performance chips scams or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1989 chevy truck single cab with a 350 small block. the only modifications i have made are a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and a duel exhaust system with headers other than that the truck is stock. my question is whether or not there is a performance chip on the market that is somewhat affordable and actually does what it claims without harming my truck. Any and all thought are appreciated thank you.

p.s i know there are "chips" out there but are really just resistors that lie to my engine in order to dump more fuel in for thier supposed hp gains.

The only chip that would be "safe" to use in your truck and also give atleast a little HP gain would be the Hypertech:

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/products-results.aspx

As far as the newer stuff (late 90's to today), Hypertech is outdone by Diablo Sport and others but in it's day (the 80's) they were the best known chip maker. Only application I ever had issue with was for my Buick GN in which all they did was raise boost but not fuel pulse so it sucked. In a buddy's 88 Camaro the Hypertech woke it up pretty well.

hyper-tech was my original choice the price was reasonable but when it seems to good to be true it usually is, their claims are definitely not modest. i cant really find any numbers on how they have done on like a pre and post dyno test and that is the only reason i am hesitant to buy. i would also like know how it does this job because as mentioned before i don't want a resistor messing with my engines readings. Thanks for the replies

Hi.

I would bring it to a known tuning shop with a dynamometer and have them tune your ECU for you. I prefer to have vehicles that have fuel injection and ignition maps individualized for performance and reliability reasons.

A complete tune lasts about 3 hours when done by a shop.

Street cars don't need dyno runs to tune the average vehicle.
This is because the engines are already a known commodity.
Factory chips from major suppliers are very good -very close.
They can give you octane choices for your car.

Are you racing? That is a whole 'nuther ball game!

Very importantly:
Street chips are tuned for PART and full throttle. Dyno pulls DO NOT!

mechtech2,

Other than making it run richer, or changing the advance curve, what can a performance chip actually do?
I guess you could have more advance, and use a higher octane fuel?
If you had a turbo, I suppose more fuel and more boost, with a possible loss in durability.

Every platform varies.

On my Chrysler a CMR tune is always the best, but can only be performed by a dyno tuner with Chip Master Revolution licensing.

Our entire community will tell you that Diablo is the 'bomb' when it comes to a hand held. Be very careful to visit their web sites and forums before purchase!

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Handheld programers are worth it. I got an SCT with custom tune and gained 28 at the wheels. Chips, like in a piggyback funcion, no so much..

I believe hand held programmers are for OBD-II. Which have no "chip"

This truck has OBD-I, and has a "chip".

I don't care for the use of chips or tuners of any kind,aftermarket exhaust and cai are fine.Chips and or tune programmers cause the need for more upgrades to be safely used,it would be better to put in a new crate engine or a lite rebuild for the horsepower and torque boost imo.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
mechtech2,

Other than making it run richer, or changing the advance curve, what can a performance chip actually do?
I guess you could have more advance, and use a higher octane fuel?
If you had a turbo, I suppose more fuel and more boost, with a possible loss in durability.

Other than that!?
You are right about turbo'd vehicles. They can crank the boost up for sure. BIg difference.

Normally, Fuel and ignition timing are about it, but cam timing is becoming a good way to get different engine performance. Trans shift points are often included, and maybe a higher rev limiter.
But this can be HUGE.
Chip mfrs. often LEAN things out a bit at full throttle. this seems opposite to racer stuff, but more power can be obtained. [still a rich ratio above stoichiometric]

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our entire community will tell you that Diablo is the 'bomb' when it comes to a hand held.

AGREED!!

I just wish they would get their --- in gear about developing and releasing the early, pre-2009, LSx versions of the Trinity already!
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuning my Buick made a large difference in drivability. They raised the WOT shift rev limiter and adjusted transmission tables. The changes made the car much more responsive to driver input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back