complete service of a John Deere lt155 K51 w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you requested here are pictures of what I did when I serviced the Kohler 15hp motor and also the K51 tranny. Most of you probably are more interested in the tranny. That was actually easier than what I thought it was. Only problem was some how the drivebelt popped off the tranny pulley. To get it back on I ended up taking off the pulley at the motor. Thought I was good to go until I noticed it still wouldn't move. Fearing that I messed up the tranny(even though I knew I didn't) I looked all through the owner's manual to see what to look for on the belt. There wasn't ANYTHING on the drivebelt. So I carfully looked it over and found the tentioning spring had slipped off its notch. I got it back in place and all was good. This little sucker will actually pull the front wheels off the ground if I punch it on the driveway! It was no where near that firm before.

Here's the prey! This is exactly how I bought it. I've never done anything other than a quick run through the yard.
tractor014.jpg

Here's a pic of the motor oil. It's not as bad as it looks. I pour a little Seafoam in the case prior to oilchange. You can really see that it pulls the moisture and gunk out of oil.
tractor015.jpg

Here's a picture of the brake control on the left side. It was easier to unbolt it here and then take the cotter pin out of the back side once the tranny was dropped down. It made it easier to put it all together later.

tractor016.jpg

Knock out the drive pin on right side
tractor017.jpg

Pop drive belt off then remove the six bolts holding the tranny in place while using a jack to help support it. Make sure there's nothing in the way to grab the cooling fan.

It's out!
tractor018.jpg

It's cleaned!

tractor019.jpg

Under the filler cap (the bigger one) there was a spring and under that was a small screen filter. I cleaned that off with solvent prior to filling
tractor022.jpg

Here's a few pictureof the oil that was in the tranny. It was certainly very dirty. No, this isn't all of it. I had about 2 and a half of these filled.

tractor020.jpg

tractor021.jpg

Here's me being anal and POR15 on everything under the deck. It seriously makes it easy to keep clean under there when mowing damp grass. I only coat where the rusty areas are. You can see my brand new blades that are POR15'd in the bottom piuc too. The mower is about ready to go. I have to get a new belt for the deck and slap it back on. Should be ready for the season!

tractor023.jpg

YUP! I flipped on that too. I thought for sure it would be some sort of tranny fluid or hydro oil but nope. synthetic motor oil!

What's more when it was new it called for API 10w-30 but when servicing (even though this is suppose to be a non servicable unit) it calls for 5w-30 synthetic.

I`v got to do this on my CC. But yours seems to be a lot simpler to do. On mine I have to remove the fender pan,seat etc. And my Hydro gear trans call`s for 20W50. I was thinking about Mobil-1 15W50.

Originally Posted By: ponchonutty
What's more when it was new it called for API 10w-30 but when servicing (even though this is suppose to be a non servicable unit) it calls for 5w-30 synthetic.

I've seen a few specs now for TT units, such as they use 10w30 from the factory, but use 15w40 or 20w50 for drain/fills.

Yours looks to be in great shape. Not too oily on the outside, no heat discoloration and the fan is intact. All great things!

Joel

Yes I was happy to find that this tranny looked good. There was a little bit of oil caked on and around the vent but it wasn't too bad. The level was about a 1/4qt low.

The previous owner was very good about keeping it cleaned which really helps the life on these trannys. It came out of Florida where the grass is nothing like Ohio grass. The fella passed away and his son in law brought the mower to Ohio last fall. I traded him a bigger and older Troybuilt tracter with a 54" deck and snowblower with cab. I didn't like the deck on the Troybilt because it would clump grass pretty bad with the shoot cover and with it off it would throw the clippings all over the place. I wanted a mulching deck instead. I hope I made a good trade. This mower looks almost like new especially now that I cleaned it. The deck is certainly heavier duty compared to the old Troybilt.

Well I wondered about that too. The techs at Amsoil said that I'd be fine with the oil I used especially since I am not using it for anything other than to cut grass. If I was plowing in the winter maybe but even then they said I'd be OK. I ran it around the yard afterwards and it was 30 degrees out and it seemed just fine. Probably a thicker oil will give a more firm response on an older tranny so it should be OK. I've read others that have ran simmular oils with no problems.

Amsoil said the final weight of "50" is what I had to pay attention to more over than the initial cold weight.

Being a synthetic will help too as you know pumpability/flow is not compromised as much,,you'll be fine i'm sure.

plus it will aid with oil temps(thinning)if you pull with it say a thatcher or lawn roller etc...

Keep in mind that being synthetic, the oil is going to act differently than a conventional oil/fluid. So it will probably remain fluid at a lower temperature than a conventional.

You will know if its too thick, the thing will probably not move very fast if it gets too thick!

Last edited:
This is very true. Even when I poured the oil in the oil was maybe 40 degrees at best and it just ran out of the bottle. Again, running around the yard afterwards it seemed to run just fine.

Nice illustration of this procedure.

I used Mobil 1 extended performance 15w-50 when I did mine a few years ago, and it has worked perfectly.

I agree that keeping the transaxle clean and making sure the fan blades haven't broken off is very important.

At the end of each mowing season, I jack up the rear and remove the rear tires. This gives you a nice view of the transaxle and makes cleaning it much easier.

Good idea. I usually hand wash my mower 2-3 times a year plus blow them off when grass packs in there through out the year. Now the only thing I have left to do is find a belt that will fit on the deck (been trial and error with it) but I think I've got the right one coming. I also plan to get 2 new front tires because I have a slow leak in one of them and they both aready have plugs.

Nice post and pics!! I too have a JD but its a few series up from the LT, and luckily i dont have to go thru all that to change the fluid, thats alot of work!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my 155, and about what is the capacity of the trans? I'm guessing it's about 2 quarts from what I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back