Oil recommendation for high mileage Dodge Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport that's not quite ready for replacement and we are planning a July trip to San Antonio, where it's obviously going to be very hot. It's the 3.3l FF and has been serviced most of it's life at a local service center every 3-5,000 miles with whatever bulk dino they use. It's got 160,000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking about putting in Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 before the trip. This is a change from it's normal (and recommended) 5W-30 but I figured the reduced viscosity additive might help just a little in the extreme heat. What do you think of this choice and do these "boutique" oils really do anything for you--after all, it's done just fine on bulk dino and a fresh private label (cheap) filter all these years.

if you want a thick 30 weight because of the extreme heat or worrying about it shearing, you could also use maxlife. Their 5-30 is very close to a 40 weight.

Here's an interesting point...I just called the shop that does these changes and asked what oil they are using. Answer? "Kendall synthetic blend is our standard oil. "

Does anyone know the answer to the second part of my question: do the "high mileage" oils really have beneficial additives that standard oils do not? Is so, what are they and how do the concentrations differ?

Last edited:
If you are not buring any oil stick with the 5w-30. If you are starting to burn some oil, you could move to a 10-40.

If your not having any problems then keep doing what youve been doing. 5w30 is fantastic in any given situation. Todays dino is great stuff.

If Chrysler recommends 5W-30, then MaxLife 5W-30 would be the obvious choice for me.
beer3.gif

If it neither leaks nor burns oil to any significant degree, there is no reason to change.
If there are minor main seal leaks, or more than minimal consumption, a high miles oil might help.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Here's an interesting point...I just called the shop that does these changes and asked what oil they are using. Answer? "Kendall synthetic blend is our standard oil. "

Does anyone know the answer to the second part of my question: do the "high mileage" oils really have beneficial additives that standard oils do not? Is so, what are they and how do the concentrations differ?

I can't answer your question on the "high mileage" oils but if you're not having problems and they were using a synthetic blend, 2 things come to mind. There's no reason for you to do anything different, just stick with what you've been doing. If you're worried about the heat, why not go with Castrol Syntec 0w-30?

Last edited:
stick with what you've been doing. The shop I work at has had a 99 Grand Voyager with the 3.3 in it for the entire 10years I've been there and it has had a steady diet of Napa 5w-30 (ashland)up until the last 2 years when we switched to Chevron Supreme 5w-30 for our shop vehicles (it was cheaper and probably a better oil too). Anyways, it how has 254,000 miles on it and still runs great. The body is actually starting to rot away and will probably be shot well before the engine is.

HM oils do differ in additives- most still have appreciable quantities of moly as an anti-wear additive, as well as strong detergent packs to fight sludge. They also have seal conditioners that help prevent leaks. You can check VOA's on this site & see what each oil has in it, if you're curious.

My wife's XTerra just turned 100k and she wants to keep it till the wheels fall off, so I've been using Max Life 5W-30 or 10W-30 semi-synthetic in it since 85k. I don't know what it had in it the first 85k miles (bought it used) so I'm sticking with ML for any added protection it may offer.

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport that's not quite ready for replacement and we are planning a July trip to San Antonio, where it's obviously going to be very hot. It's the 3.3l FF and has been serviced most of it's life at a local service center every 3-5,000 miles with whatever bulk dino they use. It's got 160,000 miles on the clock. I'm thinking about putting in Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 before the trip. This is a change from it's normal (and recommended) 5W-30 but I figured the reduced viscosity additive might help just a little in the extreme heat. What do you think of this choice and do these "boutique" oils really do anything for you--after all, it's done just fine on bulk dino and a fresh private label (cheap) filter all these years.
I'd run Mobil 1 high mileage 5W30 or 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back