Nikon scanner working in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can hardly believe it, but I managed to get my Nikon Coolscan 5000 working in Windows 7. The software is not supposed to be able to work in Windows 7. I just downloaded the latest software from Nikon (which is supposed to work only in Vista and not Windows 7) and when a window came up I updated the software. Apparently there is some Microsoft software that enables the Nikon software to work in Windows 7.

I am starting to like Windows 7 even more! I can't get the Nikon scanner to work in the latest versions of Apple Mac OS X.

Of course it works, scanners only don't work with linux.....

grin.gif

Good job
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Of course it works, scanners only don't work with linux.....

grin.gif

Good job
cheers3.gif

I beg to differ. I recently picked up a cheap HP Officejet 4500 and Ubuntu 10.04 recognized both the printer and scanner without any assistance.

Are you using the 32bit or 64bit version of Windows 7 ?
I thought I would need to use Vuescan to run my Nikon on W7...

Thanks,
Dave

I am using the 32 bit version of Windows 7. I went to the Microsoft.com website and I typed in drivers for Nikon scanners. I came across some information that was presented by a guy who lives in Europe (I think it was Austria) and he explained how to make Nikon scanners work in 64 bit versions of Windows 7. He said that Microsoft has some software that will recognize the Nikon scanners, even though Nikon DOES NOT support Windows 7. I don't have a 64 bit version of Windows 7 but I figured I had nothing to lose and it was stated that the Microsoft software will recognize the 32 bit scanners.

So I followed the directions. The software at first would not work like was explained but a popup window came up for updatiing the driver. I updated the driver and suddenly I was able to run the Nikon software in Windows 7, even though Nikon does not support Windows 7. I can scan positive film (slide film) and negative film at both 8 bits and 16 bits. But not everything works-the Digital ICE does not work.

I was stunned. Almost all of my hardware worked in Windows 7 but the Nikon software would not work and Nikon was making totally no effort to update their software for either the latest versions of Mac OS X or Windows 7. I like Nikon scanners and Nikon camera equipment but their software in my opinion is terrible. Inspite of the lack of support from Nikon it is possible to get Nikon scanners to work in Windows 7. I am sorry but I did not note down where I found all of this information, but it is at Microsoft.com. You should be able to find it by typing in something like '64 bit drivers for Nikon scanners for Windows 7' in search.

I am sure that Nikon could easily develop support for their software for Nikon scanners for Windows 7 and the latest versions of Mac OS X. I think they just don't want to bother. Even though they still make a film camera (the F6) they think film is on the way out, even though there are a lot of people still shooting film.

I've been using Windows 7 for about a year and a half and there is almost nothing that doesn't work in 7. Within my company, we are doing all of the application testing right now. So far I'd say it's like 98% -- only stuff that doesn't work is the archaic stuff from the era of Windows 3.1 (yes, we still have some).

And for that, there's Windows XP Mode.

I am very impressed with Microsoft's support for software and hardware. The example of the Nikon scanners is a good example where equipment no longer supported by the developer can still be make to work in Windows 7.

Like I have said in another post, one of the reasons I very much like Microsoft and Windows is because of the excellent software and hardware support.

The one drawback to Windows is all of the malware directed at it. But the reason for the malware being directed at various versions of Windows is because Windows is so incredibly popular.

And it is possible to run Windows on a reasonably priced computer.

I am not receiving any money from Microsoft. I will say this-every time I ever had any dealings with Microsoft they were always friendly and helpful. I can still remember when I needed the SP2 update for Windows XP and I had just a dialup internet service. I contacted Microsoft and they sent me, for free, a CD with the SP2 update. I was a longtime customer of Apple products and I don't remember them ever giving anything away for free.

I think it is a simple fact that Windows operating systems have very good software and hardware compatibility. It is also a simple fact that in the world as a whole some 95% of desktops computers run some version of Windows.

This post is about my discovering that my Nikon scanner, even though Nikon states they do not support Windows 7 (or the most recent versions of Mac OS X for that matter), can be made to work in Windows 7. No thanks to Nikon but thanks to Microsoft. Based on my experience with Apple I can't see Apple worrying too much about it. You might have to jump through some hoops to get an Epson printer working with some Mac OS X systems, to say nothing about Nikon scanners. Apple did not seem to worry too much when they left a lot of people behind after Apple switched to Intel processors. People with the older computers, even if they have enough RAM and powerful processors, could not run the newest Mac OS X operating systems.

No, I am not on the take from Microsoft. But when a corporation does a good job with its products and has friendly and helpful service, I will say so. Even if it is not the popular thing to do.

It is popular in some circles to hate Microsoft. Well, if Microsoft provides good products and good service for me, I don't care. If somebody does good for me I will say so and I will buy their products, regardless if the company is Ford, Exxon/Mobil, Pennzoil, Microsoft, or whoever.

And until you have proof that I am on the take, I don't think you have the right to accuse me.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Windows is a great product, except that the OP was his fascination with something actually working.... j/k

Exactly how incomprehensible was your post before you edited it?

I will keep my posts and replies to posts professtional, Volvo_ST1. I don't have to resort to personal attacks on someone to make a point.

In another post here in the computer section I praised Apple Aperture software, said that I would buy an affordable Apple computer if there was one positioned between the iMac and the Mac Pro, and said other positive things about Apple. So how come you don't accuse me of accepting money from Apple?

I think what a person says in their posts and replies to posts here says a lot about the person and reflects on that person's character. I want to be able to feel good about my posts and replies to posts and I want to be a good human being who does not falsely accuse anybody of anything. Perhaps one of the moderators here will come along and observe what you have said in your postings. I have a question for you-regardless what you think of me, do you really feel proud about implying that I am accepting money from Microsoft? Does it really make you look good saying that a $50.00 check from Microsoft is in the mail for me?

In the end, can you really be proud of what you have written?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I will keep my posts and replies to posts professtional, Volvo_ST1.

Is that a first or second draft?

People who have zero humor baffle me.

So, how about a link to your praise of Apple? Did they pay you $50, too?

Keep attacking me Volvo_ST1. Everybody here can see your posts and your replies and make up their own minds about what you have to say.

I will not attack you or anybody else personally. Implying that somebody is getting paid under the table is not humor. In fact, we have already gone through that kind of stuff-where a guy here stated that he had received secret payment for promoting a certain product.

I don't care if it is 'in' or not to attack Microsoft. If I think Microsoft, or Ford, or Pennzoil, or any other company is doing a good job in some way I will not be afraid to say so. If I say something positive about Pennzoil will you accuse me of taking secret payments from Pennzoil?

I bet if I had accused you of getting money from some corporation you would be running to a moderator right now. It would not be 'humor' to you.

I will keep on saying what I want to say here as long as I stay within the rules of the people who own this website. I don't have to resort to personal attacks. I have as much right to post as any other member here.

You keep saying I am attacking you, I didn't. I made a joke that you failed to recognize. Now you keep going on and on and on. What ever did they do to you in kindergarten?

So 'What ever did they do to you in kindergarten?' (kindergarden) is also just a little humor? Actually, I don't think I attended kindergarden. I think I started school in the 1st Grade. At least that is my memory. So you are wrong about 'they' doing something to me in kindergarden.

And I don't keep going on and on. You keep coming back with sarcastic replies. You can keep that up-I don't care. For me, this ends here. See ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back