Valvoline Professional Intake Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work we just changed from Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner setup, which injects a liquid in through a vacuum line to clean the intake valves along with a tank dose to a new Valvoline setup. The Valvoline setup has a 'Smoke-Free Intake cleaner' which goes in through a vacuum line just like the Gumout but does not smoke like the Gumout did. When the Valvoline Rep was talking, he said, "this is a detergent based cleaner; it doesn't use solvents to clean like the Gumout." This peaked my interest, so I went and looked up the MSDS.

It lists:

Solvent Naptha 64742-89-8 >=60- Cyclohexanone 108-94-1 >=10- Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether 112-34-5 >=10- Methyl-N 2-Pyrrolidone 872-50-4 >=5- Xylene 1330-20-7 >=1.5- Ethyl Benzene 100-41-4 >=1-
Seems to me "Solvent Naptha" is a solvent..right?
It also comes with a bottle for the tank which has:
Hydrotreated Heavy Naptha 64742-48-9 >=80- Distillates, Sweetened middle 64741-86-2 >=1.5- Solvent Naptha 64742-94-5 >=1.5- Napthalene 91-20-3 >=0.1-
Which seems kinda lame to me. What do you guys think?

Considering the fact that the Gumout Regane has the most effective gas detergent available "PEA" and the Valvoline product has never had it and doesn't appear to have it in this formula my guess is that the ONLY reason your workplace is changing is because they will make MORE PROFIT on it, even though it will do a LESS effective job on cleaning.

Smoke-free. Who cares if it doesn't clean effectively.

You mean Xylene? Its also a solvent. Maybe I should crack a can and pour it on the ants we have in the bathroom at work. lol.

Do you work at Walmart?
smile.gif
My local WM alerted me to this "change" - since I'm one of their "regulars" of their Fuel Injection Cleaning service on all my vehicles (every 60k or so, generally, just for maintenance/cheap insurance....).

I don't know the reason for the change from GumOut to Valvoline, but something that peaked my interest was the fact that "Gum Out 2 Step Fuel Injection" cleaner is no where mentioned on the gumout.com web site......almost as if, it's created/sourced by another company, who just got GumOut's "permission" to market their product/service with the Gum Out name....granted, I did see the bottles of cleaner, they were clearly marked with the Trademarked "Gum Out" logo/font...but just odd that the gumout.com site has NO mention of a product that they offer at certain stores.....

And speaking of the GumOut....I don't exactly know if the "Gum Out 2 Step Fuel Injection" concoction actually even "contains" the PEA that the "Over the counter" Regane carries....perhaps someone could delve into that one
smile.gif

Long story short, anything (be it water, oil, solvent, detergent) that is slirped through the intake should do SOME kind of cleaning.....I'd be interested in knowing how the Valvoline service is "smoke less" though....if it's going through the intake, with the engine running, it's gotta burn up the detergent, which should produce some kind of exhaust....unless it's one of those things that hooks up to the exhaust, and re-directs the exhaust somewhere else....? I've heard of shops doing an "induction service" like this, where they hook a hose of some such up to the exhaust, so they don't give off the "mosquito spray effect" to the area around the shop.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back