Best grease for caliper slide pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on the best product for caliper slide pins? I've always used Syl-glide but am curious if there is a better product out there.

I use this stuff called Sil-Glyde silicone compound. Has high heat properties. I don't know were it's from as it was my fathers. Seems to work ok though.

Sil Glyde is the only way to go.
Had Permatex green snotty stuff before and I'm fairly confident you'd be better off not using "Grease" at all if you're going to use that junk. Every time I used that stuff the calipers were as good as seized after 6 months. With the Sil Glyde the slide pins remain free no matter the duration. I love the stuff.

I have use the Permatex GREEN syn lube and the Permatex BLACK syn lube and I like the BLACK much better. Have not tried the Sil-Glyde nor have I ever seen it. I too would like to try it as I have heard good things.

There are 2 NAPA auto parts stores in my area but a bit of a drive and close early especially on Saturday(2:00). A buddy an I usually go out parts hunting now and again, stop for lunch/coffee. It's probably time for a NAPA run.
smile.gif

I am currently using the the green permatex syn, and it seems to be working just fine. What about this grease makes less than desirable?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I am currently using the the green permatex syn, and it seems to be working just fine. What about this grease makes less than desirable?

I only noticed the differenct when changing to the BLACK Lube from the GREEN Lube. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. I liked how nice and longer the BLACK has lasted and how much water was kept out of the system especially when changing out brakes and lubing the sliders after a long winter.

Often while rotating my tires on the car, I like to sometimes bleed the brake system and check out the brakes/rotors for ware along with relubing the sliders and the brake pad backing(shim side of course).

The Permatex BLACK with the RED Label as compared to the GREEN with the GREEN label, seems to withstand moisture and road salt much better than the Green lube does in my experience. Parts seem to move more freely and for a longer period of time, much better with the BLACK(actually it's dark gray) but, you get my point!

When using the GREEN in the past, each time I would replace brakes or brakes/rotors, 1, 2 or more sliders would bind up/stick more often with the GREEN and I don't seem to have these issues with the BLACK lube at all!

Now, I'd really like to try the Syn-Glyde to see if it's even better still! So, those who live in the salt belt of winter, are the responces that I'm looking to read.

Plumber's faucet stem lube.

Essentially your basic water proof silicon grease. $2 for a large tin. Resists high temps. and stays were you put it.

Stuff lasts until the pad material is completely gone

Originally Posted By: gomes512

Essentially your basic water proof silicon grease. $2 for a large tin. Resists high temps. and stays were you put it.

Is this what you use on your own vehicles?

anyone try the Permatex extreme in purple? it said to contain ceramics solid and resist high temp. i like to know how it withstand to water and keep pins moving. thanks.

Even chassis grease is 10,000 times better than dry.

Now we are into splitting hairs. The Black Permatex has been good for me, so far. They say it contains everything but the kitchen sink.
Sly Glide can be felt as being full of silicones. It is very good.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
anyone try the Permatex extreme in purple? it said to contain ceramics solid and resist high temp. i like to know how it withstand to water and keep pins moving. thanks.

I used SilGlyde for many years, then was duped by marketing to try the new fangled products. I tried the Bendix purple ceramic lube and it dried up and seized my Caravan calipers. Others here have had good success with it. I'm tying the green Permatex now, but will return to Silglyde if I have to.

MechtechII, Silglyde has been around for years, but I question how much Silicone it really contains. The MSDS shows barely a trace. It turns yellow when exposed to light, unlike true silicone greases. I know it has castor oil in it. And, in your palm, it will mix with water easier than silicone. It sure works well, though.

The "black/gray" Permatex appears to be a pure silicone grease with a bit of moly added according to the MSDS. I'm starting to lean towards the old standby silicones and drop the new stuff (this will make Kestas happy).

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I used SilGlyde for many years, then was duped by marketing to try the new fangled products. I tried the Bendix purple ceramic lube and it dried up and seized my Caravan calipers. Others here have had good success with it. I'm tying the green Permatex now, but will return to Silglyde if I have to.

MechtechII, Silglyde has been around for years, but I question how much Silicone it really contains. The MSDS shows barely a trace. It turns yellow when exposed to light, unlike true silicone greases. I know it has castor oil in it. And, in your palm, it will mix with water easier than silicone. It sure works well, though.

The "black/gray" Permatex appears to be a pure silicone grease with a bit of moly added according to the MSDS. I'm starting to lean towards the old standby silicones and drop the new stuff (this will make Kestas happy).

thanks, i will have to get some of that SilGlyde when i am at US next time.

I also like SylGlyde. Seems to keep everything nice and free for the longterm. We don't have all the salt on the roads in the winter like up north though. It just seems to work regardless of what the MSDS says?

Also, at Napa, the tube is so big, I'll probably end up passing it on to my kids when I die LOL!

I used the Permatex extreme purple last year on the wife's car. Chose it mainly for its low water washout specs. It seems to be much thicker when applying it than other slide pin greases, so I can see how it could withstand water washout better. So far no problems with it, pins are still moving normally.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: gomes512

Is this what you use on your own vehicles?

Yes all four, two GM's, two Mopars.

3 of the 4 are over 140K and one is at 40K. Never had a stuck caliper pin or bulging slide pin boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back