, no dragons (although a dragon skeleton is in my future) no chinese characters, no "tribals".

I've got roots, vines, leaves, and a dragonfly.

Now I REALLY want more ink.

When I see neck tattoos on a person (male or female) ... I think the person is a low class, uneducated trailer park Jerry Springer trash who didn't get attention as a child from their parents, if they even had parents in their life as a child.

Quote:
when women put them on their back right above their butt, it looks HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!! It takes away from the female form in the worst way.

Especially when it says "Bubba was here - 2005"

I have never understood why do hispanics/black/white people get Chinese tattoos when they aren't even asian. Why spend all that money if very few people can read what your Chinese tattoo says or means ?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Rix
LOL
"fad"
I for one, didn't get ink because other people were doing it.
I got ink because I wanted ink.

And yet 40 years ago you probably wouldn't have any. I'm sure 90% of people who have ink say its not a fad and they would have had them 40 years ago and yet no-one did (bc it wasn't a fad then ?)

Sorry..its "Monkey see monkey do" Not implying you are a monkey.

Actually, the fad thing 40 years go was just as bad, if not worse, it was just much less widespread. You could guess where someone got them, as there were only a few "types" of people that did. Back then it was mainly sailors. Tattoo artists were fewer, and their style and type of tattoo were easily identified.
(not considering traditional/tribal tattooing)
The history of tattooing is kind of a neat thing to read about, if'n you're interested in info that won't ever do you any good.
LOL
The lower back tattoos (called tramp stamps by many), chinese characters, tribals, anything on the neck, etc, to me are ALL played out.
The originality of that stuff was gone 15 or 20 years ago.
I CAN appreciate a nice, tastefully done tattoo. Some of the stuff my tattoo guy has done is nothing short of incredible.
I hold no ill will towards anyone who doesn't like tattoos, even if they're outspoken about it.
I'm the one that has to live with it, noone else.
And this is much like the ford vs chevy, 1911 vs glock, etc etc.
Some like 'em, some don't.

I will also say though, seeing tramp stamps, neck tattoos, black tears next to or under the eyes, etc, do kinda make me go "yuck".
Does that make me a hypocrite? I don't even know.

I think people are completely misusing the word "fad". That something has increased in popularity, prevalence, or acceptance over the years is not proof it's a fad. Rather, a sustained increase in those things over the course of several decades would be the exact opposite of a fad.

Perhaps particular types of tattoos could be considered fads, but tattoos in general definitely do not fall into that category.

jeff

I saw a guy with a catfish on his chest with the tail wrapped around his upper arm. I don't think that kind of a tattoo would ever get old. The colors were vivid, but even if they faded with time, it would still be an amazing piece of art.

I could care less if something is as old as the human race. War is too and so is cannibalism. You civilized? or completely regressed pack animal?

No tattoos here and plan on keeping it that way. Have better things to spend my money on.

Piercings and tattoos seem to be more relevant with certain groups, ages, habits....

Not that I want to stereotype, but you can do your own statistic collecting.

We're moving away from being a civilized society to more of a animal instinct society. It shows in our fads, immaturity, and habits.

I have no problem with tattoos in general, but I have always felt visible neck tattoos were kind of a "look at me" thing by most.

Some tramp stamps or to quote Vince Vaughn "May as well be a bulls eye" can be slutty hot, the ho has to be hot though.

Yub tattoo is not really for every one, mostly older age, I call old school like my parent, dis like tattoo. They look at tattoo, consider bad thing, gangster, prison, drug.... but when I look at tattoo I look at art, and new thing like cloth. every young peoples and mostly have tattoo now a day, Im currently having full sleeve done on both of my arm. I will tell u this, its not easy to say, I want a tatoo and I want it big !, cause its hurt and painful. U gotta ready go thru the pain to get the art. Not every one can go thru that pain. and ready to live with it for the rest of your life.

About on the neck, u can say good bye of getting a job. For younger peoples they will look at u as normal person, but for older old school peoples will look at u as criminal, gangster. asking why the [censored] they put that thing on their neck, well they do it for a reason. they just dont care wat other think.

btw most and some will say, when u do tattoo and when u get old it will look UGLY, well when u get old your skin will look ugly anyway lol

at the end, its their life, its their body, let they do wat ever they want to do with it, just worried about yourself, and for older peoples, u already live your life, let younger generation live their own life. I do the same when I get older.

Im coming from an asian family, they are very strickly about tattoo, but at my generation, i look at tattoo in a different way, art, cool, and it look good with ed hardy,Affliction Clothing yes those are 100 dollar T shirt ^^

One last thing about girl having tattoo. If they can go thru the pain I go thru, I respect them alot. U will know wat Im talking about when u get one, I saw this girl with full beautiful colorful on her full arm, man that take year to finish and alot of pain. im asking she her number and her tattoo artist ^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Seen some corn-fed gretchen wilson looking chick today with a tat of a cross on her neck.
37.gif

its on your neck ? if not dont worried about it lol. Im not try be rude, im just say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back