Be CAREFUL folks.....wowser........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

If your gun jams, pull the magazine out and lock the slide back while pointing the gun away from you. You do it everytime!

I think people don't really understand how a gun works so when something out of the ordinary happens, they don't know what to do. If they don't deal with guns a lot, they forget how dangerous they are.

I still remember the people at the gun range I worked at that would complain about their gun not working right. Head onto the range and they have the bullets in the magazine backward...
spankme2.gif

Happened more than once!

I was also shooting with a guy that owned a Sig 220 (.45) and 226 (9mm). Pretty soon he shows me an exploded 9mm case and a P220 mag filled with 9mm...

Also saw a guy "top" his finger with an SP-89. He had some big sniper scope on it (!!) and was shooting of the bench and got his finger in the way. He's very lucky he didn't lose the whole finger.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
"he banged on the muzzle with his palmto unjam it"

WHAT? What the heck does that mean?

It means he hit the end of the barrel with his palm in an attempt to unjam the gun. The end of the barrel, called the muzzle, is where the bullet comes out. Obviously a big no-no.

I understand that perfectly fine but it makes no sense why anyone would do that. I cannot think of any scenario where slamming on the muzzle end of the firearm with my hand would clear a jam.

On a Springfield XD you would grab the slide at the rear serrations and forcefully pull back the slide while keeping the muzzle pointed downrange. Of course prior to doing that you would drop the magazine and if you suspected a hangfire you should firmly hold the firearm while keeping the muzzle pointed downrange in the event the round had a delayed release.

If the guy had to put his hand in front of the muzzle to clear a jam, I am inclined to think the jam was actually a misfire and he didn't have the dexterity to eject the unspent round. Then again this all makes very little sense so I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
^
I dont understand why people attempt to clean their weapons loaded. Way to dangerous, heard that story too many times.
That is the best way to clean a gun
33.gif
As with every piece of machinery there are basic well proven safety rules and procedures to follow . A gun is a piece of machinery as is a car, a drill, impact wrench a car lift an plane etc.

Cleaning a loaded gun is like changing the oil on a running engine. And, lack of common sense is rampant in todays society since no-one has any experience other than complaining non-stop or playing video games.

Sad, but more people will get hurt doing stupid stuff.
Your fan has a screen on it for a reason. The cup of coffee has a warning too. Who would have known that the window's bug screen can't support my weight either ;-)

I think that the NRA fails when it comes to making safety training available everywhere. I also blame the FFL's selling weapons to anyone with NO experience either, and owners that didn't make sure that the entire household was competent/mature enough for that weapon.

Some life insurance won't pay for suicide. So, gun cleaning accidents are pretty common, as are crashing into telephone poles, or driving off bridges.

You can make a idiot proof product.
They will make a better idiot.

I just think he had a senior moment.

I met a guy who shot himself with his kel-tec .380 through his left hand. He just finished cleaning it, put a round in the chamber, and left his finger on the trigger.
The guy had HUGE HANDS, the round went in the meat of his thumb at an angle to exit the meat also, and miss his little finger. Just a graze, no bones hit.
However, he did have a dime sized hole and a HUGE bruise from the FMJ ammo that was loaded.

Brain farts happen. That is why you practice safety.

Car accidents claim at least 30,000 lives in the USA every year, and have for decades. But car dealers continue to sell cars to idiots.
How is a dealer for new or used cars supposed to know that that individual is a idiot who will take life when he purchases a car?

This line of logic does not work.

I have known men to die from accidents off of ladders. If you are not safe, in a car, or with a ladder, you can kill yourself or someone you love easily.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I've read past stats that stated most shootings with self-defense home protection handguns are a family member or the owner as an accidental shooting.

As Pablo stated, not revelant, but to the point, completely and utterly a huge false lie.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I've read past stats that stated most shootings with self-defense home protection handguns are a family member or the owner as an accidental shooting.

Depending on where you go, you can find stats that claim just about anything. I have always read that accidental deaths/injuries from firearms are in the less than 10% range vs the overall total. Then again, its just Stats on the internet.

I actually did that to myself before.

I was like seven years old.

I had traded some stuff to another kid for his Marksman .45 replica spring action BB pistol. I didn't really have the hand strength to cock it so I came up with some fairly dangerous methods to compensate for my lack of strength.

For some reason I had my palm over the barrel. I had just loaded one of those airgun darts with the tuft on one end and the point on the other.

You know what happens next.

Yep. Shot myself right in the palm. Held my hand up and there's the tuft of the dart sticking straight out of the palm of my hand

Oh man, it hurt so bad. I wanted to cry so much. But I was in front of the "bigger kids" (sixth graders with real pump airguns)
Whoa! that little kid just got shot. Hey! Who shot the little kid? Hey Ritchie! Remember when you got shot? You cried like a little baby. This little kid isn't even crying!

Nothing to do but pull it out. don't cry Just pull it out.
don't cry C'mon do it!....
It actually came out really easy. Left a tiny little hole in the center of my palm.

I never told my parents what I had done. They bought me a Crossman pump rifle that Christmas because I had been so "responsible" with that pistol. Still feel a little guilty about that.

BUT THEN stuff happens even to the best trained people. I was thinking about the plane parking lot crash. The pilots are very well trained and accidents still happen.

This is why I carry a large military pack with me to the range. There are a ton of supplies, but above all, a REAL battlefield trauma pack w/quick clot. I consider it a mobile hospital. I have the supplies and all the instructions needed to deal with a lot of things, especially firearm wounds.

Shoot safe guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back