Brake Rotor FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! I am surprised that the piston(s) didn't come out of the caliper and cause a hydraulic failure...but he sure got his money's worth out of that set of pads!

Its possible. Typically, common sense will prevent that.

But, most owners don't have the sense to know when something is wrong.

The picture is why I support yearly safety inspections and stickers. These fools need to be taken off the road for repairs.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Its possible. Typically, common sense will prevent that.
But, most owners don't have the sense to know when something is wrong.
The picture is why I support yearly safety inspections and stickers. These fools need to be taken off the road for repairs.

Well it happened to me on a Ford Capri I had as a kid.
I wasn't driving the car at the time but changing the pads and the rotor simply broke away.

BTW what State has yearly safety inspections?
I don't want to live there; I've got too many cars!
No safety inspections at all in my province except when during a change of registration. We live with too many nanny state controls as it is.

Pennsylvania has annual inspection. Two wheels at opposite corners come off. Brake pad thicknesses are measured as is tread depth on tires. All lights and the horn must work. Wipers must work and not cause streaking. Fenders must go over the tires. The exhaust system must be tight with no holes from rust through. All emission equipment must be in place. Emissions is done by hooking up a line from the car to a computer. Basically, if your CEL light is not on, you will pass.

i've seen rotors worn down through the vents, but not that far..

that is bad.

I've also seen pads wear completely through the pad, the metal it is bonded to, and eventually started wearing the caliper pistons. Some people just aren't good with maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Pennsylvania has annual inspection.

So that's RI and Pennsylvania; I'm sure there are more; maybe most States.
AFAIK no provinces in Canada thankfully.

RI is every 2 years for passenger vehicles, and 1 year for light duty trucks.

Originally Posted By: mattd
i've seen rotors worn down through the vents, but not that far..

There were rear rotors, there were no vents on these. The total thickness of the metal that has to be worn away is only about 1/2 of the front rotors... of course most braking is done by the fronts and not the rears. Makes you wonder how long it had been like this and if the driver was a 95 year old lady who had lost her hearing.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Ontario has an inspection that is far more intense that these. Thankfully it is only needed on vehicle ownership transfer and not yearly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection#United_States

Nobody wants to live in a nanny state. But, when your ignorance and negligence affects others, then we have no choice but to legislate.

Driving and texting
Drinking and driving
Driving and speeding
Driving while high on drugs
Driving while talking on a cellphone
Mandatory insurance(and you wonder why???)
Mandatory inspections(duh!)

Those against nanny states, think of how life would be without traffic lights, stop signs, speed limits, driving on what side of the road....

If you don't want the nanny state, give me the right to exterminate anyone that causes me undue harm for their ignorance, negligence, or lack of common sense.

undummy, safety inspections just become another excuse for the govt to tax us. They will do it just for the money, even in california king of all commie states the inspections are a joke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Pennsylvania has annual inspection.

NY has it also.

Inspections here are profitable.

You go in with bad brakes and tires, and you leave with new brakes/tires/.... and an inspection sticker.

Every car that fails, or is taken off the road, benefits us.

Those we can't afford to maintain their vehicles, should take a cab or bus.

The other option is to tax stupidity!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Ontario has an inspection that is far more intense that these. Thankfully it is only needed on vehicle ownership transfer and not yearly...

Really, I've gotten a "safety" on a car bought with the mechanic basically walking around the car, looking through the wheels with a pen flashlight at the pads and having me step on the brakes, turning on the lights and indicators....done.
And don't tell anybody but I even got a "safety" from a mechanic friend without even seeing the car.

Originally Posted By: defektes
undummy, safety inspections just become another excuse for the govt to tax us. They will do it just for the money, even in california king of all commie states the inspections are a joke.

I actually want to see CA adopt annual inspections. There are far too many junkers on the road as well as cars with mods they should not have in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Really, I've gotten a "safety" on a car bought with the mechanic basically walking around the car, looking through the wheels with a pen flashlight at the pads and having me step on the brakes, turning on the lights and indicators....done.
And don't tell anybody but I even got a "safety" from a mechanic friend without even seeing the car.

Who ever gave you that safety risks losing his license as well as the owner of the garage he works for. MTO does audits on a regular basis and matches works orders with safety certificates. No mechanic is going to take that risk to make $69. If you got a safety like you said, then you are the exception to the rule and you know it. I have had friends with a class A license and they would net give me a safety certificate unless it was legitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back