Flying 2x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
And it is a good lesson not to tailgate.

You call that tailgating? In my area, this would be considered leaving too much space. You'll have numerous drivers trying to squeeze into that space.
smile.gif

Wow! Lucky lady. I was once on a motorcycle behind a flat bed truck, about 50 yards back. All of a sudden a 4X8 sheet of plywood flew off the truck, up into the air. I'm looking at it broadside, examining my options. Just as quickly, the air pressure dropped it to the ground, and I steered around it. Be alert out there, people.

Originally Posted By: mikiee
I was once on a motorcycle behind a flat bed truck, about 50 yards back. All of a sudden a 4X8 sheet of plywood flew off the truck, up into the air.

Being relatively new to the world of motorcycle riding, this just sent shivers down my spine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You call that tailgating? In my area, this would be considered leaving too much space. You'll have numerous drivers trying to squeeze into that space.
smile.gif

Same here. I still don't understand why she happened to be filming at the time...?

I was once on a motorcycle behind a flat bed truck, about 50 yards back. All of a sudden a 4X8 sheet of plywood flew off the truck, up into the air.

Being relatively new to the world of motorcycle riding, this just sent shivers down my spine.

On a bike, I stay well back from a loaded truck or trailer until there is the opening to pass, then I get as close to the far left shoulder as I can and drop the hammer to get by as fast as possible.

smile.gif

I here ya.
Studying the video I could see there was no traffic in front of the slow poke towing the trailer (off topic but what in the [censored] is he/she doing in the left lane being passed by a tractor-trailer on the right but I digress?).

Call it 40 years of driving/racing and an acquired sixth sense, but whenever possible I stay well back from such scenarios; they are a recipe for disaster.

smile.gif

They can have it; I'll keep dropping back! That was about a half-second of following distance.

Give up on the rat race. Back off and let all the "numerous drivers/rats" have their way.

I bet she won't be tailgating as much anymore.

Darwin would be proud!

always hang back and slow down.

shows you how quick it can end.

2 people died in seperate accidents near us this week, just a bit of rain...

Wow! Lucky lady. I was once on a motorcycle behind a flat bed truck, about 50 yards back. All of a sudden a 4X8 sheet of plywood flew off the truck, up into the air. I'm looking at it broadside, examining my options. Just as quickly, the air pressure dropped it to the ground, and I steered around it. Be alert out there, people.

I got hit by a 5 foot long section of blown out 18 wheeler tire. I was 3 lanes over and maybe 3 car lengths back. Complete freak occurence that it flew back at that angle. It smashed the EPS liner flat on my forehead above my eye and tore my faceshield off. If I had been in a car?
21.gif
Who knows?
That video makes me flinch.
To this day, I can't drive behind a trailer or truck that I think has a load that is not completely secure.

If a concrete worker has a load of re-bar in his trailer, I cannot be anywhere near it. They never secure that [stuff].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back