Super S motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody heard of this oil? I was at a couple of auto stores today and they all were carrying it. Seems to be real popular at Mom and Pops auto stores. I asked the owner about it and he said its the up and coming new brand. I never heard of it before today and thier website states they make/blend it and test it at thier own facility and its not some rebadged name brand. Interesting, I didnt ask how much it was today, I just noticed they made ATF, Gear oil, motor oil, synthetic and synthetic blends. I may give it a try if the price is decent, its so hard to beat closeouts at Walmart though.

I like this statement on their contact page.

Smitty's Supply, Inc.
• is one of the leading manufacturers in the world of lubricants and related products

To think it has been kept such a closely guarded secrete all these year. From the picture on the same contact page it looks like they are just another small compound blender.

In over 21 years in the oil industry I've never heard of them until now.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Why would they make non-detergent oils still? There are plenty of heavy weight modern oils that will perform far better.

Maybe for use in engines that don't have filters, such as lawn mowers. You wouldn't want the detergent in the oil to break free any sludge and have it do damage. You'd want the sludge to stay put and not circulate. At least that's the reason I've always heard since I was a kid.

Originally Posted By: Big_Ed
Why would they make non-detergent oils still? There are plenty of heavy weight modern oils that will perform far better.

Maybe for use in engines that don't have filters, such as lawn mowers. You wouldn't want the detergent in the oil to break free any sludge and have it do damage. You'd want the sludge to stay put and not circulate. At least that's the reason I've always heard since I was a kid.
Most people use whatever oil they have handy for their lawnmowers, which is usually detergent containing oil. I just thought it was strange when I looked on their website product list and saw a line of non-detergent oil listed.

Super S is distributed by Smitty's.I lived about a mile from their headquarters in Arcola, Louisiana for six years. They do in fact brew their own stuff, I don't know about base stocks. I used their products often, as did many people in their cars, trucks, and commercial trucks. I never had a problem with them, of course I never did a UOA or anything either. I used their ATF (mopar +3 and +4), Gear Lube (synthetic 75w-140, dino 85w-140), and engine oil.

I never heard of them either and that is strange if they are as big as they claim on thier website. Thier oils are cheap enough though. I stopped back at that small Parts store and asked how much thier 5w20 oil was in the blue jugs and its $2.09 a qt, synthetic 5w20 is $6.00 a qt and what I thought was a Great deal was Synthetic 75w90 gear oil at $6.95 a qt. He said if I bought it buy the case he might be able to do better, so at that, those prices are competitive with Walmart.

Just saw a bunch of this at a few local stores...seems to be growing here.

Also saw their Dexos1 syn bottle too.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
At $2.09/qt for Super S 5W20, I would spend a few cents more and purchase a proven brand, e.g. Motorcraft synblend, Chevron Supreme, etc.

Why? I can't see it doing worse than those brands.

I would like to see a few more VOAS/UOAS on it though.

Classic cars need non detergent oils sometimes

it depends on what kind of oil filtration the engine has, some classics only have a metal strainer so would have no way of removing the particles kept in suspension by modern detergent oils which would increase engine wear.

i found some at a local parts store / machine shop. salesman said that they sell alot of super S hydraulic oil and the motor oil is catching on. i might have to try some...

Originally Posted By: car51
So what's the consensus that a BITOG'er should go in this oil in a clean engine??

I've never done any tests on it, other than using it in a few cars that I maintain. I did have my wife pick up about 10 5-quart jugs the last time that she was in Menards and they had it on closeout. AFAIK, it a decent oil and is economy-priced because they do no advertising. Think about that the next time you see a racing event with 500 oil advertisements plastered all over or a giant inflatable oil filter at the admission gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back