Transmission filter OEM or Aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some reviews that clearly spell out the difference between an OEM and aftermarket OIL filter, but nothing about transmission filters.
I bought a Duralast Transmission filter for my 98 Expedition, but as I become more educated, I have to wonder if it is worth the extra bucks to go with the Motorcraft from the dealer.
Duralast says "meets or exceeds OEM requirements for fit and function"

The vehicle in my signature also uses what appears to be a mesh screen as the only filtration. I replaced it with a Beck/Arnley filter which looked identical. Should I go with OEM next time I do a pan drop?

Last edited:
I've noticed the problem with duralast, autozone's house brand, it's hard to tell where they're getting their parts from.
the duralast belts are supposed to be Dayco, but when I had one in my had it felt like a vacuum cleaner belt, didn't like to flex, very greasy and was made in china.
I've always used aftermarket tranny filters, never have had an issue, and I don't run magnafine's inline yet.
Although I wouldn't buy a generic branded (white box type) filter, a regular name, ATP, Wix, Purolator, etc.. I'd have no problems with.
For me the big issue was the gasket.. I don't like the cork, and some companies ONLY use cork, others, rubber, others fiber, etc..
I try and stick with ATP only because I like the pan gaskets, never have I had a leak.
Long ago fram used to roll the gasket up into a roll and that just turned me off.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Beck/Arnley seem to match OEM specs for most Japanese, east asian model cars for the most part.

When I sold aftermarket parts one of the parts chains I worked at sold BA parts. They were just repackaged parts from other mfg's. I never saw a part that BA themselves made? If you had an import vehicle and bought a BA part 99.9999% of the time it was basically the OE part. For example. I had a 1988 Dodge Ram 50 which was basically a relabeled Mitsubishi. The OE oil filter was made by a Asian mfg. The filter in the BA box was the identical filter( everything from paint to writing )as the MOPAR filter which was repacked from that Asian mfg. I honestly can't recall it ever being a different situation any time I looked at the part and could at least tell who made it.

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I have seen some reviews that clearly spell out the difference between an OEM and aftermarket OIL filter, but nothing about transmission filters.
I bought a Duralast Transmission filter for my 98 Expedition, but as I become more educated, I have to wonder if it is worth the extra bucks to go with the Motorcraft from the dealer.
Duralast says "meets or exceeds OEM requirements for fit and function"

It really depends on the transmission in question. Most times a quality aftermarket filter and gasket kit will do just fine. There are times though when the OE filter seems to be the only thing that works. A good example would be as already mentioned above with some transmissions from Chrysler having issues with aftermarket trans filters.

The 3rd Generation Dodge Ram trucks( 03-8/09 HD's )with the 5spd 545RFE transmission have a TON of issues with aftermarket filters. They have a regular filter in the pan attached to the valve body but they also have a secondary filter/screen and the aftermarket stuff just doesn't work well with this setup for some reason?. They are one of those exceptions where the OE part seems to be the best option.

Your best bet is to investigate your specific application on a message forum specific to that vehicle. You should be able to tell if you can use aftermarket or if going OE is best.

Duralast box says made in Taiwan (big turn off for me),

Website says:
Features & Benefits

Designed using high-quality components for maximum engine protection. Meets or exceeds all OE requirements.
Part Number: TF325
Weight: 1.4 lbs
Manufacturer: Champion Laboratories, Inc.

It has a rubber gasket with it, but I heard that the original factory one is reusable anyways

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
On most Fords it won't matter, they are steel mesh.
I can't speak for "most" Fords, but the filter on my Marauder with 4R70W and the filter on my sister's '99 Taurus are both regular filter media, not a screen.

I have yet to take the old one out and take it apart for inspection, but when looking into the hole, there appears to be a sponge like material. Don't know what that is yet, or what it's covering.

I tracked down manufacturer of Duralast filters.
Here is their reply.
Looks like aftermarket is as good as Motorcraft.

Yes, we make the Autozone Duralast transmission filters. While we manufacture the majority of our products in the USA, we purchase our transmission filters from overseas suppliers. That being said, the filters still have to meet or exceed the OE specifications. If not, we do not accept the filters. Our filters are built to the same OE specs as the Motorcraft, so you should not have any issues. Unfortunately, the majority of brands are purchasing their transmission filters from overseas, due to the cost of manufacturing. We manufacture over 25 brands of aftermarket filters (AC Delco, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, STP, K&N.......), as well as several OE filters. In fact, we make the filters that Ford puts on at the factory. We are well aware of specifications and take every precaution to ensure quality.

Thanks,

Peter Craig
Tech Rep
Champion Labs
1-800-882-0890

Not sure about all makes, but in my particular application most "AT filters" sold in stores are just oil filters with the correct size threading to fit. At the dealer the oil and AT filter have different part numbers, look different, and are made very differently.

OEM only for me.

