What grade of fuel is best for a 3.0 Duratec V-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you know, I pick up my 'new' 2003 Mazda Triubute LX this afternoon, which is powered by a 3.0L 'Duratec' V-6.

I've never driven/owned an SUV before, or even a V-6 vehicle...so natuarally, there will be lots of questions.

First: What gas grade do you find works 'best' in these engines? My lo-po Cavalier engine would run on ANY 87 swill. the 'generic' tech sheet for this vehicle says gas type is 'regular unleaded', but it has a realatively high 10:1 comp. ratio - will 87 regular do the trick?

Duratec owners - talk to me!!!

Wore one of those down to the nub in an Aerostar. Great engine.

Compression isn't the only reason for premium, but just listen carefully under load and at shifts. Hear knock? Go up a grade in fuel.

Mine ran well on swill!

My father has a Duratec 3.0L and I have the "baby" 2.5L Duratec. You should be fine with 87. If you notice some pinging, your car probably could use a professional fuel-injection cleaning service. Otherwise, I'd use some of the Top Tier fuels available in Canada such as Sunoco, which isn't Top Tier here for some reason...

What I was thinking was using the E10 89 octane mid-grade that McEwan sells up here at the exact same price as regular - seem like a good deal. I ran that a lot in the Cavalier.

I agree. Have one in a Sable. 87 octane usually Costco. 8,000 mile oil changes with PP and Motorcraft filter. 127,000 very reliable miles.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Compression isn't the only reason for premium, but just listen carefully under load and at shifts. Hear knock? Go up a grade in fuel.

Mine ran well on swill!

Aerostars never had a Duratec engine. You probably had the pushrod 3.0 "Vulcan" engine. Totally different engine.
Use 87 octane. If Ford/Mazda says its ok, it's ok. They're not lying to you. My Ranger also has 10:1 compression IIRC, and I've used nothing but 87 since the day I bought it. Runs great.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Mine ran well on swill!

Aerostars never had a Duratec engine. You probably had the pushrod 3.0 "Vulcan" engine. Totally different engine.
Use 87 octane. If Ford/Mazda says its ok, it's ok. They're not lying to you. My Ranger also has 10:1 compression IIRC, and I've used nothing but 87 since the day I bought it. Runs great.

Yep, our MPV has the duratec 3.0 and I've never run anything except reg...no problems...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
What I was thinking was using the E10 89 octane mid-grade that McEwan sells up here at the exact same price as regular - seem like a good deal. I ran that a lot in the Cavalier.

Use 89 octane if it costs the same as 87. Higher octane does not make your engine runs worse than lower.

Well for everyday use 87 octane it fine. But if towing for hard use 91+ helps. I used 93 octane pulling a trailer down to Ft. Smith against the wind and got 2 more mpg than the 87 coming back. And the wind was behind us coming back and the trailer was as loaded. I was surprised it even felt like it had more umph going up those hills. Both grades were from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back