Who makes best brake cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic I know, but whenever I see a brake cleaner thread I pipe up with the warning that Chlorinated brake cleaner and welding do not mix. A deadly gas can be released if you weld over a portion with any chlorinated brake cleaner still remainging. This gas can be fatal even in very small amounts.

Since I am a hobby welder, ever since I found out about this I only buy the non-chlorinated stuff. Even though it doesn't work as well.

[End of public service announcement]
11.gif

Originally Posted By: EricF
Berryman

and CRC before they took the chlorine out.

I thought the CRC green can was non-chlorinated and the red can was the original formula?

Do any NOT work? Dong know that Ive ever used chlorinated cleaner, but anything I've ever used has been fine. For a disposable solvent that is going to evaporate I'd say go with what is cheapest.

As a home DIY person without a high use rate I've found that the most important thing is which has the best can, as ones that get a leaky valve or similar issue make a real mess that is not good for anything...

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Off topic I know, but whenever I see a brake cleaner thread I pipe up with the warning that Chlorinated brake cleaner and welding do not mix. A deadly gas can be released if you weld over a portion with any chlorinated brake cleaner still remainging. This gas can be fatal even in very small amounts.

Since I am a hobby welder, ever since I found out about this I only buy the non-chlorinated stuff. Even though it doesn't work as well.

[End of public service announcement]
11.gif

Beat me to it.
thumbsup2.gif

That article should be posted on EVERY automotive/performance/fabrication/hobbyist website in the universe as a highlighted, notated, sticky!!!

I even tell any/every shop I go into about it, just in case they are oblivious, or have not heard about it.
wink.gif

At the shop , I often used plain water in a pump up pressurized garden sprayer to wash down drum brake assemblies.
Works great!
Brake fluid is solved by water, and dust washes off well with this..

But if there is grease, oil, or a storage/shipping film on a part, then you need a solvent type cleaner.

Who's to use? Whatever I grab.

Hard to find, but "Castle" brand makes a product called "shop solve"
Great brake clean and general purpose cleaner/degreaser.

I was at Walmart tonight to p/u a few cans, all the CRC, whether green can or red, both said non chlorinated. The Green can says "50 state formula". I buy the red can, the green can stuff doesn't seem to do much to clean grease or oil.

Originally Posted By: cronk
The Green can says "50 state formula".
Lemme guess...that's the politically-correct way of saying "The Third Reich of California forced us to make this version specially for them"
02.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: cronk
The Green can says "50 state formula".
Lemme guess...that's the politically-correct way of saying "The Third Reich of California forced us to make this version specially for them"
02.gif

Sounds about right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back