Magnefine filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnefine transmission and power steering filters - are they identical? On the one I have it says "extends the life of your AT and PS. Also are 1/2" filters larger then 3/8" or just different port sizes only?

Thanks

Yep.
Both do the same thing, circular magnet inside the filter before the filter element and a bypass valve in case your transmission or Power Steering takes a dump and loads it up while it is on its way out.

I currently have them used as an extra filter with transmissions.
I have them on 2 of my 3 vehicles. The vehicle that does not have it has a B&M in line filter set up with the transmission coolant loop.

The PS filter uses a lower bypass pressure.
You can use it on the ATF as long as the hose size is correct.
ATF filter: 5/16 3/8 1/2"
PSF filter: 3/8 ONLY!

I guess you guys are keeping up on these filters better than me. Did not know they have one just for the power steering? I have been using the filters interchangeably for the trans or the power steering.

If PS filter has a lower bypass setting, should it be changed sooner then recommended every 1 year or 20K km (if used in AT)?

There is no need to change it sooner or later.

I've used the ATF filters on the PSF system with no problem. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, if you have a 1/2" PSF return line, you can't use the PSF filter. Just use the ATF filter.

These inline filters also last 2x-3x longer then they're advertised for. Run them longer!

Originally Posted By: unDummy
The PS filter uses a lower bypass pressure.

Err... you sure about this? I ordered one a few months ago and I didn't recall the web page saying anything about this. Further, the order page didn't differentiate between the two. I just checked it again, and it doesn't say anything about different filters for AT/PS. If this is true, how does one go about ordering the different filters?

linky

And, sorry about the misinformation. The bypass is 'higher' on the PSF filter.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
In one series of tests of a 1/2" filter on a 5R110W transmission on a tranny dyno, the maximum pressure drop across the filter was ~4psi @ 3.5 gpm flow WITH THE BYPASS VALVE DELIBERATELY BLOCKED. The test results say "The cooler flow reduction was marginal and could not be measured with the test set up."

Another Ford test listed flow

5/16" clean element @ 7-8 psid, 70F = 1 gpm
5/16" clean element 18-20 psid, 70F = 2 gpm

5/16" loaded (per J-1858) element tested @ 4-5 psid, 150F= 2.5 gpm

Vehicle testing was done on cars at +20-+150F, cooler case in & out pressures were 2-4 psig higher than the production system w/o fitler. At -39F ambient, the test sheet notes: ... "no effect to lube flow, cooling or calibration were evident."

The bypass is rated to open at 4 psid (+- 1 psid). Ford tested them and found the bypass began to open @ 4.0 psid and was fully open by 7.14 psid.

Filter collapse was rated at "above 100 psid" by Ford, with the low test of 125 psi and a high of 160 psid in forward flow. In reversed flow, filter collapse was at 30-60 psid.

Filter burst pressure, of 12 filters tested, 10 reached 600 psig and two cracked right at 600 psig

In thermal tests, @ 275F, the filter were subjected to 120 psig and did not leak. At -40F, they passed the same pressure tests.

THey were also passed a 3000 hours @ 275F @ 60 psig test, and 300 hours at -40F @ 60 psig, as well as overtemp tests @ 328F @ 60 psig for 5 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
A rep from Boss stopped by my dealer about a week ago, with some samples of their Magnafilter magnetic filter attachments, and the Magnefine inline transmission and powersteering filters.

Very nice guy, had a binder full of testing and information. Much of these test were all done my independent labs and/or auto manufactures. The reduction of
The Magnefine's also show great results. I also found that the difference between the Magnefine Transmission & Power steering filters is the bypass valve setting. The power steering filters have a higher bypass setting allowing the higher pressure power steering fluid to maintain filtration where as the trans version might go into bypass when it doesn't need to be if installed in a power steering system.

Is the higher bypass pressure setting in PS filters way too high to use them them as transmission filters?

I goofed and ordered two PS filters instead of transmission filters last month. I called them while the filters were in route. The person I talked with said they are the same thing and to use with confidence. No problems to report.

I have been told (unless it's changed recently) that the only difference between the PS and the trans filters is the label and packaging. You will note that the filters packaged as PS types only have clamps while the ones packaged for trannies have short pieces of hose for splicing into a metal line. I have PS filters in the trannies of some of my trucks and vice versa. Been that way for a coupla years.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the answers, since I couldn't find transmission filter locally, I'm going to install PS filter instead.

I'm using a magnafine 3/8" in my Ranger pickup's p/s line using redline p/s fluid.
a few months ago I started noticing the steering more stiffer, I'm sure the filter is dirty or the bypass isn't working anymore.
It's due for a change out anyway.

Unless the PS is failing and blowing chunks internally, or the Magnefine has been in there for a really long time, it's unlikely that would be the cause of any change in feel. The bypass is pretty reliable and the filter flows the same. Still, if you're going to change it, open that puppy up and see what it collected.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Still, if you're going to change it, open that puppy up and see what it collected.

+1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back