Castrol GTX 5W30 '09 Subie Legacy 2.5i 5183mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the longest OCI in terms of time. I changed the oil, but not because of mileage. I started graduate school and my "commute" is less than 2 miles each way on surface streets, so the car rarely has time to warm up. I hate that. Should I extend the OCI back to my higher values, or change at 6 months?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Very great UOA, I would still change at at least 6 month intervals because of the possibility of the engine not getting up to temp. You could have good UOA's while possibly having a build-up of deposits in the engine. Sludge is just something a UOA does not seem to show. Otherwise great runs and thank you for posting! I have a new appreciation for GTX:)

Gtx is a oil which has no moly.Yet there it is. What are the other oils listed??? The Gtx figures are a result of the remaining moly as an example, of the other oils you used.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Very great UOA, I would still change at at least 6 month intervals because of the possibility of the engine not getting up to temp. You could have good UOA's while possibly having a build-up of deposits in the engine. Sludge is just something a UOA does not seem to show. Otherwise great runs and thank you for posting! I have a new appreciation for GTX:)

Thanks for that advice. I do not want any sludge to build up. I will keep my intervals to 6 months, which is what I will probably hit now instead of mileage.

This UOA was Castrol GTX 5W30. Going backwards, I had Rotella T6 5W40, Chevron 5W30, Chevron 5W30, Shell 5W30, Shell 5W30.

Given the 2 mile commute, I am surprised that your fuel and water are not higher in this UOA. Did you take a long drive immediately before sampling?

Yes. I know from being around here that cold, short drives increases those attributes in UOAs, so I took the long way home after school and changed the oil then.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Gtx is a oil which has no moly.Yet there it is. What are the other oils listed??? The Gtx figures are a result of the remaining moly as an example, of the other oils you used.

Well, it obviously does have moly. I like the add pack in the GTX.

Looks like Castrol changed the add-pack on GTX - has moly and boron now, and less calcium. doesn't really matter, as it gives good results, just interesting to see some oils 'moving back' to moly (GTX and PYB come to mind).

Originally Posted By: aigochamaloh
chubbs1 said:
...........I do not want any sludge to build up. I will keep my intervals to 6 months, which is what I will probably hit now instead of mileage............

Your short commute puts you under Subaru's defintion of "severe service", which means you should change your oil every 4 months. I assume you are still under the 3yr/60K powertrain warranty?

I guess it COULD happen but... why would a Subaru "sludge"?

Take it out once a week and warm it up. You live in CA. How tough is that on a Subaru flat four?

Hardly "severe service" except in the minds of some.

Cheers!

You have to contact PQIA and tell them to change recent listing of add pack. GTX has Moly now!!!! Magnesium is there too. Add pack was much like Valvoline dino/Next Gen too. But now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back