Puff of black smoke during morning startups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2000 Camry LE - 5sfe with 132k miles

During these pass 2 days, my car will crank/start/drive normally but it will puff black smoke during morning startups out of the tailpipe for couple seconds. I've check all fluid levels, they didn't drop and are in good condition. Also, my car just pass the TX emission test last Saturday if that matters.

So how worried should I be? and what other things I should check/do?

Thanks
Jim

No big deal. Your emissions test past is probably just an ODB-II scan and the computer is pretty generous on a cold startup about ignoring little glitches. And you get cold start enrichment. Back in the days of chokes we got black smoke for several minutes.

stick your finger into exhault pipe, see how much black stuff u get from your hand, I dont like any black, blue smoke coming out tail pipe when start the car, unless it white and was cold out side, its normal, but black no.

It could be an injector sticking when cold,i have seen this a few times.
They pass the initial leak test okay so it does not leak fuel into the cylinder overnight,but after it fires it sticks briefly causing it to not hold pressure on the next test.
An intermittent injector problem is very difficult to diagnose with the injectors in the engine.
A fuel pressure tester may help determining if this is the case.

That's just one possibility,to get to the bottom of the problem it needs to be put on a real time scan tool not just a code scanner.
Being cold the engine is not in closed loop so that eliminates a host of things.

Also, there's no smoke this morning, but does it mean my car is okay now?! or what else should I check?

I've checked the oil again today (both cold&hot) and didn't smell anything odd. Also, there's no warning lights on. Also, there's dirt/ very thin layer of black ash(?!) on my exhault pipe.

Also, my valve seals are replaced in a local shop ~10k miles or ~1year ago. So I think they're should be okay?

Next parking lot check out everyone elses exhaust pipes. They have soot too!

I think you're just getting more car-aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back