Ryobi leaf blower problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago I was doing an OC on my mower and I went ahead and decided to use the blower to clear off the debris left from last fall. The blower is a Ryobi (2-cycle) that is about 5 years old.

The blower started OK but never would get "up to speed". After turning off the choke and letting it warm up it just sounded like it was only about half speed and didn't have the whining sound it should. I shut it off and put fresh gas in it, but it still ran the same way. I remember last year it seemed like it was taking longer and longer to run normally.

Here's what I'm concerned about: Last Fall I noticed that the blower wheel (impeller) seemed to be fairly wobbly and would get very hot to the touch. I had used the blower as a vacuum last Spring to pick up the trillions of Maple (aka weeds) "helicopter" seed and apparently in the process of mulching them up a significant amount of fine, wet buildup got on the impeller and housing (for some time after that, while using it as a blower it would spit chunks of what looked like dirt). Is it possible that the junk on the blower/impeller might have put it out of balance and caused damage to the bearings - resulting in "drag" in trying to rotate the shaft? Or would it more likely be a fuel mixture type problem?

Last edited:
The first thing I'd check is the spark arrestor screen inside the muffler. When these clog (when, not if) they basically act like an exhaust-side throttle and won't let 2-cycle engines develop full power. I usually remove them completely. Don't tell the safety patrol... but I figure they're really only of great value on a chainsaw where the exhaust can get down to ground level into leaves and chippings, not a blower or weed-whacker where the exhaust is always between waist and shoulder height.

As for the bearing issue- make sure its not just a loose impeller or loose engine-to-housing mounting bolts. Been there, done that, on a Homelite (yes, a dispose-a-blower, but it's still running after 12 years).

Quote:
I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back in time.

I have a friend who's an AM radio announcer. When he walks under a bridge, you can't hear him talk.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll take a look at the screen and see if any mounting bolts are loose.

This Ryobi is sort of a "disposable" too. It gets the job done, but when I have to replace it I'll pony up for an Echo or similar quality unit...

Originally Posted By: Touring5
Thanks, I'll take a look at the screen and see if any mounting bolts are loose.

This Ryobi is sort of a "disposable" too. It gets the job done, but when I have to replace it I'll pony up for an Echo or similar quality unit...

Blowers are pretty light duty with fairly constant load and not a lot of RPM excursions like you get with a weed-whacker when the line gets short. I'll pony up for an Echo weed-whacker or a Stihl saw, but I doubt I'll ever need more leaf blower than what I've got.

:)

Well, it wasn't the spark arrestor. Evidently I removed that sometime in the past.

I've stripped it down and it doesn't look good. The shaft that the impeller mounts to is wobbly, definitely putting a drag on the motor. In fact, the pull cord doesn't want to retract.

I'm not sure how to get the spark module/housing off because of the nut on the shaft. I did notice that the inside of the plastic "ductwork" has worn due to the impeller rubbing against it.

I may take some pictures and then try to post them.

I mentioned the Echo because I saw one at HD that wasn't terribly more expensive than the ryobi type units. Even though that model isn't commercial quality, I'd hope it's better than something like a Yard Man, Ryobi, or similar.

I was also experiencing another (unrelated) problem last year with the throttle lever. It started popping out of the Full Speed detent position and dropping back to idle. I'd have to adjust my hand to both grip and hold the throttle full - not really easy for me. It'd be nice to get a new unit that works right, but I hate spending money...

My blower gets quite a bit of use in the Fall with having several mature trees on the property. Heck, we even use ours around here in the Winter sometimes to blow light snow.

Last edited:
Bummer. If the Echo is affordable, GO for it. IMO its one of the few brands that is distinctly superior to most others. Stihl is good too, but since Home Depot has increased the availability of Echo you might as well go with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back