5w-20 instead of 0s-20 in new Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
dtt004 is just having some fun with you all.

Honda doesn't insist on the use of their own 0W-20 brand therefore you can run whatever you want without issue during the warranty period and that includes 30wt oils.
Why? While all 5W-20's are heavier than Honda's 0W-20 their are 0W-20's that are heavier than most 5W-20's and some even spreading into the 30wt range.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing Honda/Acura of North America would go to bat in court over the weight of oil used within reason over a warranty dispute. AFAIK, they still recommend XW-30 or even 40 in some of the same engines in other parts of the world...

This is what my 2011 Honda Accord Owners Manual says:

"Honda Motor Oil is the preferred
0W-20 lubricant for your vehicle. It is
highly recommended that you use
Honda Motor Oil in your vehicle for
optimum engine protection. Make
sure the API Certification Seal says
‘‘For Gasoline Engines’’."

From previuos poster:Buy a Chevy or a Biuck and you won't have that problem... USA

GM=Government Motors financed by the Chinese. No thank you.

Last edited:
Chaser, for me, the real question is WHEN, not what. Are you a believer in the MM for dumping the FF? I have purchased some of the new Honda full syn -9037 online and OE filters for the first few changes. Can you really hold on until that Maintenance Minder runs down to 15% at 8000 miles or so? EVERYONE in Hondaworld says, "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THAT FACTORY FILL OIL!"

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Chaser, for me, the real question is WHEN, not what. Are you a believer in the MM for dumping the FF? I have purchased some of the new Honda full syn -9037 online and OE filters for the first few changes. Can you really hold on until that Maintenance Minder runs down to 15% at 8000 miles or so? EVERYONE in Hondaworld says, "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THAT FACTORY FILL OIL!"

I think the answer to your question depends on who you talk to. Some say yes; some say no. There are some oil analysis' of Honda factory fills in the oil analysis section. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do as I have about 2,500 miles on my current Accord and have a little time to decide.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
OP owns 3 Hondas, there must be a manual in at least one of them. Read it yourself.

Honda engineer drives everything but a Honda so I am skeptical about his answer.

OP should drop a quick email or call to his local dealer or Honda's website to get the answer "right from the horse's mouth".
We are all just spinning our wheels here for no reason.

Hey Papa Bear did you read Honda Engineer's response ?

Sounds perfectly fine to me and its logical.

If his response makes you skeptical then it makes me think you either didn't understand the question or don't understand his response.

Last edited:

Honda engineer drives everything but a Honda so I am skeptical about his answer.

I see an Acura on his list. Does that count?

Still, can he not be a Honda engineer yet not own a Honda? If I own a Honda and claim that they need straight 50 weight, does that make it true, simply because I own a Honda?

Is there some requirement by Honda that all employees must own a Honda? I'd hate to be an employee at the Acme Nuclear Warhead Plant and be forced to keep one of those babies under the bed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: z917990
Sorry...I did not mean to cause confusion. I was just asking a question out of pure curiosity. I do not own a 2011 Honda. Therefore, I do not have an owner's manual and I cannot just "read it myself". As someone pointed out, I own three Hondas, all of which specify 5w-20. I have read the owner's manuals for all three cars. I will try to restate my original question with more clarity. 1. Considering the relative scarcity of 0w-20 and its higher cost, can 5w-20 be used in newer Hondas that specify 0w-20? 2. Does the owner's manual or other literature address this issue i.e. the substitution of 5w-20 for 0w-20 if 0w-20 is unavailable? 3. Will the use of any other viscosity other than 0w-20 void the warranty? Once again, thank you.

My 2011 Accord owners manual clearly states that 0w-20 is the only grade of oil to be used.

Last edited:
I also just bought a new 2011 Accord SE 4 cylinder. Mine also states to use 0w20, and not drain the FF until the maintenance minder says to. I am undecided about how long to actually leave it in. As the car only has 900 miles on it currently, I have some time to decide. My more serious dilemma is that I have a quite substantial oil stash, and none of it is 0w20. I'm not at all opposed to using 0w20 in the winters to help with cold start protection, but what harm could possibly come of using a 5w20 synthetic like PU or Synpower in the summer? I have several years worth of oil changes of those two oils on hand. Would it be sensible to use those up for summer fills, and run M1 0w20 in the winter? Please advise.

I have the "same" 4 cyl in an '04 Accord and the manual suggests 5w-20. My guess is the car will be just fine on 5w-20. The 0w-20, along with other tweaks, may have helped Honda boost the mpg in the '11 over the '08-'10 Accords.

Thanks, I thought that the engine was the same motor that had been used in 2010's and such, which called for 5w20.

0w20 and 5w20 difference isn't much during normal usage. 0w20 does force the oil to be a quality blend or full synthetic. Basically, in the aftermarket non-OE OTC 0w20's, you're forced to use a full synthetic as there are only a few 0w20's to choose from.

If you have full synthetic 5w20, feel free to thumb your nose at Honda and use it. Your engine won't notice unless you drive a flying sleigh and use parking spaces on the north or south pole.

I would NOT use a mineral 5w20 in place of a required blend or full synthetic 0w20, and is probably the only reason why 0w20 is a forced requirement. Cheapo consumers will do anything to save a buck and then blame the automaker down the road. This is one reason why 'options' aren't given by many automakers anymore.

Marketing dept's are still afraid of the words 'full synthetic'. So, they come up with weights or specs that require it and avoid those words. Sad that consumers buy vehicles from automakers that treat consumers like dummies.

Any engineer working for an automaker and can't give a VALID reason why a full synthetic 5w20 can't be used in place of a 0w20 isn't one that I would hire.

If you bought a new vehicle, feel free to change the oil whenever you want. Do it early. You're not going to save the world by using a few extra gallons off oil over the life of the vehicle. And, if you decide to keep the vehicle longer than what the automaker considers to be a 'life', MAINTAIN IT.

Quote:
Any engineer working for an automaker and can't give a VALID reason why a full synthetic 5w20 can't be used in place of a 0w20 isn't one that I would hire.

It's not the engineers. If Honda used 0W-20 to obtain their CAFE rating, that's the only oil that they can recommend. It doesn't matter if 5W-20 or even 20W-50 would work just fine. The law says 0W-20 goes on the oil cap and is the recommended oil viscosity in the owner's manual.

Ed

Just to add my two cents worth: I own a 2010 CRV. I have taken it in for "early" oil changes, rather than wait for the car to tell me what to do! Each time, my dealer has offered 5w20 blend over the more expensive 0w20 full synth. This is my sixth new Honda since the 1980's..all from the same dealer.I have no reason to believe they would steer me wrong. I trust that they would tell me "wrong choice" if the 5w20 was not ok. Why would they assist in voiding my warranty?

Its not the law. Its a recommendation.

Don't trust your dealer. They are crooks and make up their own rules with it benefits them.
With Colorado as your location, I would definitely want a full synthetic and not any bulk discount swill.

The "Swill" spoken of comes out of a Honda silver/grey bottle. The same tech has worked on my cars for seventeen years. I trust him. Many dealers are out for blood. Mine is not. If I walked into the average dealership with an attitude, I'd most likely get one back in some form, thru my wallet maybe? The end.

Originally Posted By: rcy

I see an Acura on his list. Does that count?

Still, can he not be a Honda engineer yet not own a Honda? If I own a Honda and claim that they need straight 50 weight, does that make it true, simply because I own a Honda?

Is there some requirement by Honda that all employees must own a Honda? I'd hate to be an employee at the Acme Nuclear Warhead Plant and be forced to keep one of those babies under the bed.

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back