Anyone affected by looming government shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not directly, but my government counterparts are. I'm a contractor for DoD. Military and Contractors have to work. The civilian employees may not.

Originally Posted By: Torino
If they are 'non-essential' who needs them anyway? John--Las Vegas.

The sad thing is they will all get paid. The ones what didn't work probably at the regular rate and those who worked without pay at a rate of Time and a half.

In an non-upside down world..those who didn't work would not get paid.

My wife works in a college library, they're talking about cutting back in her department. (hers is the lowest staffed library department around already)
She's technically a state employee, not really .gov, but sorta.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Originally Posted By: Torino
Well, the very veiled threat was that some 800,000 'non-essential' Govt. employees will be laid off. If they are 'non-essential' who needs them anyway? John--Las Vegas.

Interesting point.

The same phrase is used at every private-sector employer too when there is a snow or other emergency. Where I work (which is very profitable) "non-essential" includes over 80% of the staff - but I guarantee we could not be profitable without them on an ongoing basis. Your reasoning is classical "sound bite" thinking.

Last edited:
Military pay is not certain Pablo:

Deputy Secretary of Defense William J. Lynn III Message to DOD Workforce on Potential Government Shutdown http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=14393>
Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:58:00 -0500

"If the government shuts down due to the absence of funding, the DoD will have no funds to pay military members or civilian employees for the days during which the government is shut down. However, both military and civilian personnel will receive pay for the period worked prior to the shutdown. Military personnel, and civilians occupying excepted status positions and required to work, are entitled to be paid for work performed during the shutdown, and will be paid retroactively once the department receives additional funding. Congress would have to provide authority in order for the department to retroactively pay non-excepted employees for the furloughed period.

"Military retirees and annuitants are not paid from annually appropriated funds, and therefore their benefits should continue without interruption.

But retiree pay is good to go!

Last edited:
We paid good money to have our teenager fly out to Washington D.C. with her class on a school trip next week. Now it looks like there will be no museums, no Smithsonian, no tours of monuments. I'm a little bit peeved.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I've never heard of this happening in Canada.

I guess our politics are bit miore separated from the financial adminstration....I'm not saying that is 'better', it's just interesting to see the difference - a political stalemate here would never mean that a govt. employee would not get there paycheck.

My limited understanding is that a budget is a matter of "confidence" in our government. Not passing a budget means we have an election.

All other countries I have lived in, not passing budget meant the dissolution of the legislative branch and new elections.

You're right, not passing a budget means an election.

But while the election is going on, there are no real interruptions to govt. paychecks, or govt. services - Museums are still open, people still go to work, and get paid.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
We paid good money to have our teenager fly out to Washington D.C. with her class on a school trip next week. Now it looks like there will be no museums, no Smithsonian, no tours of monuments. I'm a little bit peeved.

you have every right to be peeved...

It's such a great opportunity for kids to go to Washington...I would really hate to see your teenager miss out on the experience...

Instead of shutdown, they need to shrink the gov't down by whatever it has grown in the past 30 years.

Sorry, I have no pity for anyone that this affects. Quit relying on the feds. Sick of my money being wasted by these clowns running the show.

So, if it takes a shutdown or two to make a few of the washington clowns to wake up a little, then let it be.

I can balance the budget overnight. Sure, it'll a lot of people. But, the country as a whole will be much better. I myself am tired of subsidizing my neighbors, along with the plenty of do nothing city, state, county, and federal employees.

The dog and pony show continues...

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I understand it the non essential people may get paid, but Congress will need to approve the money for them. The essential ones will get paid though. One thing I noticed though was that some in Congress have already said their staff are essential. Maybe they are afraid of the flak they would get if their staff didn't get paid. I would hate it if I went someplace and found that I couldn't see it because of this though. Way too much politics involved in this nonsense.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Sorry, I have no pity for anyone that this affects. Quit relying on the feds. Sick of my money being wasted by these clowns running the show.

Does that include the Active Duty military, including the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines, who are deployed around the world in combat zones...

They are paid with appropriated funds...and in a government shut-down, they may not be paid...

Seems wrong to me - tell a soldier in a tent in Afghanistan that his wife and kids won't be able to make the mortgage this month...but keep up the good work son...don't worry about that right now...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
There are too many people feeding from the slop trough of the U.S. taxpayers sorry to say.

Agreed!

I will not affected the shutdown but I have been terribly affected by them when there in business.

One thing I have not heard is how much money, all military personnel aside, this will actually save the US if we have these ridiculously over paid, under worked, non essential, greasy, union, federal employees are forced to sit on their butts at home without a paycheck rather than sitting on their butts while suckling on the taxpayer booby.

I think will be a wonderfully good thing if the people that voted overwhelmingly for all of this hope and change to finally experience some off it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Does that include the Active Duty military, including the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines, who are deployed around the world in combat zones...

They are paid with appropriated funds...and in a government shut-down, they may not be paid...

Seems wrong to me - tell a soldier in a tent in Afghanistan that his wife and kids won't be able to make the mortgage this month...but keep up the good work son...don't worry about that right now...

Says who? Military is on their own yearly budget. Research first before butting your foot in your mouth.
Essential employees aren't affected. Non-essential employees are. So, why do we need non-essential employees in government to begin with?

With every career, there are risks. If you don't get paid, don't go to work!

I don't want any of my taxes wasted on bogus wars. They should defund the war effort, and bring all troops home. Then we can just lay them off and cut that military budget in half too!

Sorry, I still have no pity, warmongers included.

I always do my research...but in this case, I had no need...

Deputy Secretary of Defense William J. Lynn III Message to DOD Workforce on Potential Government Shutdown http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=14393>
Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:58:00 -0500

"If the government shuts down due to the absence of funding, the DoD will have no funds to pay military members or civilian employees for the days during which the government is shut down. However, both military and civilian personnel will receive pay for the period worked prior to the shutdown. Military personnel, and civilians occupying excepted status positions and required to work, are entitled to be paid for work performed during the shutdown, and will be paid retroactively once the department receives additional funding. Congress would have to provide authority in order for the department to retroactively pay non-excepted employees for the furloughed period."

I respect your opinion on budget and war...but the troops who have volunteered to serve us all are not the ones who have chosen to take this nation to war...and they don't have a choice to "not go to work"...

Last edited:
I found out that I am excepted which means that I have to work, but apparently I don't get paid until it all clears up.

It will be kind of annoying if non-excepted employees get paid... Not because I wish anyone without pay, but if a dollar is a dollar, I could be getting home projects done instead.

Of course I love what I do so would probably be doing work anyway... though we are not allowed to "volunteer" if furloughed.

I dont think a shutdown is a bad thing. I dont know if the symbolism is worth a darn, unfortunately they are shutting down/harming the wrong things/people.

Well, what if they are doing this because they care as well? Not everybody signs up just for the paycheck...

Besides, I think this thread has run it's course.....

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Have a nice vacation Nick.

Out of respect for everyone else on bitog, I removed it and resent it in a PM. But I do feel I was perfectly justified in saying it.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Have a nice vacation Nick.

Out of respect for everyone else on bitog, I removed it and resent it in a PM. But I do feel I was perfectly justified in saying it.

Good luck in debate class!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back