OP is talking about pan filter and not screw-on filter.

I find that you can't go wrong with OE pan filters. If you know what you're looking for, you can probably find identical at your local auto part store. But, you have to hope that they carry more than 1 brand. They are plenty of cheap replacements with bad filter seals, o-rings, or pan gaskets. Consumers want cheap and that is what some stores will stock. Compare your duracrap filter with the OE for quality, look, fit, and feel. I'd buy the Motorcraft filter simply because you don't change it often. I've also found some high quality Wix, ATP, and Fram ATF filters.

Concerning screw-on filters, I've seen no issues with using oil filters.

I agree with you unDummy. You can't go wrong with OE. I was about to return my filter, and go spend the extra $$ at Ford since after participating in the forum, I see how important this stuff is...I used to think it was all the same, more or less.
Then Factory tells me that "Duracrap"
smile.gif
meets or exceeds original spec. I can't tell what's sales promotion [censored] and what is truth.
I am planning to do the filter and fluid change tomorrow, and am debating, whether to drive the 15 miles to the dealer to get the OE Filter. I saw a good u-tube Motorcraft video that clearly spells out the difference between Motorcraft oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, cabin filters, but nothing on tranny pan filters. Maybe this is the reason?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCfjIOFxC84&feature=related

I may still go to the dealer for the piece of mind.

I've used spin-on oil filters on my GM vehicles for years. Right now I have a filter base on my Lumina that I welded up with a steel plate and a hydraulic fitting of the correct size and thread pitch. I initially put an oil filter for a small-block chevy on it (I forget the number, but the one I looked up was for a mid-70's chevy pickup with a 350).

It worked well enough, but I did a little research because I wanted a filter with an internal bypass (for obvious reasons). Turns out that the Duramax diesels use a filter with the same threads and gasket size as a small-block chevy, but with a built-in 14psi bypass valve. I THINK the number for the AC filter was PF2232, but don't hold me to that. It's a little taller than the filter for a chevy 350, but fits just fine. Anybody could make pretty much the same setup with a remote filter base for a small-block chevy... which is common as dirt.

I was initially changing the filters every year or two, which I KNOW is overkill... but I was kinda paranoid about that lack of a bypass. But over the years I've cut several of those filters open, and there was very little visible crud- I could probably leave one of those filters in place for a decade or more before it became an issue. Now that I'm using a filter with an internal bypass, I'll probably leave it in place for at least three years/40,000 miles or thereabouts. Maybe longer depending on what I feel like doing.

I'm sure that a Magnefine filter or the like would work just as well- but a big spin-on oil filter has a HUGE media surface area by comparison... and can be purchased at walmart. I also added a hard drive magnet (rare-earth... really strong) to the inside of the oil pan to catch extra ferrous crud.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
OP is talking about pan filter and not screw-on filter.

I find that you can't go wrong with OE pan filters. If you know what you're looking for, you can probably find identical at your local auto part store. But, you have to hope that they carry more than 1 brand. They are plenty of cheap replacements with bad filter seals, o-rings, or pan gaskets. Consumers want cheap and that is what some stores will stock. Compare your duracrap filter with the OE for quality, look, fit, and feel. I'd buy the Motorcraft filter simply because you don't change it often. I've also found some high quality Wix, ATP, and Fram ATF filters.

Concerning screw-on filters, I've seen no issues with using oil filters.

I just changed the tranny filter on my 2004 Grand Marquis. I wanted to get the Motorcraft filter but it wasn't available locally so I bought a Purolator. I wondered if Purolator made the Motorcraft transmission filters since they make the Motorcraft oil filters.
When I removed the old filter it was EXACTLY the same as the Purolator. Both had the name "Microguard" or something like that, same numbers, exact same design. I think I am the first one to change the filter on this car. The factory packing plug was still in the bottom of the pan and it had the original factory type gasket.
This vehicle currently has about 80K miles - I bought it with about 35K miles or so.

my 09 taurus began having a tranny fluid leak. i noticed it in the driveway and it's leaking slowly but still leaking as we speeak. it began a few days ago. should i add about a quart and take it to a mechanic or transmission shop? i jacked it up and saw the leak was coming from the transmission pan. what was the cause of this and how can i fix it and how much will it be roughly?

Since automatic transmissions are a closed system changing the filter is pretty much un-needed. The filter is simply to keep any larger particles from being sucked up inside the pump. If an automatic transmission filter gets clogged it is usually by transmission parts and a filter change isn't going to fix that.

Automatics don't suck in huge amounts of air and have no combustion occurring inside them. The really big enemy of an automatic is heat as too much heat breaks down the fluid's lubricating properties.

Quite a few automatic filters are simply wire screens and Honda automatics don't have any way to change their filter but transmission dis-assembly.

With this being said I am sure there are instances where a filter change did help a transmission, but those are rare instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back