BMW Approved Oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a simple one: the only place to get filters will be from the dealer. While you're getting a filter, pick up the necessary oil. As others have said, it's a good product and usually competitively priced. There's no reason to use anything else.

If you feel inclined to buy online, there's an online source that I've used a few times for my family BMW's - www.getbmwparts.com - that has "kits" of a filter and oil at a discount with free shipping.

u will most likely find 0w30 castrol at auto zone, and mobil 1 0w-40 any where. I do stay with mobil 1 0w-40 since it availible every where.

Originally Posted By: jimbod
I just replaced oil in my 535xi with Castrol Edge. Do I need to replace it with something else?

If you had the normally aspirated engine I'd say that you were OK for 7,500 miles. With the N54 or N55 I'd say you're good for between 4-7k. Just my own opinion based on what I know about these BMW engines and being on BITOG for a few years.

Here Ye, Here Ye!
I've been on a mission to find 5w-50 Synthetic for my valve guide leaking 135,000 mile X5 bmw. Redline has it and its $13.50/qt and a 3 month waiting list, Napa has Castrol syntec 5w-50 and it is only $8.11/qt so I got 11 qts , all they had.

And here is their write up it's comical. The OIL FOR EVERYTHING. from your sewing machine to your ocean going cruise ship enjoy

SAE 5W–50:
provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W-50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start-up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements (does this also mean the '06 Ford Explorer engine that will only take 5w-30)for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3; Ford WSS-M2C931-B and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

THERe THIS SHOULD SETTLE ALL ARGUEMENTS LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Here Ye, Here Ye!
I've been on a mission to find 5w-50 Synthetic for my valve guide leaking 135,000 mile X5 bmw. Redline has it and its $13.50/qt and a 3 month waiting list, Napa has Castrol syntec 5w-50 and it is only $8.11/qt so I got 11 qts , all they had.

FYI, you can get M1 5w-50 on line for about the same price as that Syntec, but you'll have to add shipping.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Here Ye, Here Ye!

FYI, you can get M1 5w-50 on line for about the same price as that Syntec, but you'll have to add shipping.

Let's see 22lbs shipped priority mail (cheapest I've found) would be like $30+ dollars or about $11/qt. Napa got C Syntec to me the next day with no shipping for $8.11.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back