Grease Gun - Lever v.s Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking out getting another grease gun. I have an old Lincoln lever that works just fine but is a pita when I grease my truck. Some of the fittings are hard to get to and I find myself having to hold the whip end on the fitting while I try to pump the lever.

What is everyone's opinion of the pistol grip guns. Does it take an inordniate amount of strength to operate them.

I like the pistol grip fro the exact reason you state. One hand holding the hose and fitting and one on the gun. They are easy to use , never seemed too hard to squeeze.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
I like the pistol grip fro the exact reason you state. One hand holding the hose and fitting and one on the gun. They are easy to use , never seemed too hard to squeeze.

X2

the lever type is a pain to use, pistol,

Pistol grip is the best by far. If you have a lot of fittings air power is great. I have not had good experience getting greese guns to last very long either hand power or air.

Anyone have any suggestions on a great brand for the OP?

Pistol grip is is the best for all the reasons above. I've hardy ever been able to have the hose stay on a fitting.

Pistol grip allows the most options for awkward position and difficult fittings - one hand to hold the fitting, one to pump.

But I got an air driven one for the same price...and like it, easiest by far...

We use pistol grip grease guns on almost anything. The exception is a Lincoln electric grease gun, it saves your hand from getting tired on the big equipment.

I like the pistol type better too. I guess some of the lever types will deliver more grease per stroke and will pump grease easier into a hard to take grease point. Maybe where access is good, with the steel tube instead of the rubber hose, lot's of grease has to be delivered etc lever types are useful. If you finger tighten the grease coupler (and loosen to remove it) on to the grease fitting it will not pop off even with a rubber hose and not holding coupling on, but still for automotive use I like the pistol gun and see the lever as a disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back